Climbable rocks please.

I recently ran into this issue making a sort of climbing path to an elevated cave for my Formosan bears. I got it all down, looking nice by my standards though nothing super cool, but my bears couldn't get into it. I had to actually use the wooden climbable platforms in order to get the bears to walk up the rocks.

Now, I understand why you did this. So we could use rocks as a barrier for the null barrier. I totally get it. But... can we perhaps get some flat or "stepped" climbable rocks to use for bears and other heavier animals that climb (gorillas for example?) Are there climbable rocks that I am missing? Maybe there are. o.o;

This is actually a good idea.

This might also be very useful, if they decide to add more “rock climbing” animals like Alpine Ibex or Mufflons in potential future DLCs. Maybe the climbable rocks could be part of a free patch accompanying such a DLC?

I tried this in beta and I was able to build some rock structures that were climbable. I entered the traversable area heat map and placed rocks - using advanced placement and angling them little by little so that enough space was traversable. It’s fiddly, so I agree that climbing rocks would be cool to have.

I recently ran into this issue making a sort of climbing path to an elevated cave for my Formosan bears. I got it all down, looking nice by my standards though nothing super cool, but my bears couldn't get into it. I had to actually use the wooden climbable platforms in order to get the bears to walk up the rocks.

Now, I understand why you did this. So we could use rocks as a barrier for the null barrier. I totally get it. But... can we perhaps get some flat or "stepped" climbable rocks to use for bears and other heavier animals that climb (gorillas for example?) Are there climbable rocks that I am missing? Maybe there are. o.o;
Rocks ARE cilmbable right now. You just have to make them not too slope-y. Different animals can climb more sloped rocks.

Rocks ARE cilmbable right now. You just have to make them not too slope-y. Different animals can climb more sloped rocks.
I had a very gentle sloping rock path that was rather wide (wide enough for the 4 x 4 climbable platforms I had to place there to get them to go up) and they still couldn't. Formosan bears require 40 sq m of climbable space in their habitat. The rocks did not count and only upon adding platforms would they use them and count for climbable space.

Now, in the scenario I am playing, I did get some snow leopards.... or should I say white kangaroo cats? Those guys just jumped right on top of a 4m high rock cave I made them. But they certainly didn't climb up. I don't know if there's a pathing bug or what, but some of those nice flat rocks that are available to make sloping paths don't seem to be usable to make paths.

Last edited:
I wanted to add that some animals should be better at climbing steep surfaces than others, but I’m yet to test this in the final release (I tested in beta, but all animals had similar traversability).

Snow leopards, for example, should be able to scale fairly sheer rock faces. At the very least, they should be able to climb rocks far better than, say, a zebra can.

Anyone tested the snow leopards?

I wanted to add that some animals should be better at climbing steep surfaces than others, but I’m yet to test this in the final release (I tested in beta, but all animals had similar traversability).

Snow leopards, for example, should be able to scale fairly sheer rock faces. At the very least, they should be able to climb rocks far better than, say, a zebra can.

Snow leopards totally blow that catch phrase of "white cats can't jump" out of the water. They don't climb up the rocks, they just kangaroo up them.

As stated rocks CAN be "climbed" just not vertically or like in the climbing sense because well they are rocks. But if you put them down properly animals can work there way up them like as you say steps but its really REALLY tricky and I pretty much gave up. They don't seem to have a very good step height setting in their navmesh calculations. It feels like their max step is something like 6 inches lol.

Well they can't "climb" them. I don't know of any animal with claws that will actually penetrate rock. I think they just are strong jumpers. That said, yes I would expect padded feet like on a cat do "stick" to a rock better than say hooves, but they aren't climbing in the traditional sense like an animal on wood, where they have claws that let them hook into the wood and pull or push up.

As stated rocks CAN be "climbed" just not vertically or like in the climbing sense because well they are rocks. But if you put them down properly animals can work there way up them like as you say steps but its really REALLY tricky and I pretty much gave up. They don't seem to have a very good step height setting in their navmesh calculations. It feels like their max step is something like 6 inches lol.
You know what would make this less tricky? Rocks that were flagged as climbable or at least easily pathable. This is what the thread is asking for. I mean, like I said, I was making really gentle slopes. But bears can climb up steps too, I mean here's a video of a bear dancing then climbing up some rock steps to take a breather and eat some food.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1pJqNEBhJA&list=PLZYkPicTdOjMfRgh2l36pe7Nh238s6l0H&index=2

BTW- Frontier? Dancing bears? Can have? >.>;

Oh and as for rock climbing? Yeah, bears can do that too:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAB9-VGIkzM

Last edited:
I'm kinda surprised people are asking for more things to be climbable when the climbing system with primates is already janky af 😂 I'd sort of prefer they spend time perfecting that climbing before turning their attention to figuring out an entirely new system of climbing using rocks... But increasing the height for navmeshes/better ability to jump from rock to rock would be an easier fix in the meantime I think?

I'm kinda surprised people are asking for more things to be climbable when the climbing system with primates is already janky af 😂 I'd sort of prefer they spend time perfecting that climbing before turning their attention to figuring out an entirely new system of climbing using rocks... But increasing the height for navmeshes/better ability to jump from rock to rock would be an easier fix in the meantime I think?

Don't really need jumping from rock to rock. Just asking that a bear or any other heavy animal can walk up a rock slope they could easily walk up if it were terrain instead of placable rocks. And that some of these rocks would count as the "climbing" requirement for these animals. The formosan bear is the best (and only) example I can think of at the moment of a heavy animal actually requiring climbing in its habitat. I'd just like to make some rock climbing surfaces instead of all the wooden ones that the monkeys get. The bears can use those too, sure, but it looks really weird having wooden platforms for bears. =p If some of the rocks are easily walked upon compared to others, it'd be nice to have some way of determining which those are at a glance rather than having to guess.

Yeah it does look pretty bad but I've held off complaining because there are so many more important things. I do wish they'd at LEAST have some jump animation rather than this weird floaty teleport whatever it is thing they do now.

You know what would make this less tricky? Rocks that were flagged as climbable or at least easily pathable. This is what the thread is asking for. I mean, like I said, I was making really gentle slopes. But bears can climb up steps too, I mean here's a video of a bear dancing then climbing up some rock steps to take a breather and eat some food.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1pJqNEBhJA&list=PLZYkPicTdOjMfRgh2l36pe7Nh238s6l0H&index=2

BTW- Frontier? Dancing bears? Can have? >.>;

Oh and as for rock climbing? Yeah, bears can do that too:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAB9-VGIkzM
That first video is creepy AF. Is that like a guy in a bear suit? Because that's what it feels like. As for the second, yeah but that bear is climbing pretty much the same way a human would. And I'll give you that sure! I just meant they can't climb using claws like on wood.

Top Bottom