Change supercruise!

Change supercruise to a toggle that automatically aims and moves to the target at hand. Make the toggle turn the function off and give it a shortcut key option. This could also be applied to other systems and warp. This allows it to circle a sun and scoop or follow a route while auto scooping. This would speed up travel times but remove the ability to detail scan unless present to use the basic scan and stopping for more.
It needs to take into account ship heating abilities and warping without frying or damaging the ship.

As is supercruise assist does not take into account rings and runs into them when trying to orbit such bodies.

as much as there are plenty of things I can find to be frustrated with and wish were better the actual flying the ship myself part is basically fundamental to the gameplay. Having the supercruise assist do all the flying for me by plotting and moving me to my course would negate the need for me to be there at all. I already feel like I'm on autopilot flying 10kls to a station as it is.
Actually that isn't true, there aren't a lot of things, only a few very specific things which I find frustrating under developed and in need of further expanded effort. That and I tend to be annoyed a lot all on my own anyway.
Having more information feedback in game- searchable database of visited stations containing trade data, shipyard and outfitting updated based on current in game commander activity across the galaxy
a discovery database that allows me to list nearest stars within a radius and plottable exploration grid showing visited systems discoveries made, resources per system in a user friendly searchable format
the ability to plot multi-star routes manually as well as a suggested route by auto plotting the way we do now
the ability to jump to any star in a system which meets the requirements of our ship jump range
a more balanced combat rating system which accurately reflects the difficulty of the ships one will face in a given scenario
A better c&p system which allows a commander to still pay off a fine at a multiplicative rate based on their noteriety rather than having to stall in game for up to 20 hours to let it degrade ( noteriety 1-x1, 2-x2, 10=x10 bounty to remove wanted status.)
a piracy faction which allows the player to a:join pirate faction and be a pirate b: gives players a means to pay a bribe to said faction to prevent loss of cargo

But no, we still need to do our own flying.

Last edited:
Change supercruise to a toggle that automatically aims and moves to the target at hand. Make the toggle turn the function off and give it a shortcut key option. This could also be applied to other systems and warp. This allows it to circle a sun and scoop or follow a route while auto scooping. This would speed up travel times but remove the ability to detail scan unless present to use the basic scan and stopping for more.
It needs to take into account ship heating abilities and warping without frying or damaging the ship.

As is supercruise assist does not take into account rings and runs into them when trying to orbit such bodies.

It's a game about flying spaceships, making decisions and taking into account your and your ships capabilities.

Flying around stars should be dangerous, how does your computer know when coronal mass ejection might happen, sometimes rings are so hard to spot I have flown through them myself, what about interedictions, when do we get and anti-interdiction auto-pilot to remove any need to actually be there. Maybe this game just doesn't do what you want because what you want is not what this game is about?

I'm using this for exploration. It's balanced because it goes slower than manually but lets me watch what is going on. Sorry, I don't want to waste more time/energy than this. I like conveniences. We could add it and let you choose how you want to fly it. You don't have to use or activate the module. Not about game balance.

This isn't about nay sayers. It's a suggestion many would want to sue for their personal style of play. It also makes anything else easier to kill for pirates. Maybe they want people to use it more. It benefits many playstyles. Doesn't matter what you believe people should have to do in game.

Last edited:
I'm using this for exploration. It's balanced because it goes slower than manually but lets me watch what is going on. Sorry, I don't want to waste more time/energy than this. I like conveniences. We could add it and let you choose how you want to fly it. You don't have to use or activate the module. Not about game balance.

This isn't about nay sayers. It's a suggestion many would want to sue for their personal style of play. It also makes anything else easier to kill for pirates. Maybe they want people to use it more. It benefits many playstyles. Doesn't matter what you believe people should have to do in game.
the super cruise assist is useful for exploration, it allows you to orbit a planet or star and refuel while orbiting. you can tell it to take you to a planet or station and drop you out at that location. it even stops you on entry to a system to insure you don't run into a star if you're distracted out of game. I use it for exploration regularly on my conda simply to free my hands so I can stretch between each system to keep from cramping up from mapping and all that. Thats really all it needs to do. you have to manually face the location you're trying to fly to in order to activate it and select it in the nav panel to go into orbital mode.
A key bind to tell it to do that would be faster but it seems like it already does everything you're suggesting.

