Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I wonder if FDev is going to over reach if/when they try to fix these issues. I mean, a good portion of us all change the HUD colors and in doing so have fundamentally made a change to the game. Maybe not the degree that Infinity Shields does, but it's still a "hack". I don't particularly care for modders and hacks, but I do change my HUD colors.
Well, the difference in changing your HUD colors is a simple text edit with tools built in and available on the system or OS via a Frontier exposed and open xml file, which gives you no game advantage, other than maybe your eyesight.

Someone injecting code with hackers tools not available on the system or OS directly into memory addresses giving themselves a game advantage you don't get or have is more than just degrees, its a game changer and miles apart.

o7...

Last edited:
Sorry, you´re wrong. Besides not having System Authority they also open black markets and Interstellar Factors. Several of them produce rare goods. At least one, The Nameless, provide Federal and Alliance ships for Colonia. In the past they have provided Imperial armors from the outposts in Carcosa.

Never mind the role playing implications on the game world.

Bit more than zero, yes?
Nothing really worth writing home about.
It would make a difference if this would be the place to buy hot modules or weapons, or even stuff that has been modified beyond good and evil, so something with severe drawbacks for example. Example: Standard Rail does 50 damage per shot, you engineer it to G5 to do more. Now here you might be able to find something that would be the equivalent of a G6 or G7 - limited stock of course. Or fly a rare mission for the pirates, making you wanted/notorious and get one as a reward. Rolls could be off the chart, G6 or G7, hot item, they need to ditch. But that rail might have a flaw that it might blow up and needs fixing.
So really, a proper pirate base would have much more significance than "just another anarchy system/station".

It would make a difference if this would be the place to buy hot modules or weapons, or even stuff that has been modified beyond good and evil, so something with severe drawbacks for example. Example: Standard Rail does 50 damage per shot, you engineer it to G5 to do more. Now here you might be able to find something that would be the equivalent of a G6 or G7 - limited stock of course. Or fly a rare mission for the pirates, making you wanted/notorious and get one as a reward. Rolls could be off the chart, G6 or G7, hot item, they need to ditch. But that rail might have a flaw that it might blow up and needs fixing.
So really, a proper pirate base would have much more significance than "just another anarchy system/station".
Pffff. You haven't seen how splendid Robardin is ;)

While I agree that anarchy needs to stand out more, your proposals are even more lame than anything Frontier could come up with. :)

I watched part of a yootoob yesterday where some bod was showing just what one of these tools could do and it made me decide never to load in open play ever again. I mean, taking the chance of being torn a new one by someone who has a super PvP build is one thing but being wiped by some LULZ-seeker with infinite SCB, etc etc is just not on.

While I agree that anarchy needs to stand out more, your proposals are even more lame than anything Frontier could come up with. :)
Personally, on the Anarchy System front, I think Anarchy systems should be the PvP zones with Secure Systems being locked to PvE only. That way the entire game can go Open but if you want to avoid PvP you simply don’t fly to Anarchy systems.

PvP CGs or PP events can then simply be set-up to happen on Anarchy systems or PvE events in non-Anarchy systems.

Missions to take goods or eliminate pirates in Anarchy systems should then pay more - for obvious risk/reward reasons.

But I don’t think that was the original question ... :)

I don't see any reason to name people. Banning or however the punishment goes should be good enough. I think some people who want to see names just want to know if the person that beat them was cheating or perhaps how many names show up on the list were respected people of the elite community because it provides gossip fodder. That's not the onus of the developer.

At the same time however I understand that people who have lost faith in the Integrity of the game need to know what has been trimmed away to know that anything has. Otherwise it's status quo and they probably have no faith that anything has changed.

Personally, on the Anarchy System front, I think Anarchy systems should be the PvP zones with Secure Systems being locked to PvE only. That way the entire game can go Open but if you want to avoid PvP you simply don’t fly to Anarchy systems.

PvP CGs or PP events can then simply be set-up to happen on Anarchy systems or PvE events in non-Anarchy systems.

Missions to take goods or eliminate pirates in Anarchy systems should then pay more - for obvious risk/reward reasons.

No.

1000 times no.

No. Open is OK as is. I've been interdicted once in the last [insert number] months and that was by a friendly roleplayer who let me go anyway. Granted, I'm not a mostly harmless flying a cutter or anything like that. Not that Dangerous means anything anyway. But at least, I'm not getting attacked here and there, as a lot of people seem to think.

Ok what does any of that change except text or numbers on the screen? How does it change the galaxy? It's like a pinball machine, you can roll the score higher and flip the levers but when you leave it will be just like it was when you started, unless the designers change it.
Anarchy is just a label. You can have insurance and spend credit from the universal bank just as in any other system. It's kind of Las Vegas but in the future.

Anarchy is just a label. You can have insurance and spend credit from the universal bank just as in any other system. It's kind of Las Vegas but in the future.
Honestly I dislike the "Anarchy" label, especially since it applies to areas of unoccupied space, which makes no logical sense to me. It should be "Unenforced" and Anarchy should be an entirely different (and much more chaotic) state applying to occupied systems only.

Honestly I dislike the "Anarchy" label, especially since it applies to areas of unoccupied space, which makes no logical sense to me. It should be "Unenforced" and Anarchy should be an entirely different (and much more chaotic) state applying to occupied systems only.
I do agree the game should differentiate between a populated anarchy and an unpopulated 'none' or 'N/A' system.

Didn't this used to be the case? I seem to remember we had anarchy and lawless but I might be having an acid flashback... ;)

I've given a great deal of thought to cheating with bots, scripts and trainers.

It all boils down to Frontier securing the "ship". What I mean by this is that you can upgrade and engineer, but once your done, your ship becomes "locked" to that setting.

With all ships "set and locked", for the sake of this example, a "CRC or ACL" key lock is generated for each ship after upgrade or engineering. If you change the game code in any way outside of this which does not match the ship's "set lock" you would be considered cheating, and the ban hammer would hit you.

So, Frontier, since this is a suggestion for which "cheaters" cannot duplicate or change by any means, I now offer this on an open forum for you and all players to consider as a preventative measure which could be implemented and included as an upgrade.

This forum now has many threads with concerns over cheating in this game. I offer a solution which can be advertised to both legitimate players and potential cheaters.

Change the ship's "set lock" or if your ship does not match the "set lock", your out of the game.

EDIT: When you upgrade, engineer, trade, collect, explore, or do combat, your credits, rank and/or materials change. These values become part of your "set lock" value for your ship.

This type of set lock could also be applied to the game's account as an "account set lock" value.

o7.....

Last edited:
So, forget about this. No dedicated servers -> no consistent multiplayer. Just deal with the fact that really ED is a singleplayer game, with some coop capabilities.
Thread really was over with this post.

It's a fundamental concept in computer science. You simply cannot trust data from a client no matter what clever anti-cheat hijinks you put in your code. If it's not authenticated, controlled and validated centrally, it's a lost cause.

If you just play just for lulz and not really caring if you die, then it's not such a big deal though. Seems to me to be the best way to deal with it.

(Yes I am oversimplifying slightly regarding client server but let's not get into that theoretical debate, in practice in gaming, for all intents and purposes p2p = cheat-for-all for anyone willing to put in the work)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom