Cleaning Up After The Strip Miners.

Preface: Yes I know about consoles.

System after system I encounter that has been first discovered by someone else, and even mapped (to the last object) by someone else, are not appearing in EDSM.

My OCD commands me to log them in.

I want these persons to be locked into a room, where it's dark, and Nimoy is playing Bilbo Baggins... :(

Only somewhere between a fifth and a tenth of players use EDSM. Not just consoles, I suspect a majority of PC players don't use EDSM either. Most of the non-English-speaking playerbase probably doesn't, for example.

If I find a system that's Explored but "not in EDSM" I will scan it with the FSS and move on, unless there's an ELW there too in which case I will stop and map that too. But then, I do the exact same thing for systems that are already in EDSM, so that shouldn't be surprising.

Only somewhere between a fifth and a tenth of players use EDSM.
Based on Frontier's official stats, around 2018 March, a fifth of players used EDSM, unless there's a significant difference in how much an EDSM and a non-EDSM uploader explores. Going by the DW2 statistics, however, not only was the ratio roughly double that at the sign-ups, but 70% of the ones who finished used EDSM. So, if Frontier released up-to-date system statistics now, the ratio would likely be even better.
Mind you, a fifth of players using a third-party crowdsourcing tool is already an excellent ratio.

To everyone: hey, if you scan and log planets already discovered by others to EDSM, those of us who analyze the data will be grateful.

Yes, explorers are more likely to use EDSM, because it is, at heart, an exploration tool which provides useful, helpful info that the game itself can't or won't give you. I think it's also because exploration is a very lonely profession, without even NPCs for company, and a data aggregation tool like EDSM can make even a lone wolf explorer feel like they're part of something bigger.

The majority of non-explorers won't use a tool like EDSM. And I'd reckon a large proportion of the "not on EDSM" stars within 5000 LYs of Sol will have been "discovered" by those people who try exploration and don't like it, or simply those who are slugging out their 5000 LY torture for Palin.

Edit: or simply did their exploring long ago, prior to the invention of EDSM.

Last edited:
Played and explored for years without using EDSM, only started in the last wee while because I wanted to keep an eye on my travel map. I always thought using external tools was a bit dweeby, if not cheaty, but I've since defected.

To be fair, the Codex should have had most of EDSM's features built in. I think that's what most of us expected it to be.

Yes, explorers are more likely to use EDSM, because it is, at heart, an exploration tool which provides useful, helpful info that the game itself can't or won't give you. I think it's also because exploration is a very lonely profession, without even NPCs for company, and a data aggregation tool like EDSM can make even a lone wolf explorer feel like they're part of something bigger.

The majority of non-explorers won't use a tool like EDSM. And I'd reckon a large proportion of the "not on EDSM" stars within 5000 LYs of Sol will have been "discovered" by those people who try exploration and don't like it, or simply those who are slugging out their 5000 LY torture for Palin.

The majority of non explorers will not be flying outside the known bubble and extended routes.
There is also nothing to stop any of the platforms from using EDSM.
I have it running on my phone whilst exploring.
Very easy.

I agree with your posts. Much of my time exploring was done long before I discovered third party tools.

Note that I used the tag "space madness". I'm just out here in the black feeling a bit frustrated.

[...] Not just consoles, I suspect a majority of PC players don't use EDSM either. Most of the non-English-speaking playerbase probably doesn't, for example. [...]
I don't have any actual statistics about that, but I don't think that that's true. Me and two more friends are playing Elite (two Explorers, third person isn't interested in exploration) and we all use EDSM. We're from the German-speaking part of the world. Once you've used it, there is simply no going back. ;)

Then again, English education is mandatory around here (had 10 years of it in school). I don't think that there are many Europeans who can't speak English. At least enough to handle EDSM.

And I'd reckon a large proportion of the "not on EDSM" stars within 5000 LYs of Sol will have been "discovered" by those people who try exploration and don't like it, or simply those who are slugging out their 5000 LY torture for Palin.
The "not on EDSM" stars within 5,000 ly-s? I've found unvisited systems 600 ly from Sol. Also, I've recently scooped up all the non-EDSM systems in a real nebula's sector, that has an asteroid base, also well within "Palin range". About a third of those were entirely unvisited (and no mass code A systems were present), and this is about as low-hanging fruit as it gets.
From what I hear, many of the people who don't like traveling for the Palin requirement just blow their ship up once they've made the distance. After all, if 5,000 ly was torture, why would they do 10,000 ly instead?

The majority of non explorers will not be flying outside the known bubble and extended routes.
If by the extended routes, you mean Sol - Colonia - Sagittarius A* - Beagle Point, then it's not just the non-explorers: the majority of explorers are around these lines. Beyond that, the most popular form seems to be to travel from popular destination A to B (usually nebulae) and explore the systems the route plotter gives along the way. Take a look at EDAstro's decaying heat map, EDSM's traffic report videos and their Commanders Map: there are quite few Commanders who set out into the deep galaxy

Also, note that EDSM also gets data from other tools that non-explorers use. Technically, it's the EDDN, Elite Dangerous Data Network. Take a look at the statistics: 42.3% of Commanders there are Aimless. (And 16.5% are Elite, making it the second most-common exploration rank, or the most common non-zero one.)
Or hey, I just realised that EDDN has a status page here. The software distribution is also quite interesting there.

Top Bottom