Cities: Skylines

5.75 GBP for two days only.

In summary - despite its many faults - at this price it's a bargain. if you like city builders, it's worth a look.

I strongly recommend these DLC - Parklife, Mass Transit and Snowfall (for the trams), and the mods: MoveIt and TrafficManager.

The recent Campus update the game's stability and speed has been improved. Prior to this the game was crashing very routinely for me.

Last edited:
Ive put many hours in the past month and haven't crashed once. I wouldn't recommend any of the DLC but would absolutely recommend the game, especially on sale.

This game is free if you sign up for Xbox game pass.

Since the 'Education' update the game seems HUGELY more stable and seems to be running faster and more smoothly. So it's a 'double thumbs up' from me, and I may even have to revise my Steam review.

UPDATE: The game seems massively more stable now. Have played it for a few hours this afternoon. No problems, no crashes. Brilliant!!!

Last edited:
Ive put many hours in the past month and haven't crashed once.
I wouldn't recommend any of the DLC....

No crashes. Wow, I'm very envious!!!

Really none of the DLC? Have you tried Mass Transit? It adds a lot of gameplay, the monorails are a hoot and even if not on sale I'd strongly recommend getting it. The others I'd suggest waiting for them to be on sale, but I've been surprised by how much fun can be had with Parks.

Last edited:
No crashes. Wow, I'm very envious!!!

Really none of the DLC? Have you tried Mass Transit? It adds a lot of gameplay, the monorails are a hoot and even if not on sale I'd strongly recommend getting it. The others I'd suggest waiting for them to be on sale, but I've been surprised by how much fun can be had with Parks.

I mostly ment it at as the base game is great nothing else is neccesary for the core experience.

Many of the popular steam workshop mods are out of date for years now. Ive been going into the comments and looking for affirmation that it still works before using stuff (Ive had the game a few years some of the older mods don't work). Ever since I upgraded my videocard the game is smooth (It use to get bad with sprawl / 75k plus pop). I wouldnt be suprised if one of your mods is the cause. Theres a lot of modders picking up old work and doing new versions I would try no mods to see if your still crashing and see if you can work it out.

I'm going to work on my newest city today Ill get some screens up. Id like to see yours Pil and others, always interesting for me. Maybe we could make this the official thread.

Any new players becareful with the most popular user created maps lots of them are ancient and have problems.

To those who will be starting this game, like has been said, even without DLCs it's the best city builder on the market. I have been addicted to it for years, now.

But even if you're not going to purchase DLCs, I'd recomend visiting the Workshop and download three mods in particular:
1)Citizen Lifecycle Rebalance - it randomizes life span of citizens, saving you a headache when you have whole blocks or zones dying at once (because you built them at once, naturally)
2)Traffic Manager: President Edition - Traffic is the biggest issue in any marginally large city. Being able to manage lanes is a crucial skill for keeping it in check
3) Move It - For those who want everything neat and tidy, being able to drag buildings and roads around and rearrange them without the need of rebuilding whole areas is awesome.

To those who will be starting this game, like has been said, even without DLCs it's the best city builder on the market. I have been addicted to it for years, now.

But even if you're not going to purchase DLCs, I'd recomend visiting the Workshop and download three mods in particular:
1)Citizen Lifecycle Rebalance - it randomizes life span of citizens, saving you a headache when you have whole blocks or zones dying at once (because you built them at once, naturally)
2)Traffic Manager: President Edition - Traffic is the biggest issue in any marginally large city. Being able to manage lanes is a crucial skill for keeping it in check
3) Move It - For those who want everything neat and tidy, being able to drag buildings and roads around and rearrange them without the need of rebuilding whole areas is awesome.

Great tips on the mods I'm going to check those out. I will post some of the QOL I use and consider must have when I am back on the comp.

Great tips on the mods I'm going to check those out. I will post some of the QOL I use and consider must have when I am back on the comp.
I usually don't use many mods (mainly because I tend to reinstall the games quite often (only 500GB SSD) and I usually forget which mods I used before, which renders my saves in many games useless.
But these three C:S mods are really a must for me. Without them, the game is too frustrating when I reach 50k+ population. I suck at designing efficient cities, so traffic in my games is usually horrible and the TM is making it a little less so.

Totally agree, those are three essential mods. In addition I also use these mods:

IMHO essential
Automatic Bulldoze v2 - automatically destroys abandoned and burned buildings.
Network Extensions 2 - A super helpful stock of additional road types.
Fine Road Anarchy - This mod adds additional options when building road.
Fine Road Tool - This mod allow you to set finer road elevation steps and also provides different building modes.

Nice to have
Extra Landscaping Tools - Allows to place natural resources in-game + provides configurable tree brush&pencil, terraform and water tool. This mod was previously called ' In-game Natural Resources Tool '
Precision Engineering - augments Cities: Skylines by adding angle snapping, guidelines and additional information to assist you when building roads, train lines, pipes and power lines.
Advanced Vehicle Options AVO - This mod let you customize various options about vehicles E.G. Bus and metro passenger capacity, vehicle speeds.

