Ship Builds & Load Outs Ships Chieftain Build Feedback / Advice

Hello everybody,

I'm very inexperienced when it comes to combat and building combat ships. I'm just starting to play the combat part of the game, trying (hard) to "git gud" and so on.

I bought a Chieftain, and I'm enjoying it very much. But since I've more or less build it on the fly, with not much planning involved and I've never build a pure combat vessel before, I figured I could use some Feedback.

The Build so far (outdated)

Current go to build

Note that the idea is to swap the scoop and fsd-booster when a destination is reached, depending on the job. (outdated)

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Best
Soloe

Last edited:
On hull and HRP go for Heavy duty with Deep plating. Other experimentals are not really worth it
Also on shields go for Hi Cap or Fast Charge as experimentals, Thermal is not that good

Edit: you could aim for this build
You should be able to find MRP at your destination station and then you can transfer the engineered hrp and fight without it until it comes.
I didn't touched the weapons, but keep in mind that large MC have a lot of spin-off delay.

Last edited:
https://s.orbis.zone/3v0v < Put whatever weapons you want on here. But this is in the ball park of what you wanna be aiming for.

Reactive HD yeilds better base resistances to build on over mil grade com' and the powerplant should be armoured as it is a hybrid vessel.

I did away with the PDT because they are all but useless and at least in PvE whatever you're shooting at should be very dead long before your shields drop if you're half cop with your pip management.

GLHF o7

Armoured on the power plant for more power, better efficiency and more hit points for a modest increase in mass, add thermal spread for added efficiency.

If you're good with fixed weapons fixed MC's will add around 15% more DPS and immunity to chaff, I'd recommend trying to unlock the Guardian shield enhancement package as 345 MJ is low for a medium ship.

Here's a lightweight PVE build I've been playing around with, BTW the Cytoscramblers might look good on paper but the jitter (aim off) and short range + falloff limt their effectiveness.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/all...A2EDMoCmBDA5gG2SGF8hRFA&bn=Chieftain Beam+ CS

If you're good with fixed weapons fixed MC's will add around 15% more DPS and immunity to chaff, I'd recommend trying to unlock the Guardian shield enhancement package as 345 MJ is low for a medium ship.

I would advise against GSRP's as the Chieftans main strength is its hull, go too high on the shields and you'll risk running on an empty systems cap' and then all that extra shield becomes useless as the ToT the enemy ship will have on naked hull will be considerably higher and with them installed you have less hull to back up the duration of shields beig down.

Thank's very much for the Feedback so far. Usefull info!

I allready thougt about getting rid of the point defence but thought it could be usefull when interdicted by an commander (I play open). I do not participate in PVP (yet?), but the build should be able to survive and high-wake. Or do You think the extra chaff will do that job better anyway?

On Fixed weapons: I am trying to get better with them. I use a Cobra for fixed training regulary. I think I will stay with gimbaled weapons here for a little while tho.

Best
Soloe

The chieftain has become my favorite ship definitely.

Youre a bit further along in engineering yours, but i thought id share my build anyway. I consider it a combat/mission running build. I know people dont think of the cheiftain as a multipurpose ship, but for my needs its the best in the game. I use Large MCs, a med. Beam Laser, and small railguns. I like that i can beat large ships and small ships alike in it, the agility and speed is just great. Its similar to yours except that i wanted the cargo space so i have a smaller fuel scoop and a size 5 cargo rack, and my weapons are obviously different

Im a little stumped on how to engineer the Shields. You went for reinforced, but i wonder if losing recharge time is worth it for a hull tank like this

On Fixed weapons: I am trying to get better with them. I use a Cobra for fixed training regulary. I think I will stay with gimbaled weapons here for a little while tho.

Then you should get enforcer cannons from Pranav. These small big guns are really good choice for CHieftain' S-sized hardpoints.

Here's a totally different approach: all cannons (short range) and a single feedback cascade railgun to counter shield cells. The distributor draw of the cannons is so low you can fight with just 1/2 pip in WEP and 3 1/2 pips in ENG for max speed and max agility. It can destroy an Elite Pirate Lord in his Corvette in 1 minute without taking any shield damage. If the pirate has gimballed lasers it loses one shield ring at most. Great fun to fly.

Last edited:
Thanks @Phisto Sobanii, It was great fun to get send to the rebuy by you! :cool:

I've updated the op with the build as it is right now - not much has changed yet. Had not much time and used that little i had to have fun flying.

I think i will aim for the build @Voracity_T posted and Phisto added the mc's to. No lasers is unknown territory for me - time to leave the comfort-zone I guess.

I've had very good effect on a number of different hulls using one fixed gun with a collection of gimbals and/or turrets otherwise. The Chieftain is no different. I ran it with efficient beam turrets on top and a PAC under the nose for HazRES. It did well enough, but if I built one out today I would probably use laser turrets on the small hardpoints, gimbaled multicannons on the two large ones, and of course some sort of fixed gun under the nose. I've wanted to try dumbfire missiles.

Hi everybody, thanks again for your input.

After some engineering done (yeah I'm slow - I somewhat refuse the grind ;) ) and giving the ship some more thought, I came to the conclusion, that i need to gid gudder with fixed anyway and when facing a chaff user I will have a problem, since an MC is no hitscan weapon. Also stripping shields could be somewhat difficult.

I came up with this loadout and I am curious what you think about it: Meta Joke

Best
Soloe

Only one thing: Large MC have a terrible spin-up lag. Almost as long as the reload time.
Also since your shields will drop way faster than they regen, i'll advise for at least a PDT. Your drives will have a better chance to survive.
And you could also fit a 2B afmu and repair that large MRP as often as you can , eventually go for a 3 mrp setup if you lose your drives/modules too easy.

and of course some sort of fixed gun under the nose. I've wanted to try dumbfire missiles.

I did this this morning.

2 large overcharged MC on gimbals
3 small focused pulse turrets
1 class 2 railgun

It wrecks face and I haven't even engineered the railgun yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom