News Chapter One Beta closure and last weekend of the beta treats

Greetings Commanders,

The Chapter One 3.0 beta will finish on February 9. This week will be your last chance to jump in to your Alliance Chieftain before we take the beta servers down for a while, in preparation for the launch of Chapter One. Keep an eye on our social media channels, the newsletter, and our forums for more information on when Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter One arrives for all Elite Dangerous players.

On February 6, the beta servers will go down shortly to allow us to update to beta 3, which will be as close to the 3.0 release build as possible.

Last weekend of 3.0 beta – special treats

Because there’s only one weekend left on the test servers, we have made a few changes for the beta:
- Firstly we’ve made all Engineer recipes so they require only 1 unit of iron to complete.
- We’ve done the same to Technology Broker blueprints – they will require only 1 unit of iron to complete.
- We have given all Commanders who join the beta, 100 units of iron and 100 units of selenium in order to take advantage of the above, and get playing around with some of the Engineering changes and new Technology Broker modules.
- All ships, weapons and modules are now down to 10% of their normal price. Now’s the chance to play around with the ship of your dreams, even if you can’t afford it in the main Elite Dangerous experience!

We wanted to take a moment to thank every Commander who loaded up the beta during this testing period. The feedback you provided was absolutely invaluable in making Chapter One of Beyond the best Elite Dangerous experience possible.

And we thank you for the opportunity to test all that stuff and give the team our feedback.

Now I can't wait for the release :D

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Greetings Commanders,

The Chapter One 3.0 beta will finish on February 9. This week will be your last chance to jump in to your Alliance Chieftain before we take the beta servers down for a while, in preparation for the launch of Chapter One. Keep an eye on our social media channels, the newsletter, and our forums for more information on when Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter One arrives for all Elite Dangerous players.

On February 6, the beta servers will go down shortly to allow us to update to beta 3, which will be as close to the 3.0 release build as possible.

Last weekend of 3.0 beta – special treats

Because there’s only one weekend left on the test servers, we have made a few changes for the beta:
- Firstly we’ve made all Engineer recipes so they require only 1 unit of iron to complete.
- We’ve done the same to Technology Broker blueprints – they will require only 1 unit of iron to complete.
- We have given all Commanders who join the beta, 100 units of iron and 100 units of selenium in order to take advantage of the above, and get playing around with some of the Engineering changes and new Technology Broker modules.
- All ships, weapons and modules are now down to 10% of their normal price. Now’s the chance to play around with the ship of your dreams, even if you can’t afford it in the main Elite Dangerous experience!

We wanted to take a moment to thank every Commander who loaded up the beta during this testing period. The feedback you provided was absolutely invaluable in making Chapter One of Beyond the best Elite Dangerous experience possible.

Thanks Ed.

Just a question, did you mean for the Technology Broker blueprints to require only 1 unit of selenium instead of iron? (The latter will be required for Engineers).

I would have been a bit more relieved to see a reference to fixing the 4 USB controllers limit being fixed as was promised.

I welcome the unlocks mentioned in the OP and am grateful to Frontier's team for everything they've put into improving Engineers, particularly in Patch 2.

I'm very concerned though by the lack of any response to the serious grandfathering issues concerning incomparably powerful weapons with secondary effects, which cannot be obtained in Beta. This appears to entrench an unfortunate legacy for PvP, which is a shame bearing in mind how good the rest of it all is.

Concerning said massive legacy power disparity see my thread using the rail gun example here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/402587-Grandfathering-problems-The-Rail-Gun

And for wider issues concerning weaker new blueprints, such as armour blueprints, see Alexander the Grape's thread here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/401777-Old-Rolls-vs-New-Rolls-megathread

Admittedly huge progress has been made on the latter headline values [up]

Yet the impact of the secondary effect issues has yet even to be mentioned [down]

But there's still time. Here's hoping for an announcement for Beta 3...!

Last edited:
Hmm. Might be just me, but i think this is too fast. I mean yes, the last update in the beta was a vast improvement, but in my eyes there's still enough to do.
So i personally would've prefered to have a few more iterations.

Hmm. Might be just me, but i think this is too fast. I mean yes, the last update in the beta was a vast improvement, but in my eyes there's still enough to do.

Lets see what beta 3 changes are first.

FD, please tell us you are removing the per module engineering requirement, i.e. once you have Grade 5 unlocked it's unlocked for modules of the same type.

They may have seen all the feedback and the bugs, and determined it's enough. Now they have to work on fixing and balancing things knowing what people think/want :)

Also think it seems a bit fast. And i still dont like the fact we have to roll every single module to grade 5. Whats the point in us even having grade 5 access?

I enjoyed the Beta. In fact, I'm not even playing the main game any more (but plan on farming mats as soon as I have that 100 material limit per item). I think you're going the right way with engineering and I am looking forward to see what other improvements you have in store for us.

Also think it seems a bit fast. And i still dont like the fact we have to roll every single module to grade 5. Whats the point in us even having grade 5 access?

The point will be that you don't make as many rolls at the lower grades as you would if you weren't. That was adjusted in Beta 2.

Um… didn't you want to have at least one more release with stuff like fixed input handling? Maybe touching up on some remaining engineering stats? That kind of general thing?

I mean, I'm fine with panic patches on Thursday and Friday followed by the usual weekend downtime, but a bit more bouncing around the changes surely wouldn't hurt?

The point will be that you don't make as many rolls at the lower grades as you would if you weren't. That was adjusted in Beta 2.

I mean all in all i get that. But it doesnt make any sense whatsoever. If we have grade 5 access we should be able to roll any module to grade 5. Its not like every engineer is like wyrd on the beta. So not only do we have to get every engineer to grade 5 but we will not be able to roll our modules to grade 5 without starting at grade 1. Still doesnt make sense and seems like wasting a lot of time and mats

I wonder will material trading rates (especially side trading) be improved on live? We won't be able to tell with the 1 iron cost in b3.

Um… didn't you want to have at least one more release with stuff like fixed input handling? Maybe touching up on some remaining engineering stats? That kind of general thing?

I mean, I'm fine with panic patches on Thursday and Friday followed by the usual weekend downtime, but a bit more bouncing around the changes surely wouldn't hurt?

OP mentioned Beta 3 is on the 6th.

Top Bottom