Really not necessary, but great to have
Roundabout Builder - This mod automatically builds roundabouts for you. It clears the area of the roads and snaps them onto the roundabout. Road anarchy* is recommended.
Ultimate Eyecandy v1.5.2 - Ultimate Eyecandy allows you to: - change the Time of Day; - change the sun's latitude and longitude; - change sun and ambient light intensity; - enable rain, snow and fog instantly and change the intensity; - change LUT's in-game, so no more having to exit to the game's Options Panel; - save all your settings as a preset; - overwrite existing and delete unwanted presets; - automatically load the last used preset when restarting the game.
Loading Screen Mod - Share textures / materials / meshes: Assets from the same author often contain the same resources but the game does not care and loads identical copies. These options replace such copies by references, saving RAM. The mod contains an optimized custom asset loader that is significantly faster than the built-in loader.

Useful assets:
P and B pavement - super nice and super popular combined pedestrian and cycle pathway.
East euro powerline beta - I small footprint alternative to the in-game power lines.
Hedges - er, hedges. Straight or curved.
HxO Water Treatment Tank - A really helpful water source.
Snakeway Highway Exit - A compact highway intersection

All of these seem to be working fine with the recent update.

Last edited:
...Id like to see yours Pil and others, always interesting for me. Maybe we could make this the official thread....

Population now 40K, traffic around mid 70*%, zero public transport. So far. * Mind you I've banned almost all traffic from the old town.

I'm very happy with the old town vs new town look - but really need to expand away from this area and the hills. Once I plumb in an airport I'm going to have to put in Mass Transit - certain to be a metro/subway/tube for the old town (where I've been leaving gaps) - anywhere else I now build may have monorail - love their look and sound.

I'm less certain about mainline trains - I find them a bit of a pain, but I may need some once I start a new town/centre away from the current one.

I'm amazed how the cims love to walk/ride - so have put in loads of connected pathways through the city right from the start - I use a mod/asset for the main path I use - it looks/works great with distinct walking/cycle zones.

DsTsIit.jpg

iPoConL.jpg

5ihREGG.jpg

vWKgS1w.jpg

17Chush.jpg

HsSf5ww.jpg

k7jkejY.jpg

5XQisJA.jpg

My current "project".
I'm going to try with no industry at all and no concentrated zoning. Instead, a lot of small villages and towns with farmland in between.
So far it's working, but everything is usually working under 40k population, so we'll see if I can keep it balanced.

Last edited:
So I was in the middle of a city but after all the great mod suggestions and some more of my own I'm afraid I have to start fresh.

I did take a couple final pics Ill post later and a couple useful mods that weren't listed. I did buy some dlc because I noticed its on sale. The only ones I really wanted were Night Life (For the prisoner mechanic) and Disasters.

Very much doubt you'll have to start again if you are adding mods. Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised!

I just want to start fresh, I added many mods and want to get use to the new behaviors and ai pathing on a small simple scale before traffic chaos ensues.

Well, one day of solid and reliable play later and the horrendous propensity to crash has returned.

However. I have noticed that if I routinely save the game, manually, the game seems much much much more stable. I'll keep an eye on this, but I wonder if the game does some 'trash collection' when the game is saved.

In any event, fingers crossed!

I installed a massive amount of mods yesterday. I started crashing on every reload and I removed the 81 tile unlock and infinite outside connections and it seemed to fix my problems. Those mods are very old and havnt been updated if your using them try knocking them out and seen if it helps.

So many of these mods have been top rated for years and then as the dlc came out they weren't reupdated. So they still show as most popular and subscribbed so you think they are safe. I just pop into mod comments and look for recent complaintd and if I see those I dont bother, espically when the last mod updated were 2016 / 2017.

The Ultimate Eye Candy mod no longer seems to have any of its time change functionality either fwiw.

Last edited:
Okay so until yesterday I was working on a city called Cloud West. I took a few screen shots before I retired it to start fresh with all the new mods. The city was about 150k Pop with no public transport yet. Im learning lessons everytime I make a new city and I feel like my city's look is a tiny bit more organic than the super strict generic efficient grids I started out using. I like screens where it looks like it could be a real city, Im getting there.

uecABrI.jpg
]

9pSG88x.jpg

w9xbqUJ.jpg

I installed a massive amount of mods yesterday. I started crashing on every reload and I removed the 81 tile unlock and infinite outside connections and it seemed to fix my problems. Those mods are very old and havnt been updated if your using them try knocking them out and seen if it helps.

So many of these mods have been top rated for years and then as the dlc came out they weren't reupdated. So they still show as most popular and subscribbed so you think they are safe. I just pop into mod comments and look for recent complaintd and if I see those I dont bother, espically when the last mod updated were 2016 / 2017.

The Ultimate Eye Candy mod no longer seems to have any of its time change functionality either fwiw.
Okay so until yesterday I was working on a city called Cloud West. I took a few screen shots before I retired it to start fresh with all the new mods. The city was about 150k Pop with no public transport yet. Im learning lessons everytime I make a new city and I feel like my city's look is a tiny bit more organic than the super strict generic efficient grids I started out using. I like screens where it looks like it could be a real city, Im getting there.

uecABrI.jpg
]

9pSG88x.jpg

w9xbqUJ.jpg
LOL!
Are you two different guys? :LOL:

Anyway - really cool shots!

LOL!
Are you two different guys? :LOL:

Anyway - really cool shots!

Not yet, I have enough trouble being one guy lately lol.

I have a huge indepth mod post to help people just jumping in and to tell you guys about a couple mods you might have missed. I also tested compatibility amongst mods yesterday and have some helpful findings. Itll be done in a bit.

I cant wait to jump into a new game with all this stuff worked out. You guys had great suggestions I didnt know about and in turn discovered some other stuff. Its really changing the game completely and making it something far superior to vanilla.

Top Bottom