CMDRS WANTED - DSSA Fleet Carrier Deployment

Hi Raigoth!

You're both welcome to join. Fill out the form in the OP and I'll be in touch with Discord and PG links.

I've finished the FC money grind, so I have some free game time if either of you'd like a hand with earning credits, engineering or just settling in.

Regards,
Gnauty

Hi Raigoth!

You're both welcome to join. Fill out the form in the OP and I'll be in touch with Discord and PG links.

I've finished the FC money grind, so I have some free game time if either of you'd like a hand with earning credits, engineering or just settling in.

Regards,
Gnauty

Awesome! Ill go ahead and apply where needed and hopefully we can get started. I wont be available to talk until around 5 pm my time (Its 12:45 as of writing this post) due to some obligations in Arma 3 that I go through every weekend, but after that I will be free to talk to anyone.

Great, looks like we are in the same TZ. Most of my day today is going to be spent in Zoom meetings. Sunday might work. And the Tuesday standing op is definitely on. Welcome aboard the Callisto!

Great, looks like we are in the same TZ. Most of my day today is going to be spent in Zoom meetings. Sunday might work. And the Tuesday standing op is definitely on. Welcome aboard the Callisto!
Thanks, im gonna be logging in tonight for a while. Dont know if you will be on or not.

What makes a good home?

That's a question we've been asking ourselves as we prepare for the DSSA Callisto's Respite expedition.

Unlike many of the DSSA expeditions that have selected a system prior to heading out, we are departing to a general area reported to have a high number of ELWs and WWs. We will scout out a suitable deployment system once we reach northern Arcadian Stream.

We will, in short, be in full exploration mode as soon as we arrive. There are a couple of challenges to this. The first is, what makes for a suitable home for our FC? The second is, how can we be sure we are rigorously exploring the local area without rescanning the same systems?

A few of us just spent several days on a practice run near the bubble (~1,500 ly out). We developed a grid system where commanders self-assigned themselves slices of the galaxy 10ly x 10ly x 100ly and started exploring an overall grid 50ly x 50ly x 100ly. We were running ED Discovery to track our findings and export data for ring and planetary scans into a Google sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zbQY5h2RiQ29TFSJ2TUaoeqlw3HJMrLx-D65y9wX1aA/edit?usp=sharing

CMDRs were asked to FSS scan every system in their assigned area and to DSS scan all planetary rings. We know that we will want to base out of a system with Tritium. For our testing purposes, we substituted Grandidierite for Tritium (which is not yet available in game).

With an eye toward 2021's planned update, "Elite Dangerous: The Next Era," we also want a system which is potentially useful for colonization, base building, or just stretching the space legs we may eventually grow. That brings in qualities like landable planets, terraformable bodies and earth-like worlds. This has lead us to prioritize systems with the following features:
  1. Tritium, Landable & ELW
  2. Tritium, Landable & Terraformable
  3. Tritium & Landable
The linked spreadsheet summarizes our findings. Although we found 33 systems that had both Grandidierite (our simulated Tritium) and landable planets, none of the 266 systems we explored combined those features with either an ELW or terraformable planet.

But, we know they're out there.

Once we are on station and beginning exploration in earnest, our initial search area will be 100ly x 100ly x 100ly. My expectation is that we will find a suitable deployment system within a week or so of arrival.

If this sounds like something you would like to be involved with, feel free to join the expedition. Details are in the OP above. If you'd like to suggest improvements in our spreadsheet or exploration process, just start a conversation by replying to this thread.

Thanks and o7.

Regards,
Gnauty

The DSSA Calliso will be participating in the Aphelion Expedition which Erimus Kamzel officially announced today. I definitely recommend reading up on it. In part because it provides a lot of details on the Bubble to Galactic Core segment of our trip. But also because Erimus just writes such a good expedition announcement. Reading it has me re-excited and looking forward to the Fleet Carrier update!

We will be acting as sweep carrier for this expedition. Launching the day AFTER the main group departs, we will be offering passage for any CMDRs who - literally - missed their boat. We will skip several of the waypoints in order to catch-up with the rest of the fleet at Explorer's Anchorage in time for the mining/fueling op. My expectation is that this segment will last 2-3 days with several hours of back-to-back FC jumps followed by an all-clear which will allow CMDRs to get out and do a little exploring, mining, sightseeing, or whatever they'd like. These windows of down-time will probably last 12-16 hours with a hard departure time communicated well in advance.

So, give the Aphelion Expedition announcement a read!

Sounds great, but sounds also that I not have to prepare my own carrier for Callisto-juice-up somewhere in Empyrean Straits anymore – with the 3 days schedule it makes no sense for another refuel-stop till Explorer’s Anchorage. :) I’ll switch then to plan “B” – both of my alts launch with Callysto (of course with T9 tanks both), then at very first refueling I will – as the first alt - donate all the Tritium, sell the T9, jump off with an other ship and move back to the bubble. The second alt stays then with the expedition all the way - till the work is done. :)

Last edited:
All my systems are GO for launch! :) (y)

My main ship for mission is Krait MkII in 3 different configurations:
Set 1: Mining. Sub-surface missiles. Jump: 43.4ly unladen and 33.9ly laden (I prepared mining lasers, just in case)
Set 2: Rescue. Repair & fuel transfer limpets. Jump: 53.5ly unladen and 44.1ly laden.
Set 3: Return. Half empty with AFMU. Jump: 55.2 unladen and 49.6ly laden.

My second ship for sightseeing and having fun is iCourier. She has SRV, jump range about 30.8ly and speed 545m/s (740m/s when boosting) :)

Last edited:
Without the need in the support carrier all my system are also go; I take the available time just to polish it a little (like non-obligatory engineering or quick purchase of a T9-Tank).
The prospector/repairer AspEx “Gadget Hackwrench” has already passed the acceptance tests by taking a part on the DSSA practice run near the bubble (I doubt only if I really have to carry a fuel transfer controller - after all, it must be really unlucky day for someone, who’s prospecting with his own fuel scoop at max 72 ly from the carrier, on a economical routes. Please correct me if I’m wrong!).
And the miner Anaconda “Electric Delight” has full set of subsurface missile launchers and mining lasers, so the collector limpets surely will be not bored. If I miss the Mercy of Angel, the Annie will be fast rebuilded for the trip back.

I've thrown my hat in the ring. Only have a paltry 56 hours logged in Steam, but most of that has been in exploration. Happy to fill a role for the expedition and switch over to exploration once we get there.

My goal is a Tritanium-ringed ELW. We can find that, right?
Earth-like worlds are rarely found in systems with gas giants. But ice planets in the same system as earth-like ones are possible. Also, worlds like Earth are rarely with rings, for all their explorers ' activity in the game (about 5 years), I found only two such worlds,and both asteroid rings were stone.

We now have 31 sign-ups and I am 100% caught-up on welcome emails. If you've signed up for the expedition, please be sure to join the FleetComm PG and get onto Discord.We have a channel, dssa-callistos-respite, drop by and introduce yourself!

Small question here , i'm not sure for irl matters that i can be active the whole time, is it possible to join casualy ? It mean I dock at carrier and help when i can . Because the place you'r going to is the place were i want to investigate guardian stuff. also I somehow like minning :p

I dont care about fame tbh , just want to tag along and help / explore when I can.

Do I have to do the form and join the PG ? or is it possible to join without it ?

edit : thanks for your quick answer =)

Top Bottom