Co-orbital Planets?

I've recently come across two planets that share almost the same orbit:

Hypoe Pra VZ-O e6-382 3.jpg
Hypoe Pra VZ-O e6-382 4.jpg

They both have the same Semi Major Axis of 0.11AU, but have a slightly different Orbital Period of 10.0 and 10.1, and one has a slightly inclined orbit.

The orbit lines are very close and the difference between the Arrival Distance's is only 0.33ls.

I did a little searching and the closest classification I can find to describe this relationship is "Co-Orbital Configuration".

My astronomical knowledge is limited and I was wondering if anybody knew if this is at least close to the proper description for this?

CMDR Andrew Reid

Interesting find - I expect it would be an unstable arrangement, but that's no reason we shouldn't occasionally see one. Not sure what it would be called; the idea of a counter-Earth(TM) is an old one, so if they're opposite each other call it a counter-HYPOE PRA VZ-O E6-382 3? :D

I've seen an arrangement before somewhere where planets had some kind of Trojan style orbit - ahead and behind on an orbital track with some other planet involved, but not opposite each other; I like that these things occasionally appear.

Interesting find - I expect it would be an unstable arrangement, but that's no reason we shouldn't occasionally see one.

Yes, I like coming across these types of things once in a while, it feels like you're catching the Galaxy "in the act" of evolving and doing it's thing in the background and it gives one the impression that's it's a dynamic changing environment and not a static snapshot.

Since the Orbital Periods are different I don't think they're at 180deg from each other and one would catch up to the other eventually, that's why I was thinking it might fit the definition of "Co-orbital Bodies", but again I'm not really sure, it just seemed the best fit that I could find.

@ Jackie: BTW, I'm still collecting data for the old "Terrafomable Survey", as well as the other items on the shopping list, so when I get to Beagle point I'll shoot you a PM about it.

CMDR Andrew Reid

Last edited:
Top Bottom