Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
All the "you cheat too" accusations flying around are pointless. Some of the people here being accused of this or that are some of the best content providers, and they often live stream their game so if they do something that's questionable then everyone questions it. They might accuse someone of cheating, as an outburst perhaps in a stream but many here, like myself, only play in Solo or private groups, so no one can see our questionable acts.

There's no reason for people to attack each other here. I doubt the cheaters are posting here. Attacking each other means basically the terrorists have already won.

Don't need to post names or even numbers.

When the right amount of people are being actually banned, their cries of outrage will be heard far and wide.

Don't need to post names or even numbers.

When the right amount of people are being actually banned, their cries of outrage will be heard far and wide.

It is in FDev's interests to be seen to provide a good quality service. Word of mouth is a good source of trust that action is taken but not a reliable one. Similarly FDev simply stating they take cheating seriously without that word of mouth verification is toothless.

Both would be reliable.

It would be interesting to elaborate the WHY[ people cheat?
In combat, infinite shields - People hate losing. I get that.
Instant drop to station - people hate the wait - I get that, I hate it too.
Infinite jump range - people hate the grind - Elite is full of that repetitive gameplay
Full of engineering mats - people hate the grind - we've had that, but again.

I understand people wanting to skip the grind that is not really engaging gameplay, and watch loading screens for hours isn't everyone's cup of tea just to get to Colonia or back as an example. What these people are doing is implementing Fast Travel. Something that is prevalent in other games by default and isn't considered cheating - because the Devs know, forcing players to do something their way can end up losing a large chunk of players.

A friend of mine ditched Elite because it's just too grindy. He loves the graphics and flight model, but hates the grind. So Bessy went the Uninstall path.

Infinite jump range - people hate the grind - Elite is full of that repetitive gameplay

I understand people wanting to skip the grind that is not really engaging gameplay, and watch loading screens for hours isn't everyone's cup of tea just to get to Colonia or back as an example. What these people are doing is implementing Fast Travel. Something that is prevalent in other games by default and isn't considered cheating - because the Devs know, forcing players to do something their way can end up losing a large chunk of players.

A friend of mine ditched Elite because it's just too grindy. He loves the graphics and flight model, but hates the grind. So Bessy went the Uninstall path.
There is no grind in Elite. People want things faster than intended, that's what creates what you call grinding.
I don't really understand why people who can't stand the stretches in the game play at all... The supercruising, the jumping, the incredibly big game world and the slow progression are all part of it. The non-modern idea of games not rewarding you with stupid achievements or giving you shortcuts, fast travel, easy-use button prompts and hand holding tutorials are also parts of the game. I love it for exactly that, and the science. I am not sure what keeps people playing who make it such a chore for themselves. The next upgrade? The next engineering grade? Becoming triple Elite? More and more and more credits? Military ranks to get all the rank-locked ships to do what exactly? Collect all the things in the game? Visit all the places? Discover ALL the stars in the Galaxy?!? Just play and have fun. I am doing that for over 3 years now, so don't tell me it's not possible with how the game is made.

I am under the impression cheats are for people who think every game is for winning. Doesn't really make sense for me.

FDev, if you're reading this, there are two actions you need to take here:

1. Permaban cheaters using hack tools. No warnings, no second chances, no appeals. Once a hacker is verified, scorch earth their account.

2. Find the hacker(s) who put together this hacktool and BUY THEIR WORK. Give them a bounty for finding a loophole, in exchange for their help plugging that loophole. Many software companies offer bounties to coders who can find security issues with their software.

There is no grind in Elite. People want things faster than intended, that's what creates what you call grinding.
Engineering mats: grind! (somewhat better with the new system, the old one was just worse)
Travel to Colonia - jump, honk, scoop, repeat - grind!
Unlocking the guardian modules: Scan the obelisks, log off, login, repeat - grind
or even worse: the blueprints before the nerf: Kills sentinels, shoot pylons, scan ball, log off, log in - Repeat! Do that 24 times for 3 modules. Grind!

Grind is anything that is just mind numbing and repetitive. And Elite has plenty of these gameplay loops.
Yes, other games are grindy too, but they make it more appealing. I love playing Diablo 3 for example. Sure, get to level 70 then run rifts until end of season. But every rift is different, monsters have different abilities, and it's not the same loot every time. Also you do get to progress, better gear allows you to run harder modes, for more challenge. That's called EndGame. Elite lacks that part big time.

No, absolutely not.

Nothing you posted there comes close to excusing cheating.

If somebody chooses to buy a game without being properly aware of what that game involves then the proper course of action is to stop playing the game and, possibly, to request a refund.

Not enjoying a game as it stands - an online multiplayer game in particular - is absolutely NO excuse to use cheats to turn it into something you do enjoy.

2. Find the hacker(s) who put together this hacktool and BUY THEIR WORK. Give them a bounty for finding a loophole, in exchange for their help plugging that loophole. Many software companies offer bounties to coders who can find security issues with their software.
Give them a Lifetime Expansion Pass!
Or 2 bobble heads and the Chieftain paint job from last week.

Simpel Question to the laughing stream-ganker: did you actually buy the cheattool and hand it over to FD six months ago or is it the typical „there is a problem - fix it“ thing?

If it was the second approach, did you think seriously, that FD could react the way you seem to expect. If you want fast fixing, invest. Not only talk and bash.

Engineering mats: grind! (somewhat better with the new system, the old one was just worse)
Engineering is optional, you want better than intended (see Valorin's quote above)
Travel to Colonia - jump, honk, scoop, repeat - grind!

Travel is a crucial and fundamental element in this game, and going all the way to Colonia is a choice.

Unlocking the guardian modules: Scan the obelisks, log off, login, repeat - grind
or even worse: the blueprints before the nerf: Kills sentinels, shoot pylons, scan ball, log off, log in - Repeat! Do that 24 times for 3 modules. Grind!

Guardian stuff is totally optional, you want better than intended (see Valorin's quote above)

Grind is anything that is just mind numbing and repetitive. And Elite has plenty of these gameplay loops.
Yes, other games are grindy too, but they make it more appealing. I love playing Diablo 3 for example. Sure, get to level 70 then run rifts until end of season. But every rift is different, monsters have different abilities, and it's not the same loot every time. Also you do get to progress, better gear allows you to run harder modes, for more challenge. That's called EndGame. Elite lacks that part big time.

I agree with you on ED being repetitive at times, but what makes you feel numb is your own choices in game.
ED does not have an end game mechanism because it does not end! The galaxy in ED is a living thing, your actions affect the way it lives.

The game does not target a constantly challenging storymode or anything.

What I don't get is how something like this could have FDev stymied for 6 months.

Do they not have standard variable checks in their code? Simply run an occasional analysis of whether actual values (max shield strength for instance) are possible given a ship's frame and load out. If not, then there's either been a coding error elsewhere on FDevs part, or a hacktool is being used.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom