Choosing a minor faction.

More like a head start on the focus.

Empire folk tended to be more into RP early on, and most early Feds either did their own thing or focused on Powerplay - and the mechanics never meant it was worth fussing over BGS back then.

Alliance guys always seemed to have a knack for spreadsheets and focused early on how the BGS interacted with things which meshed together well in the long haul.

Not that it matters, but Is that not just a good definition of what "having their sh*t together" means?
And being "focused on Powerplay", you know the Alliance did rather well at that too, right? ;)

You can say that again. The Alliance controlled 1.17% of populated systems on 1/1/3301. Today, according to eddb.io it stands at 4.03%. That doesn't happen by itself. That's Alliance pilots, as you say, having their sh*t together.

It always puts a smile on my face when I remember those early forum threads that people started, along the lines of: "Hey, I bet we can completely wipe out the Alliance before long!" or "Let's remove the Alliance from the Old Worlds!" It was never possible of course, you can't remove factions from the game, but they could have captured Alliance systems and essentially removed its visibility from the Gal Map. Even back then we had a chuckle reading those posts; we were watching the influence of a good 1000+ Alliance systems at the time (yep, without the automated stuff) and none of them appeared under any organised threat.

It's been a fun few years in Alliance land :)

Not that it matters, but Is that not just a good definition of what "having their sh*t together" means?
And being "focused on Powerplay", you know the Alliance did rather well at that too, right? ;)
Yes and No.

Alliance did well, and indeed did have their stuff together, but IIRC they did well largely because nobody bothered them directly until way too late.

Feds and Imps too damn busy fighting over each other to ever do anything productive in the long run.

Last edited:

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
I would recommend avoiding very low pop systems, on account of the swings achievable in them. Early on its great to be able to move >20pts a day, but later it can be a bit of a liability if you attract the attention of someone who wants to mess with you. E.g. if you are trying to avoid an expansion from the system (so staying well under 75%) it can be just one tick of major effort for one of the factions below you to trigger a war. You want one that is responsive to change, but gives you a couple of days at least to deal with an attack - so a 5-7million pop type

I unluckily found myself strolling in the backyard of 'Dukes of Mikunn'. I nonchalantly tip toe'd my way back out.

After a day of searching google, inara, frontier forums, eddb.io, in conjunction with actual in game scouting, I think I found a suitable home.

best case scenario, I am competing with a Ronin Cobra III. Which is the only recorded traffic within the last 24 hrs.

How would I know I have reached my daily influence limit, besides via noticing that the percentage is no longer rising?
And after I have reached the limit, when can I begin again?
I've read through the sources provided by Jane but the answer escapes me.

Last edited:

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
There is no visual evidence. The influence only updates about every 24hrs. If you have no opposition you will hit your limit at about 10 simple delivery missions or 5 retrieve missions.

We didnt choose, we applied for our own faction. ;)

We had some requirements, naturally.

- system cant be under PP influence
- system must be under independent control (e.g no, Fed, Imp or Alliance controlling the system)
- system must be from the edge of the bubble

We thought that we had a great location, until couple of months later we noticed that Antal and Utopian territory is just right next to us and at the other side we have Delane with his Kumo Crew... :D
So far we have learned to coexist in peace, although neither of those powers digs democracy.. :)

I gave Power Play a try and after a month of witnessing the vast majority of participants merits being delivered to a pointless few controlled systems, leading to the likes of 1000% fortification. It's an understatement to say it was disheartening.

So now I am in search of a new home and a minor faction to dedicate myself to. Possibly on the edge on the bubble.

For those who are experienced in BGS, I would like to know what factors did you consider when choosing a system and faction to align yourselves with.

First of all, systems which have negative CC thereby reducing the likelihood of Powerplayers ruining the BGS. Second when we started Horizons was just coming out so we chose a system on the edge of inhabited space where we only had a planet base and no orbiting bases. Third, we chose a low traffic area with easy to manage populations. Now we control 18 systems and are present in more.

I've won the War against a foreign faction but instead of a the opposing faction receiving a pending state of Retreat, it's Famine. It's influence was knocked down to 1% since day two of the war. The war lasted four days. I expected them to be kicked out of the system after their defeat. Does the victorious faction have to be the Controlling faction to kick a faction out?

I've won the War against a foreign faction but instead of a the opposing faction receiving a pending state of Retreat, it's Famine. It's influence was knocked down to 1% since day two of the war. The war lasted four days. I expected them to be kicked out of the system after their defeat. Does the victorious faction have to be the Controlling faction to kick a faction out?
Pending states are funny.

Some like Famine, Boom and so on can start pending while a conflict is active or recovery.

Others like Expansion and Retreat can't go pending even if the conflict is recovering.

Once the recovery clears, and they are at 1% with no other conflict pending the Retreat should start.

Pending states are funny.

Some like Famine, Boom and so on can start pending while a conflict is active or recovery.

Others like Expansion and Retreat can't go pending even if the conflict is recovering.

Once the recovery clears, and they are at 1% with no other conflict pending the Retreat should start.

Will keep an eye on it. Thanks. In the mean time i am going after the controlling faction.

The retreat state is a tricky beast. You will hear different things from different groups and quite a lot of "superstition". Our line on it is this:

You need to keep the faction you want out below 2.5% on the day before the state clears. Be careful also that 2.5 might actually be 2.501. Its a bit like wars, where the outcome is decided the day before the state ends, but there is the added complexity that a war or election may end it early, so the penultimate day can also be the 1st day or the day before the retreat starts.

I expect the AEDC have the best data on retreats.

came across this as well

Top Bottom