CM Communication

Very - we're also starting a new initiative which we've briefly mentioned that will bring the lead developers to streams more often with regular updates and answers to community questions. Just give us a little bit of time to get that locked in.

Now, that's the first thing i picked up since the Odyssey launch, which is above "emergency mode" and actually hints towards "lessons learned" and improving things. I like it. :)

Edit: which is also kind of my question here, if some are being answered: What does FD plan to do, to make sure that the "dropped out of the doorway on the release date, no matter in which state it is" does not happen again in the future? Are there also lessons learned done on management level?

I might be biased, but what happened here is just so reminiscent to a place i once worked: some managers bonus payment was tied to keeping the release date. So the managers did everything they could, to have the software delivered to the customer, no matter how bad shape it was in. Thus i kind of suspect that something similar keeps happening here. At my current job, as far as i know, the project managers also get a bonus payment for keeping the timeline. But even bigger bonus payments are tied to zero cathegory 1 bug reports and the number of cathegory 2 reports being below a certain number. [And yes, of course in the end the manager will then barter with the customer, if some report really is cathegory 2 or if it can be seen as cathegory 3... but as long as there's no critical issues, speaking with customers is much easier. ]

Last edited:
I mean probably your computer is directly connected to internet, your ip it's public, no router in the middle.
Without him typing ipconfig we will never know :)
Did not knwo you could get direct connections anymore in the UK, they all want to sell you a "hub" for Internet, TV etc. Oh and crap Wireless, (yes Virgin Media I am looking at you and Hub 3!).

Simon

What's the question?

I think I remember from a past post of theirs that it had to do with Power Play.

Edit: found it!

The last gameplay was very Useful it was a live proof of team and multicrew running without issues. It encouraged players to try to configure better their routers and firewalls to obtain their goal to enjoy a coop session. Thanks Zac.

Nice to hear, but i fear the boat has sailed. Several of my friends, who already before played sporadically, gave Odyssey a try. And things, hmm, did not run too well. My gut feeling is that maybe, with some luck, i might see then in ED for a little again around X-mas. But i wouldn't even bet on that, Odyssey might also have completely burnt all the bridges. :(

I mean probably your computer is directly connected to internet, your ip it's public, no router in the middle.
I can't imagine why this would be the case or why it would help. At the end of the day, little tweaks to your router or whatever are more likely to be placebo than anything, it's a P2P game.

It's great to have active CM who answer a lot of our questions or react to the posts we make.

But please keep in mind it's one of them and hundreds of us.

This intensified communication is new for us and it's understandable that if we see an active CM, there is a tendency to write our question or info into that thread, hoping it will be read by the CM. But this new open communication approach does not mean the CM will sit in a "one for all" thread and react to all our post, but (at least I hope so) will read and react to different threads across the whole forum.

Also it's planned to be continuous communication, therefore there is no need to bombard them with all our questions at this one day.

I'm writing this because I see what is currently happening in the patchnotes 3 thread, there are many posts which are not really related to the patch and many posts directed to Sally, and she is replying to many of them. It's a big effort and I don't think the CM will be able to upkeep this reply frequency over a long time, so let's not burn them out to have them replying and reacting to our threads for the next years.

Agree with OP. Please don't abuse the CMs folks ;-). Increased communication is a great thing, and I'd rather not lose it and return to being a salty curmudgeon because we are taking advantage of them. Please please PLEASE don't ruin a good thing!

What's the question?
Thanks for getting back to me.

The question was, what is FDs plans for Powerplay? The people who play the feature have always been on the blunt end of every update and for a lot of them (especially the veterans) want to know:

Is it abandoned?

Will it see a gameplay update? Right now Powerplay is essentially the same as it was six years ago.

If you do have plans for it, what are they? Are / will they be short, medium or long term plans? Powerplay has a lot of unfixed exploits due to its age, and kind of sits in the shadow of the BGS. Without knowing when people are just quitting the feature because they feel fobbed off every year with "we have no plans' or 'we want to do it'. Six years is a long time considering how much love the rest of the game gets.

The question was, what is FDs plans for Powerplay? The people who play the feature have always been on the blunt end of every update and for a lot of them (especially the veterans) want to know:

Is it abandoned?

Will it see a gameplay update? Right now Powerplay is essentially the same as it was six years ago.

If you do have plans for it, what are they? Are / will they be short, medium or long term plans? Powerplay has a lot of unfixed exploits due to its age, and kind of sits in the shadow of the BGS. Without knowing when people are just quitting the feature because they feel fobbed off every year with "we have no plans' or 'we want to do it'. Six years is a long time considering how much love the rest of the game gets.

Good luck Rubbernuke. Every time I think you are finally going to get an FDev answer about Powerplay it never actually happens.

Maybe Zac can break the trend today? :unsure:

I have a suggestion how the flood of questions can be managed. I'm not sure if it's something FDevs / CMs want or will do, but I hope to see that for a long time.

Instead of forum topics, we could have a votable list of questions.
So CMs can answer the top-voted questions in first place.

Actually, I'd run an own portal for this for free by myself, as soon as players and CMs says it could be useful.

I have a suggestion how the flood of questions can be managed. I'm not sure if it's something FDevs / CMs want or will do, but I hope to see that for a long time.

Instead of forum topics, we could have a votable list of questions.
So CMs can answer the top-voted questions in first place.

Actually, I'd run an own portal for this for free by myself, as soon as players and CMs says it could be useful.

Yeah, I can see tiered voteable system like this being of some use...especially since they are a small team.
But it'd have to be frontier owned, sadly )-:

Edit: you would have to make sure this system could not be abused too, which might be difficult but not impossible.

Last edited:
Very - we're also starting a new initiative which we've briefly mentioned that will bring the lead developers to streams more often with regular updates and answers to community questions. Just give us a little bit of time to get that locked in.
Hi there!

A welcoming idea, EDO just needs a bit more of empathy between working devs and engaged supporters. Spreading knowledge about technical limitations but feasible goals too will prevent complaints and limit frustrations.

That way, people with real complaints like me about space cats will be heard at last! :geek:

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier

Is it abandoned?

Thanks - I know the immediate answer is that it's not a priority currently as we're focusing on Odyssey development, but I'll ask some questions and see if we can update you soon either way.

Is it abandoned?

carry_the_torch.jpg

I will be crying myself to sleep tonight.
I mean ball not person, I’m critical however I really try to not be personal.

That being said, it’s good to see some interaction with the community, so you really now need a system to channel the relevant questions and filter the noise. Example, ship interiors, it was never a part of odyssey so in that relation it’s noise, that discussion should be parallel somewhere else like in suggestions.

what I would like to know is;

1. Mission development (this is complex and need a deeper discussion) however as one example will we see more like the mission we got at the introduction of odyssey?
2. Lore development and continuation of the lore in the game, return of GalNet?

3. FPS improvement, we need some guidelines related to GPU cards, like GTX980 we aim for an average of steady 30 FPS and so on, or you need to be very honest and say to get a steady 60 FPS in 1440p ultra you need a [insert name].

4. EVA mechanics, is that something we will see in Odyssey? Scavengering in space getting access to some of the mega freighters and walk around inside?

5. More weapons planned for Odyssey like kinetic sniper or railgun sniper rifles.

In game i saw a note saying that game is shutting down in 40 mins. Please look on the forums for more information. Where is this post?

Crash101

Guys...this is a thread about not bombarding the CM team all at once with questions...which is precisely what is happening right now.

I can totally see most of these questions as being valid, but can we at least move them to a new post...maybe make a new one?

Top Bottom