I'm strongly considering clearing my save data on my main CMDR account. IIRC, this is like starting the game over from scratch, but I'm assuming I do keep the following:

* Purchased cosmetics
* First discovery and first mapped tags

What I'm not sure about are these:

* Bookmarks
* Codex entries
* Visited systems (via galaxy map filter)
* System permits like Sol
* Squadron membership
* Key bindings

I'm on PS4, but I'm assuming whatever is stored locally (like bindings) is consistent across platforms. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm strongly considering clearing my save data on my main CMDR account. IIRC, this is like starting the game over from scratch, but I'm assuming I do keep the following:

* Purchased cosmetics

* Bookmarks
* Codex entries
* Squadron membership
* Key bindings

I'm on PS4, but I'm assuming whatever is stored locally (like bindings) is consistent across platforms. Any insight would be appreciated.

Keybindings are kept, permits, squadron membership are lost. I suspect bookmarks and codex entries as well. Not at all sure about first discoveries, that is an interesting one.

Last edited:

* Purchased cosmetics

* Bookmarks
* Codex entries
* Squadron membership
* Key bindings

Visited systems are lost so are system permits those are the only ones im sure about. i havent reset recently

I wasn't paying attention to most of those things when I reset. The permits were gone. I think the first discoveries stay with the old CMDR name.

You keep your friends list, in case you were wondering.

In Beta (PC obviously) I reset my character, but had still bookmarks from the main game. I think they are saved locally. Not sure how it works on the PS4 though.

Discoveries will remain in the name of the character who made them.

That wil no longer be "you", though.

Beyond that, everything to do with the "architecture" of the game (settings, keybindings etc) will remain but everything within the game (bookmarks, codex entries etc) will be wiped.

Might want to jot down the names of important systems such as Dav's Hope, the Jameson crash site and other useful POIs, just to save having to google them.

Don't console players have the capability of playing multiple CMDRs?

Last edited:

The Replicated Man

T
I wouldn't wipe your account Old Duck. I would buy a new one and they are on sale for $19 last I heard.

I've wiped mine 3 times. Wish I would have just bought an alt instead, would have saved so much time.

* Purchased cosmetics - Yes, it's connected to your account, not your character
* First discovery and first mapped tags Connected to your character ... I'll explain below

* Bookmarks - No
* Codex entries - Nope
* Visited systems (via galaxy map filter) - Niet
* System permits like Sol - Nein
* Squadron membership - Nada
* Key bindings - Not affected as it's connected to your game install

I have cleared my save and had the same question about the first discovered tag, so I asked Ed Lewis, and (i'll paraphrase a little here as I can't remember it word for word) the answer was that the tag stays with your old character and not your new character even if (like me) you name your new character the same as the old one. Think of it like your old character had an invisible number attached to it, say #1234 ... and your new character has a new number attached to it, say #5678. Cmdr "Fred" #1234 got the first discovered tag, but not Cmdr "Fred" #5678.

I hope that helps.

When you reset your first discoveries stay tagged under your old CMDR name, you can then restart with your old name so they match up. IIRC only you can recycle your old CMDR names and only if they not in use by you.

I already have an alt account, which I've been playing more than my main account recently. There's a couple of reasons I'm thinking of a wipe:

1) Newer players on PS4 claim to not have the bugs that I experience, and I know that sometimes account data can actually result in buggy behavior (happened to a friend), so I'm interested in trying a complete "reboot" of my CMDR to see if it fixes any of these bugs.

2) I kinda want to "start from scratch" and play a more simple game this time around - I'd be happy chauffeuring passengers in a Dolphin for the rest of my days, LOL.

3) My cosmetics are tied to my main account and cannot be shared with alt accounts.

A few things are holding me back, basically anything grind-related - unlocking Engineers, Sol, Guardian Tech, etc.

Last edited:
When you reset your first discoveries stay tagged under your old CMDR name, you can then restart with your old name so they match up. IIRC only you can recycle your old CMDR names and only if they not in use by you.

I hate to say this, but the only names reserved are the Jameson names from the Kickstarter. Even though I had "Alien" reserved at the kickstarter, if I don't hang on to it, ie I clear my save, rename my character to something else, then someone else can grab "Alien" and I would not get it back until they stop using it. And if it's that way for those of use that had names reserved, I am sorry, but normal players aren't any better off than I am.

Last edited:
I always wonder why anybody would clear their save short of iron man mode.

If you get bored and don't fancy playing anymore you've nothing to lose. The early game is a lot of fun. Second or third time around you'll be amazed at how quickly you acquire stuff having already git-gud.

I hate to say this, but the only names reserved are the Jameson names from the Kickstarter. Even though I had "Alien" reserved at the kickstarter, if I don't hang on to it, ie I clear my save, rename my character to something else, then someone else can grab "Alien" and I would not get it back until they stop using it. And if it's that way for those of use that had names reserved, I am sorry, but normal players aren't any better off than I am.

I didn't know I always restart immediately with Stigbob (now v3).

If you get bored and don't fancy playing anymore you've nothing to lose. The early game is a lot of fun. Second or third time around you'll be amazed at how quickly you acquire stuff having already git-gud.

As he said it gets boring after a while. Starting the game again gives you the adrenaline to play again because your actually progressing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom