Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I wonder if we're going to see a "Dish decoder" escalation here. If someone remembers how the illegal decoders constantly had to update to catch up with Dish TVs updated code sets. Frontier could come out with a patch once a week where the particular parts of the executable that Cheat Engine is targeting are moved. Just move them back and forth, here and there, and trainer then needs to be updated just as much. Maybe the hackers will wear out eventually.

I suspect it's about when a situation gets to a certain point whipping up an angry mob can be very effective. Sure, it can get real messy, but desperate times mean desperate measures.

What could go wrong with that plan huh... Not offering any solution, deluded to think they could code the game better than the devs. It's just the monthly drama induced by cheerleaders in a beauty contest.

I hope we still get some answer from FDev after the crying, tho.

I suspect it's about when a situation gets to a certain point whipping up an angry mob can be very effective. Sure, it can get real messy, but desperate times mean desperate measures.
I know what you are saying :) But there have been occasions where the angry mob ends up lynching the wrong person...
As a MMO ED is hardly there, much needs working on - I think we all know that. If angry mobs are going to be riled up each time someone doesn't like something, sooner or later will come the cry "Nay, enough"
It would bother me little if the game lost multiplayer (well, as long as it is after I've had a chance to meet the Colonia Mafia!) but I am in a minority, and in that respect my opinion truly doesn't bear any weight.

What could go wrong with that plan huh... Not offering any solution, deluded to think they could code the game better than the devs. It's just the monthly drama induced by cheerleaders in a beauty contest.

I hope we still get some answer from FDev after the crying, tho.

Proof positive right here that success breeds jealousy.

(well, as long as it is after I've had a chance to meet the Colonia Mafia! Colonia Chamber of Commerce!)

Accepted your FR, by the way! Sorry for the delay. Was out of the game for a few days.

I know what you are saying :) But there have been occasions where the angry mob ends up lynching the wrong person...
As a MMO ED is hardly there, much needs working on - I think we all know that. If angry mobs are going to be riled up each time someone doesn't like something, sooner or later will come the cry "Nay, enough"
It would bother me little if the game lost multiplayer (well, as long as it is after I've had a chance to meet the Colonia Mafia!) but I am in a minority, and in that respect my opinion truly doesn't bear any weight.
That's why you don't do it often, but only in extraordinary circumstances. :) That gave me an idea BTW, let's give them a few more days to respond. ;)

Problem the cheat programs is that it's always a war of attrition. Devs probably have a team working on it constantly to stop the hacks but the hackers are working on getting around the fixes at the same pace

Proof positive right here that success breeds jealousy.

Dont think they'll be able to pay the rent with twitch revenue only tho, once everyone leave.

But that's a change from the usual forum post of a guy seeing another hack and others telling him to git gud.

Anyway, I thought I was cynical, but having people here openly admiting manipulating people's opinion for stuff in a videogame is fine... Damn. It is actually becoming EVE online.

R6 Siege had a big hacking problem in PvE before dedicated servers were added. All a hacker needed to do was be connection host. That enables them to modify everyone's values. Dedicated servers killed off most hackers that way. Client side hacks still exist, but nowhere near the power that they used to have.

I have no idea how FD can afford to implement dedicated servers. I don't see it happening. P2P needs to go away for the next Elite though.

2FA was also enabled in R6S. If you want to play competitive, you must verify your account with a phone number and email. This cut back on the ability for cheaters to buy 50 copies on G2A.

R6 Siege had a big hacking problem in PvE before dedicated servers were added. All a hacker needed to do was be connection host. That enables them to modify everyone's values. Dedicated servers killed off most hackers that way. Client side hacks still exist, but nowhere near the power that they used to have.

I have no idea how FD can afford to implement dedicated servers. I don't see it happening. P2P needs to go away for the next Elite though.

2FA was also enabled in R6S. If you want to play competitive, you must verify your account with a phone number and email. This cut back on the ability for cheaters to buy 50 copies on G2A.
How can they afford? By investing some of the earned money. According to their CFO their break-even point is around 100,000 copies, and they sold much, much more than that.

First of all thanks a lot @ryan_m, @Exigeous and all other players involved for reporting this, really appreciated. It also explains some weird stuff recently observed (CQC players with unlimited shields, etc...)

Just want to say about the planned sanctions against the cheaters (1st time: 3 days ban to solo, etc...) this sound like a bad joke to me, especially since the consequences of the cheat will definitely spread from solo to open (bgs as already highlighted in multiple posts).

From my point of view, the one and only rule to apply in such situation is simple: you cheat, you're out - period. No 1st warning, no 3-days ban so that you can know you've been caught and try to do things in a more discrete manner next time. Permaban from the start is the only way to go. No second chance, no keeping your account, just goodbye.

I really enjoy the game, I mostly play in Open and I get killed more than often since I'm a poor pvp fighter, but I still love the thrill and the fact that if the other pilot gets me he's just a better pilot. BUT, if it turns out that some are using hacks or cheats and this would be the reason for me to get killed with no possibility for a fair fight, my decision is already made and I'll be looking for another game to play - no doubt.

Haters will hate, cheaters will cheat, just need to get rid of them once and forever.
DG

From my point of view, the one and only rule to apply in such situation is simple: you cheat, you're out - period. No 1st warning, no 3-days ban so that you can know you've been caught and try to do things in a more discrete manner next time. Permaban from the start is the only way to go. No second chance, no keeping your account, just goodbye.

My issue with this is not with adults who knowingly cheat, but kids. Yes, cheating is wrong for everyone. But I think it would be kinda rough if someone from the community would come home and find his entire account wiped and blocked just because Billy the 8 year old wanted to get infinite shields so he could pancake a ship into a planet over and over for a few minutes. Sure, 'parents should be aware of what their kids do', and 'password-protect your apps' and all that, but I dont really have a problem with giving a warning once.

I mean, in the end it is just a game.

Neither cheaters. I haven't seen a single report from FD for someone banned for cheating. No single one. They simply don’t want to ban. We will investigate is all we have gotten all these years. Why they should ban someone, who potentially could buy a paintjob from frontier store? Squeezing out every single penny from ED with minimal effort is the motto written with capital letters in the lobby of FD building

Cheaters are beeing warned and banned. Took me 10 secs to find a forum with one specific trainer available for download.
People are being banned for 72 hours to Solo (or shadow, dunno eggsactly) for the first offence. Also, most of the people using these hacks are noobs who dont fly in Open or even PG.and just want to farm their stuff w/o effort. People are being warned to not fight Cmdrs with modified ship values. They know they´re being identified, tubed, reported and ban-hammered. Also, the trainer/hack is being rendered useless with each patch and they need a week or two to update the hack. Suggestion for FDev: Deploy a patch w/ one bugfix per week (there should be plenty bugs available so this will take a while) and at least one trainer is rendered inoperable :)

Yesterday, I went out to learn more about an "exploit" I had heard. Without spoiling too much we could call it "Between Two...". I learned quite a lot about the game mechanics, and received my deserved punishment in the form of several horrifying deaths. One included my Conda literally screaming. The morale of the story was something like constantly check your six while mining.

Before I went, I read the rules, and I admit this was in a grey area, but not really cheating with all the "create your own adventure and in an unknown galaxy". There was no gain, apart from looking deep into the edge of reality of the game. Sort of like this:

The_Thirteenth_Floor_poster.jpg

I can strongly advice not to go there. It's proper scary, and you won't find anything that will compensate the horror ;)

How many have actually read the rules? I was surprised about some of them, and honestly I couldn't recognize some of them from what I've seen.

https://www.frontierstore.net/code-of-conduct

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom