CM Communication

The game has directed me to the forum about the incoming shutdown. I thought this was the best place to post it. Are you able to answer this? Dextio?

Crash

Sorry if that hurts. But it's not even meant in an evil way. You are community managers. You don't have to be top end players. If i want to watch somebody fly on a level which i can't ever compete with, i go to the videos of Morbad or some other people he regularily flies with.

I mean, I admit i have not watched the streams since a while. The last one i actually watched, somebody went out of the station, wanted to go to supercruise. He did not manage to, and it took him like over a minute to figure out to retract the landing gear. What enjoyment would i get out of watching somebody play, who's struggling with so basic things? (It's kind of interesting to sometimes watch an actual beginner out there. To get a feeling on where new players struggle by now, as each of us mostly remembers the things he struggled with then he was new, on the state of the game at that time. But an FD employee showing off the game should not be on that level. )

And even more honestly: if you as CM would be as well trained in flying spaceships, as some people here are, then you probably would spend too much time on the game, ignoring other aspects of your job. (As said, the ones i would actually once like to see on your stream are your playtesters. )

I still haven't managed to watch the stream, but i sure will do so later. If it's as information heavy as people say, it's an very welcome improvement. And i really hope that you can keep it up. That would really be awesome. (So really: prove me wrong, when i think that it'll only be good for a limited time. It's how it was in the past, but it does not have to be like that again. :) )
I watch it because it's hilariously bad at times. It's funny and the CMs are fun too. I don't watch it to see how good they are at the game.

Also the snippets of news is always useful too.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I waited (and still wait) for almost a year for an answer.

How hard is it for the CMs to ask EDs lead designer / producer to look at something / for the lead / producer to provide an answer?
All of the Polish community beat you with now almost 6 years waiting for a simple yes/no to whether the announced Polish language will be finally added to the game or not.

GET IN LINE! :ROFLMAO:

Guys...this is a thread about not bombarding the CM team all at once with questions...which is precisely what is happening right now.

I can totally see most of these questions as being valid, but can we at least move them to a new post...maybe make a new one?
That's what I tried to say with this thread.

Guess we have to get used to that CM will be more present in the whole forum, not only one or two threads.

Thanks - I know the immediate answer is that it's not a priority currently as we're focusing on Odyssey development, but I'll ask some questions and see if we can update you soon either way.
:D Thanks, I kind of guessed FD would be busy with Odyssey.

I do know during the Q+A period it was mooted (after Odyssey) that (along with AX) Powerplay would see a rebalance (which would be much needed) but really I hope the meat of the answer will be if any (or all) of those changes mooted by Sandro three years ago are still 'it' or has ED really abandoned / feature frozen thinking of other things for Powerplay.

But I'm going to retreat to my cave and wait :D

Thanks - I know the immediate answer is that it's not a priority currently as we're focusing on Odyssey development, but I'll ask some questions and see if we can update you soon either way.
With that in mind, Zac, and honestly I appreciate you have bigger fish to fry at this particular time, but can we look forward to hearing something about proposed content for Xenobiology at the end of June? Cheers.

Guess we have to get used to that CM will be more present in the whole forum, not only one or two threads.

That would be a very welcome thing. And yes, while we now post questions, i also know that they won't all get answered. But it would be nice if the CM would merely collect questions asked. Browse the forum a few times a week, check the most active threads, make a list of questions. Then for the next stream, you pick out the 5 most frequently asked questions and roll a dice for 3 more completely random questions on the list, then answer those.

If you don't want to prepare answers for everything, roll the dice for the 3 random ones in advance, get the answers, then just fake rolling during the stream for the sake of being a show. :D

I watch it because it's hilariously bad at times. It's funny and the CMs are fun too. I don't watch it to see how good they are at the game.

Also the snippets of news is always useful too.

Matter of taste. I don't take joy in watching other people fumble. And i also don't expect the CMs to be top pilots. It's not their job. But in those streams i watched (as admitted above: i stopped years ago, but i will watch the new one on the weekend), there was a lot of fumbling around and very little to no actual information presented. For several streams in a row. And watching a 90 to 120 minutes of stream, which does not amuse me too much and also provides very little or no actual information, just doesn't seem reasonable.

If you like the streams, another idea could be: they start the stream with a 15 minutes "actual info now" block. That i would watch, while skipping the rest of them just playing the game.

Last edited:

Your internal stats should show around 3,000-4,000 commanders perform a Powerplay action per month. Replace Merit Decay with a Powerplay Shop for the modules & a set of universal rewards and make some tweaks to remove the lossy spheres under a reformed turmoil system and the feature could go someplace.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

That would be a very welcome thing. And yes, while we now post questions, i also know that they won't all get answered. But it would be nice if the CM would merely collect questions asked. Browse the forum a few times a week, check the most active threads, make a list of questions. Then for the next stream, you pick out the 5 most frequently asked questions and roll a dice for 3 more completely random questions on the list, then answer those.

If you don't want to prepare answers for everything, roll the dice for the 3 random ones in advance, get the answers, then just fake rolling during the stream for the sake of being a show. :D

Matter of taste. I don't take joy in watching other people fumble. And i also don't expect the CMs to be top pilots. It's not their job. But in those streams i watched (as admitted above: i stopped years ago, but i will watch the new one on the weekend), there was a lot of fumbling around and very little to no actual information presented. For several streams in a row. And watching a 90 to 120 minutes of stream, which does not amuse me too much and also provides very little or no actual information, just doesn't seem reasonable.

If you like the streams, another idea could be: they start the stream with a 15 minutes "actual info now" block. That i would watch, while skipping the rest of them just playing the game.
Arthur is doing pretty good in the FPS combat zones, and as far as I can see with G1 gear.

Arthur is doing pretty good in the FPS combat zones, and as far as I can see with G1 gear.

Good for him. Still not what i'd want from a community manager. We have enough streamers who can play the game for our entertainment for a lot of time, if we don't want to play ourselves. But neither of them can directly get in touch with the designers and/or developers and ask questions which the community is interested in. Being able to do so is the huge advantage of a community manager, so this is what i really want to see. (And yes, i read that the last stream was doing just that. I will watch it in a few hours, if things turn out fine. If it's as good as people say: awesome, please keep it up! :) )

Last edited:
Good for him. Still not what i'd want from a community manager. We have enough streamers who can play the game for our entertainment for a lot of time, if we don't want to play ourselves. But neither of them can directly get in touch with the designers and/or developers and ask questions which the community is interested in. Being able to do so is the huge advantage of a community manager, so this is what i really want to see. (And yes, i read that the last stream was doing just that. I will watch it in a few hours, if things turn out fine. If it's as good as people say: awesome, please keep it up! :) )
I think they are moving in the right direction, forced or not it’s an improvement.

Oki. I now had time to listen to it. And indeed, it was much better than those i still remember from the times i gave up on the livestreams. Especially the first 45 to 50 minutes had value to me. When they switched to playing, visiting the Thargoid site and so on, i lost interest. I still let it run to the end, but it was not my thing.

This is perfectly fine for me. An info package at the start, then whatever gameplay for those who like to watch that part. I just hope that they manage to keep it up. And no, i don't think that we'll still have like 50 minutes of actual info in a year from now. But if the first 15 minutes is actual info on what's going on, the rest is playing a game, perfectly fine.

For me personally, i'd even prefer to not bother with a lifestream. Getting a few paragraphs of text or even just some bullet points on what's going on in a forum post here would already be allright. Some text on what's planed, a few screenshots and/or a small video on new or updated game mechanics, would already go a long way. (And would also have helped a lot already with Odyssey. Just showing us the changed menus two months ahead of time, as concept art, would have resulted in getting feedback on what is missing much earlier, so they could've been adjusted before launch. Which would have softened the blow, when other things also went wrong. )

So yea, this lifestream was good. I just hope that it's not completely forgotten once "emergency mode" is over, but that we also get some lasting positive effect out of this.

I like what I'm seeing here! It's like the interaction that players get from Start Citizen CMs and devs without the constant sunshine up the butt and the cult of personality! ;)

Perfectly understandable that Odyssey specific issues and the upcoming console release are the top priority at the moment. That said, I really hope the fine folks at Frontier realize how much potential Powerplay has, if given the proper care in the long term. I've just recently begun to dip my toe in, and what's there is a solid foundation, but it's a foundation just begging for more. A few years ago I remember Sandro mentioning the possibility of adding Powerplay-specific missions, and even making Powerplay contributions count more if they were made in Open play. I really hope these ideas are revisited at some point.

Also, I just want to say that I appreciate the more frequent communication from you and the rest of the CM team here on the forums lately. I realize it probably isn't easy wading into the swamp, knowing how this community can be... but hey, we're here because we love the game!

Last edited:
1624264346941.png

Heyo - current plan is to speak about Powerplay on the first monthly developer stream at the end of the month.
Excellent!

Its been a number of years since devs have been on camera talking about it (and those who did....never came back) - with it being such a complex topic full of uber jargon will you be taking questions up front? Its going to get brutal when the acronyms fly like bullets :D

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Excellent!

Its been a number of years since devs have been on camera talking about it (and those who did....never came back) - with it being such a complex topic full of uber jargon will you be taking questions up front? Its going to get brutal when the acronyms fly like bullets :D

I'm not sure yet, but feel free to shoot across a few (be reasonable please) in a PM to me and I'll take a look!

Top Bottom