Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

The Replicated Man

T
you really need me to comment on that given the recent revelation? as a PVPer I see the result of these tools all to often.
I seriously doubt 3of9 would resort to cheating. Especially after all the time and investment he has in game. Granted he was running an alt when he engaged you, but since he revealed it was him I think you might have jumped the gun on the accusations.

He has more than 2 accounts you know.

ryan_m

Banned
I seriously doubt 3of9 would resort to cheating. Especially after all the time and investment he has in game. Granted he was running an alt when he engaged you, but since he revealed it was him I think you might have jumped the gun on the accusations.

He has more than 2 accounts you know.
Remember that it wasn't "threeofnine", but an alt account of his. Harry did not know it was an alt. If you got engaged by 2-3 hackers a day while streaming and a random mostly harmless conda shows up and starts dunking, your spidey sense would tingle too.

The Replicated Man

T
Remember that it wasn't "threeofnine", but an alt account of his. Harry did not know it was an alt.
No I understand
Remember that it wasn't "threeofnine", but an alt account of his. Harry did not know it was an alt. If you got engaged by 2-3 hackers a day while streaming and a random mostly harmless conda shows up and starts dunking, your spidey sense would tingle too.
He get's engaged by 2-3 a day???? What?!

Thats crazy. I'd be interested in seeing some clips man.

I see plenty of stuff I think is suspicious fairly frequently (though I'd suspect the players of infamous and more actively reviled CMDRs see far more), I just try to give people the benefit of the doubt...unless it still looks suspicious on review and I see the same sort of thing from the same person more than once.

Not like there would be anything I could do about it in the heat of the moment anyway.

I thought No Fans and Comrade was hacking one time back when the heat meta was thing.

I dont know what was worse, me calling them hackers. Or Fdev implementing something like that in the first place. It blew my mind when I found it about it. Felt bad about that too. They're cool though.
This is one of the reasons why I always try to play the betas...so I know what sort of insanity is coming next.

Heat superiority was pretty amusing while it lasted though, not that I miss it.

Yes, please DO NOT use it for any reason. honestly not worth the risk..
You sound very confident here about actual bans have happened. If that's the case, from what sources do you know it? Or even better, do you have any evidence? I doubt you or anyone else has ever got a clear statement from FD about names of banned players. The only possible answer coming off the top of my head would be that you personally know the banned person(s).

The Replicated Man

T
I see plenty of stuff I think is suspicious fairly frequently (though I'd suspect the players of infamous and more actively reviled CMDRs see far more), I just try to give people the benefit of the doubt...unless it still looks suspicious on review and I see the same sort of thing from the same person more than once.

Not like there would be anything I could do about it in the heat of the moment anyway.

This is one of the reasons why I always try to play the betas...so I know what sort of insanity is coming next.

It was cancerous.

Thank Braben they patched it. Imagine if it was still a thing?!

The Replicated Man

T
You sound very confident here about actual bans have happened. If that's the case, from what sources do you know it? Or even better, do you have any evidence? I doubt you or anyone else has ever got a clear statement from FD about names of banned players. The only possible answer coming off the top of my head would be that you personally know the banned person(s).
Considering how cheap the accounts were going for a few months ago ($12-$18) It's only logical to assume that many bought an alt just to test what sort of shenanigans they could get away with without the risk of losing their main account.

It's really easy to create a free gmail account, buy a copy of ED, download it and login while you have a VPN going so no IP ban.

And that would be under the assumption that FDEV does indeed hand out IP bans and not just an account one.

No wonder, he's Elite's most hated villain/ganker, I can see people trying to get revenge on him using cheats.
Infamy or not, I still say keep it clean, on BOTH sides. I get his choice of CMDRs to attack is... questionable and emotive responses do come back. But it's a game, we can take steps to not be attacked, open season is not the best mode to be in around high traffic areas etc. Anti ganking is now almost as much of a pastime as ganking for CMDRs. Get a crew together, go looking and if you get killed smile, take a breath, learn then go back again, and again.

From what I've gathered, I think to spot and correctly classify these cheats you'll need at least to be actively flying in Open, have a lot of experience (to sift chaff from the wheat) and need to be really good in PvP. Someone sitting very close next to the dev team in permanent information exchange - which is close to illusionary.

And that would be under the assumption that FDEV does indeed hand out IP bans and not just an account one.
IP bans are nonsense as it would "ban" most players for 24 hours at best. You can realistically assume only a tiny minority of players are actually playing over a non-switched line. All the rest will get their IP changed every 24 hours. I wonder how some people are still unaware of this fact, as each time it's happening while playing is the moment where you're unavoidably get kicked out of the game and would need to restart your client.

Last edited:
Imagine if it was still a thing?!
This was after the second nerf:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tI5prDuvZw

Not surprised some people were confused about it.

From what I've gathered, I think to spot and correctly classify these cheats you'll need at least to be actively flying in Open, have a lot of experience (to sift chaff from the wheat) and need to be really good in PvP. Someone sitting very close next to the dev team in permanent information exchange - which is close to illusionary.
Would be nice if they had a dev or two where being experienced with the actual state of the Open game was part of the job description.

IP bans are nonsense as it would "ban" most players for 24 hours at best.
Changing my IP is as easy as going into my router and typing in a different MAC address for it to send to the modem, then rebooting the modem so it's assigned a fresh IP.

They don't need to IP ban, they just need to ban accounts, and on repeat abuse, any account paid for under the same name. Wouldn't keep everyone out of course, but would be more of a deterrent.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom