Cheating Gangkers at Shinrata

None of this sounds like hacking to me. I’d have to see your pip management too, but this all sounds like you were just outmatched and made every gank escape mistake in the book and are misunderstanding a lot of things (i.e. Rolling while boosting in a straight line doesn’t change your trajectory and still just makes you fly straight, most weapons have their damage fall off at 3 km, most FDLs boost 545+, FSD reboot missile is a dumb fire missile effect, etc.)

He had same ship as mine, so I know it could not close a gap of 2.5 km without some extra special help.

Well, maybe his crusader was slightly lighter and had better boost speed
Maybe he was boosting more often than you did and was able to stay closer to max speed than you did.

With engineering and outfitting, same ship is not always same ship...

Edit: Or maybe his crusader was a chieftain? Who knows...

The boost speed isn't even the same in all the screenshots (464 in one, 470 in another). So I wouldn't assume what we're seeing is exactly what was in play during this encounter anyway.
I took the screen shots as soon as I docked. But one of the screen shots was when I swapped a 64t fuel tank out and put a 5D hull in its place.
The idea of the screen shots is not to provide a 100% accurate record, but to give an idea of what the build was like.

I have lightweight alloy because this was an experimental build to try PvE rail gun sniping practice; to push beyond my usual and comfort boundaries.

Well, maybe his crusader was slightly lighter and had better boost speed
Maybe he was boosting more often than you did and was able to stay closer to max speed than you did.

With engineering and outfitting, same ship is not always same ship...

Edit: Or maybe his crusader was a chieftain? Who knows...

Or they had FA-off, and thus speed decayed more slowly between boosts if OP kept FA-on. And maybe OP had wep focused PD instead of charge enhanced super conduits and thus can't boost as frequently (combined with pips mgmt. Who knows. (I agree on the chief notion for reasons I posted earlier).

It's been amply shown there are numerous non cheating possibilities, but also even the most skeptical of us acknowledged cheating can't be ruled out. So without video or other hard evidence, the best we can do is each form our own gut feeling on the matter. OP should report if they feel strongly about it. My gut says otherwise but I'm trying to just provide plausible explanations rooted in my knowledge of PvP game mechanics. I hope OP takes the suggestions in that spirit - these threads are always at risk of going downhill. I'd suggest OP also be open minded to the notion of their own human error (I make combat mistakes frequently despite ample PvP experience, and often I don't even realize them until I review my videos, which I take of every single CMDR encounter).

Last edited:
I took the screen shots as soon as I docked. But one of the screen shots was when I swapped a 64t fuel tank out and put a 5D hull in its place.
The idea of the screen shots is not to provide a 100% accurate record, but to give an idea of what the build was like.

I figured, and so it's clear I had no feeling whatsoever you were trying to mislead.

Instead, I was just pointing out well intended but inadvertent imprecision. Sometimes the devil is in the small details, something as minor as which utility slot one places a PDT (that's a generic example which doesn't apply here).

“Taking Hull Damage” happens as soon as any damage comes through to the hull.

The HRPs only add hit points and resistances. And weight. Which slows you down. And your opponent could have the Drag Drives experimental which you don’t mention having.

Modules likewise are targetable - you need to have MRPs to keep damage off them.

And there’s drag munitions which give a message and effect that is easy to mistake for thruster reboot.

Also as Feros points out - your memory of the encounter will be different from your video replay.
I look at mine and I’m embarrassed by lazy mistakes.

All of these above comments have their valid points. However, I was ganked a 3rd time tonight. This time I was prepared and recorded the event against a fed assault ship. The encounter seemed absolutely fine, no cheating at all and his shields were going down as I would expect, his shields recharged quickly as expected for a FAS and most importantly my shields and hulk behaved as I have seen many times with NPCs. We went to the death and I eventually killed him via ramming.
I can post video if anyone wants to see it. Not much point though.
My point is that the previous 2 encounters now seem even more fishy because of the unexpected way in which my defences were compromised.

All of these above comments have their valid points. However, I was ganked a 3rd time tonight. This time I was prepared and recorded the event against a fed assault ship. The encounter seemed absolutely fine, no cheating at all and his shields were going down as I would expect, his shields recharged quickly as expected for a FAS and most importantly my shields and hulk behaved as I have seen many times with NPCs. We went to the death and I eventually killed him via ramming.
I can post video if anyone wants to see it. Not much point though.
My point is that the previous 2 encounters now seem even more fishy because of the unexpected way in which my defences were compromised.

Actually forgot. There was also an encounter with a T10. That thing was fancy around my challenger like a FAS on steroids. When I fly a T10 is turns and pitched ssoooo slowly, so again there’s something wrong there too.

Busy day at Shinrata!

As others been said already, cheating cannot be entirely ruled out, but from your story i see only an encounter between pvp-ers and someone that does not do pvp.
If they were running focused plasma and long range rails, you can be picked up from 3km with plasmas and at 6km your power plant can be sniped out.
If they were using FA-off boosting and you did not, they'll be catching you and so on.

You'd be amazed about what good pilots can do to ones that are not at the same level and not running good builds.
For example a Viper killing a Corvette really fast or an eagle (could be an ieagle) making other corvette run away with no shields and some dents in its hull and so on.
Or even last days, a sidewinder taking one ring of shields from a corvette before being accused of cheating (no foul play was involved)

T-10 has the 3rd most forgiving eng pips coefficient in the game (after vulture and FdL IIRC) and can dish out plenty of murder. I'd stake my money on well built T-10 flown by a PvPer over a non PvP kit chally flown by a non PvPer every single time. Here's CMDR Threeofnine crushing an FdL from a T-10. The opponent wasn't a scrub or anything either, he yeets an SLF with his first rails shot.

I'm just a noob really but you are using "Light weight alloy" for your armor, to me that explains it all when it comes to losing your hull so quickly.
Any engineered weapon with bleed through on shields is going to eat you alive.

Top Bottom