Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
In light of the recent Galnet story about a ship being stolen from a starport, I was thinking that this may be an opportunity for FD to implement an "I am not a Robot" check (as found on many websites) to try to limit some of the 'cheating'.
fe2protect.png

No one needs to be banned. Just put all the cheaters in the same instance forever.

So they can still cheat and influence the BGS?

Sorry, but permanent bans are the only appropriate action to take against people knowingly using hacks/cheats. There is no reason for Frontier to refuse to say that's what action they plan on taking, unless that isn't what they're going to do.

I suspect that they don't have the fortitude to actually ban those who use these cheats, which is why they won't comment.

It already exists. You are stuck in solo and loose access to the BGS aka "shadow ban". For me I gladly sign up for this if I had access to cheats and I'm not alone.
and how are you gonna keep innocent people from being shadowbanned? a person needs to know that a ban is on them so that they can fight it if they are innocent. nothing will kill this game faster than to start banning innocent players.

So let me get this right: If I am in solo
1. I can not affect the BGS
2. So if 1 is valid why can't I use cheats? It is essentially single player mode.

Gime the cheats noowwwwww

giphy.gif

I have stopped playing Elite till Frontier do something about this and tell us the numbers and whats been done.

Im too old and have been through this too many times to be bothered to play a game that seems to be doing nothing about cheats and exploiters.

I have stopped playing Elite till Frontier do something about this and tell us the numbers and whats been done.

Im too old and have been through this too many times to be bothered to play a game that seems to be doing nothing about cheats and exploiters.

Then be prepared to never play again.

There will always be cheats. FD will stop this one from working, and the hackers will make a new one. Those who get bans, will just wait for the next sale and pick up a new copy for 5 dollars or whatever it is.

I've told the story a few times now, but it helps understand the mentality of some cheaters. One guy lost 10 accounts from ED and his response was something like "I should probably tone down on the cheating a bit, its getting a bit expensive". Not stop cheating, just slow down so he doesn't hit FD's radar as often and doesn't lose accounts as often.

As long as there are people working on making the cheats, there will always be those willing to use them, regardless of consequences. FD could do IP based bans, but then run the risk of blocking innocent players as well. People can use VPNs, Tor, or proxies to bypass IP bans.

There is no way to stop them in the short or long term, and as long as FD keep putting ED on sale, new accounts are easy and cheap to make.

I couldn't agree more Ryan. However I think that FDev could introduce another punishment.
  • First offense: 3-day ban to OPEN. All ships' paintwork defaulted to iridescent pink, all modules locked at E rating and all engineering affects removed.
  • Second offense: 1-month ban to OPEN. All ships' paintwork defaulted to iridescent pink, all modules locked at E rating and all engineering affects removed. Permanent 'decal of shame' on front of ship.
  • Third offense: Permaban. Go and play another game; 3 strikes and you're out.
I really love this suggestion, also could we have the iridescent paint job blink?

So let me get this right: If I am in solo
1. I can not affect the BGS
2. So if 1 is valid why can't I use cheats? It is essentially single player mode.

Gime the cheats noowwwwww

giphy.gif

No, Shadow Ban is a special version of Solo you cant access on your own. In 'normal Solo' you do influence the BGS.

Last edited:
Still can't quite get over the absurdity of it all. Last time FD announced they had detected cheating and mass-punished people the entirety of SDC was involved. And they were super outraged their cheated advantages were taken away from them, loudly protesting how unfair it was they were punished for their cheating. And now they are upset others aren't punished enough? Don't get me wrong, I am all for punishing cheaters, but this never-ending hypocrisy is tiresome. :p

Still can't quite get over the absurdity of it all. Last time FD announced they had detected cheating and mass-punished people the entirety of SDC was involved. And they were super outraged their cheated advantages were taken away from them, loudly protesting how unfair it was they were punished for their cheating. And now they are upset others aren't punished enough? Don't get me wrong, I am all for punishing cheaters, but this never-ending hypocrisy is tiresome. :p

There is a bit of a difference in scope of the cheat, but yes, there is some irony there.

Of course, this is where someone comes in and says "but but but combat loggers", as though two wrongs make a right.

I think FDev should find every single cheater, gather them in a large square, boil them in lava and execute their families with dragon fire while reciting Kant's Imperative, before shooting their remains into space using a large cannon. That'll teach them!

(It's a game, for crying out loud).

Just ran in too two of them in EXIOCE, flying Cobra Mk III's with shields that did not even take a dent.....
An the took my shields out in one hit and the hull down to 34% in two hits.

sollisb

Banned
You mean like this?

That's an interesting read. But here's a thing.. I bought a licence to use a game developed by Frontier Developments. If they at some point in time, refuse to allow me to play, aka ban me, then I am fully within my rights to seek a formal reason as to why they have breached the contract.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom