News Chapter Four Exploration Recap

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Good afternoon, Commanders.

Tonight you'll be able to join Lead Community Manager Edward Lewis and Senior Designer Adam Bourke-Waite from 7PM BST live on Youtube, covering the recently revealed Exploration changes coming to Beyond - Chapter Four and fielding some of your questions.

We hope to see you there!

NOTE - we will not be showing off any video footage or new images of the features on tonight's stream. Streams showcasing this will be in the coming weeks.

www.youtube.com/elitedangerous/live

Last edited by a moderator:
Can they get hold of pith helmets to wear at such short notice? They'd look like real explorers, and they would be protected from peanut husks.

I guess they will also be showing the new scanners in action and not just talk about it?

Can't wait to see that!

I guess they will also be showing the new scanners in action and not just talk about it?

Can't wait to see that!

I think they said videos/demos would be for later. That stream will be a recap of the forum post with kind of a Q&A about it.

If you are taking questions from here, could you please ask the following?

Will the initial honk / scan upon entering a system, reveal all emissions? And if so, will it be possible to eyeball these emissions to determine the planet type they represent (without first having to fiddle with with interface)?

Another way to ask this is; using the initial unrefined emission data, will it still be possible to get an instant idea of what planets are in a system?

Last edited:
Question

Is the new HUD part of the in-cockpit view or will be a full overview like the galaxy map and System map?
If it is a full overview, would there be a way to add it a screen that pops up in front of you like the Station Services does (this would be much better for VR implementation). Also the galaxy map and system maps would be much better like this too.

Has the new HUD been tested in VR and how will it work with VR headsets?

If you are taking questions from here, could you please ask the following?

Will the initial honk / scan upon entering a system, reveal all emissions? And if so, will it be possible to eyeball these emissions to determine the planet type they represent (without first having to fiddle with with interface)?

Another way to ask this is; using the initial unrefined emission data, will it still be possible to get an instant idea of what planets are in a system?

I'm think Adam confirmed that in the mega thread, let me look...

Maybe this ? https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/447043?p=7010569#post7010569

Question

Is the new HUD part of the in-cockpit view or will be a full overview like the galaxy map and System map?
If it is a full overview, would there be a way to add it a screen that pops up in front of you like the Station Services does (this would be much better for VR implementation). Also the galaxy map and system maps would be much better like this too.

Has the new HUD been tested in VR and how will it work with VR headsets?

Yes please, I'm also very interested in this!

Sweet! Cheers!

If you're answering questions, is there a possibility we get a system map or something similar where we can see the locations of the electromagnetic signatures in relation to each other? To make it possible to see whether planets are orbiting each other, or whether a big gas giant has other gas giants as moons?

QUESTIONS:

Would it be possible to reveal everything through the honk (like now), if the system has a NAV Beacon? Instead of scanning the NAV beacon, which would require leaving SC?

Can you change the current non-persistent POIs reveal (blue circle that disappears below 2.5km) with an exact fix on them if the player is using a DSS for it?

Will you consider a new module with both ADS-DSS functionality, (class 3, 8t?), for those that want to preserve their compartments? This will add more diversity to the exploration load-outs, without the complexity to develop a rack-able compartment.

QUESTIONS:

Would it be possible to reveal everything through the honk (like now), if the system has a NAV Beacon? Instead of scanning the NAV beacon, which would require leaving SC?

Or if not, maybe let us scan the Nav beacon from SC?

Awesome ! Hope we'll get to see the new mechanics in action / video since some aspect of the explanation / screenshot are not clear to me. I will be there for the live ! :)

Last edited:
I will watch this with interest. Really hope we see the new exploration/scanning mechanic in action, and also find out a little more of what's in store for us in Q.4.
Quick Draw McGraw.

/Des'ree

Hi Adam and Ed, I have a question:

When we map a landable planet, is it planned in Q4 that the different shades of color we see from space will represent a different mix of elements which we can find on the surface in the SRV ? (At present, the proportions of elements appears to be independent of surface color we are driving across.)

Is there a co-ordinate system in the new scanner system, so if we find an interesting planet or site, we can share it with others without them having to search for it?

(Sorry! respamming this question!)

Top Bottom