I heard NMS is looking for players. The game does most of the fun parts for you.

How would you use it for exploring? The point of exploring is to jump in a system and then search and map any worthwhile planets. That is how I got 3 ranks leading up to Elite going from the bubble to the core and back. Stopping at every system to check for anything worthwhile.

I still can't believe they added SC assist for all the lazy CMDR's. SC Assist seems like the perfect tool for you travel in system without really doing anything. If you are PC get Voice Attack and set up a command to set SC Assist

I would prefer in system it auto moves to the next target when I pick a new one. Then I can more easily scan bodies. I would still need to change targets. The rest is route logic that would let you get to far systems nicer. The long travel is really pointless.

What they could do is make basic assist a default module and make an advance ones you can waiste a slot on. I would waist the slot on it for more features.

And if you want to travel the old fashion way you could turn the basic module off.

Then auto route traveling and aiming at targets automatically would only work for the advanced module.

Lestat

Banned
I would prefer in system it auto moves to the next target when I pick a new one. Then I can more easily scan bodies. I would still need to change targets. The rest is route logic that would let you get to far systems nicer. The long travel is really pointless.

What they could do is make basic assist a default module and make an advance ones you can waiste a slot on. I would waist the slot on it for more features.

And if you want to travel the old fashion way you could turn the basic module off.

Then auto route traveling and aiming at targets automatically would only work for the advanced module.
Add a few macros and bot management and the game is playing itself.

I want the ship to fly itself, in a game where the primary game play element is flying space ships....riiiiiight!

I have no problem with SuperCruise as it is - You point to the planet and if you set the Cruise to medium range at the 200Km point, (or before that point), it will slow you down to enter Orbital Cruise - I would like an actual orbit function in the Orbital Cruise mode to facilitate planetary orbiting while surveying a particular planet or moon.

I would like an actual orbit function in the Orbital Cruise mode to facilitate planetary orbiting while surveying a particular planet or moon.

An orbital mode separate from the rest of the stuff would indeed be useful, I just don't want the SC Assist stuff that goes with it. We should be able to orbit any body, that seems an obvious feature to have in a space ship flying game.

Explorer checking in.. No.. Just no. I honestly can't see how it would be useful. If it takes more than 1 orbit of a star to refill my tanks, there's something wrong - I probably need a bigger scoop. SC Assist will orbit planets now, just I've never been able to work out how it determines orientation. And again, if it takes me more than 1 orbit to map it, I'm doing it wrong.

If you like all the conveniences, perhaps exploration in ED isn't for you, maybe try mining or running courier and passenger missions, most of those get done for you. Or maybe try another game.

I mean, supercruise assist is nice because of my wonky stick drift, but come on, man.

Surely you just need to hit the ALT controls setting while you are cruising then? That way it won't drift.

Yes the orbital thing is a bit weird, you should be able to set orbital height and direction, depending on certain physical parameters of course, orbiting 50 metres above an airless world, while technically possible, would be just terrifying!

Surely you just need to hit the ALT controls setting while you are cruising then? That way it won't drift.

Yes the orbital thing is a bit weird, you should be able to set orbital height and direction, depending on certain physical parameters of course, orbiting 50 metres above an airless world, while technically possible, would be just terrifying!
you can adjust your heading and elevation in orbit. While orbiting slow down and change direction to what ever direction you want to go in, whether with or against the planets rotation, it does have a lower limit to elevation but it does get you pretty close to the drop zone if you want it to, you simply have to place yourself manually where you want to be in the orbit and then adjust speed back to blue.

Not sure exactly what OP is expecting to do but the flight assist does pretty much everything he's described except auto adjust and select course for you. Which again, as the pilot that is the players job. I wouldn't want it to fly the entire pre selected route for me but in system its a nice asset at times. I can refuel, select a planet or moon fly to it set orbital direction and map it all while letting the auto assist do its thing. Nice part of it is that I can take control of the ship again simply by accelerating or selecting a new target body. While I do want to be able to manually plot to multiple stars manually selecting my own route I don't actually want the assist module to do any of that work for me. Granted I do think flight assist and landing computer should be a built in component of the ship systems and not a module but with the function of being able to choose to use them or not. As well as the ability to select a designated landing location on the surface when recalling the ship.

Top Bottom