Coaster Smoothness

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Excellent. I would love to see just a complete piece for a barrel roll for instance, where we could adjust length, bump height (as most barrel rolls are humped) and end point either on a vertical or horizontal axis.At the moment it's still as it is from Beta, where you can manually make a barrel roll from 4 pieces but removing the awkward jerky transition is extremely difficult.
Yes, I was thinking, if at least as temporary solution wouldn´t be to focus on pre-made pieces (polish the current ones and add some missing - barrel rolls for instance as you mentioned).

Hello

First of all, sorry for my bad english. Still learning.
I am a planet coaster fan since day one and a member of the coaster head club. And I have enjoyed the game since then.
From time to time, I ran into issues but hopped it will be fixed soon. And I learned to live with them. There is the path system I don't like but can live with, there is or was the lack of management (still trying 1.4).
But one thing that turned me off from the start was the coaster smoothness issue. Now I don't expect a Nolimits simulation system. It has to be easy and fun. But, it takes me totaly out of the experience when I have to watch any type of coaster stuttering on the track. I've spend many many hours creating my dream coaster and landscape only to experience a very bad ride.
The premade coaster designs are so bad, I cannot understand how a company like Frontiers can release them.

I am very happy so far with the game and will support it further, but it is so frustrating to have this issue even after update 1.4. One year after release.
It totaly takes me out of the experience.

I totally understand that this is not a big issue for a lot of people. And I am not a game developer so I don't know what the problem could be, if it is very hard to solve.
But to me, its a very big deal, even a dealbreaker soon. Cause I lost all motivation to even start to create a coaster now, because I know how bad the experience will be.

But finnaly, thank you Frontier for the great update 1.4.
And please don't take it as a rant or something. Just my two cents on an issue I have with the game.

Hello

First of all, sorry for my bad english. Still learning.
I am a planet coaster fan since day one and a member of the coaster head club. And I have enjoyed the game since then.
From time to time, I ran into issues but hopped it will be fixed soon. And I learned to live with them. There is the path system I don't like but can live with, there is or was the lack of management (still trying 1.4).
But one thing that turned me off from the start was the coaster smoothness issue. Now I don't expect a Nolimits simulation system. It has to be easy and fun. But, it takes me totaly out of the experience when I have to watch any type of coaster stuttering on the track. I've spend many many hours creating my dream coaster and landscape only to experience a very bad ride.
The premade coaster designs are so bad, I cannot understand how a company like Frontiers can release them.

I am very happy so far with the game and will support it further, but it is so frustrating to have this issue even after update 1.4. One year after release.
It totaly takes me out of the experience.

I totally understand that this is not a big issue for a lot of people. And I am not a game developer so I don't know what the problem could be, if it is very hard to solve.
But to me, its a very big deal, even a dealbreaker soon. Cause I lost all motivation to even start to create a coaster now, because I know how bad the experience will be.

But finnaly, thank you Frontier for the great update 1.4.
And please don't take it as a rant or something. Just my two cents on an issue I have with the game.

Agreed, love the game, love the free updates, but can't help but feel let down. It's as someone said in the Path thread, you get a feeling of "If not now (Anniversary) then when?"

I'm looking at my coasters that have taken hours of work and feel let down the barrel rolls or corkscrews will never feel good when they're custom inversions.

So new discovery after a little experimenting.

I did say some pages back that the Cascade looks smooth, and after playing with it, I found its the smoothest in the game, and why is that? my theory was "Maybe because the camera is locked to the boat" you see, everything else in Planet Coaster has this weird camera where the camera starts to turn before the train car starts to, so I wonder to myself "Is there anything else in game that has a camera locked to a car?" and there is! The Spinning Coaster.

So, I make a spinning coaster, I turn off restrictions, I do a curved downhill drop, followed by a corkscrew, I don't use the 4 meter technique, I just use the normal smoothing tool, and BAM, its smooth, no problem, I advise others to try this too, because this may just be a camera issues and not the builder itself (well, apart from custom heart-lines)
Edit: it is still janky, but not in the same way, let me know your results :D

Last edited:
So new discovery after a little experimenting.

I did say some pages back that the Cascade looks smooth, and after playnig with it, I found its the smoothest in the game, and why is that? my theory was "Maybe because the camera is locked to the boat" you see, everything else in Planet Coaster has this weird camera where the camera starts to turn because the train car starts to, so I wonder to myself "Is there anything else in game that has a camera locked to a car?" and there is! The Spinning Coaster.

So, I make a spinning coaster, I turn off restrictions, I do a curved downhill drop, followed by a corkscrew, I don't use the 4 meter technique, I just use the normal smoothing tool, and BAM, its smooth, no problem, I advise others to try this too, because this may just be a camera issues and not the builder itself (well, apart from custom heart-lines)
Edit: it is still janky, but not in the same way, let me know your results :D

I have heard people say that about the cascade as well. Personally i don't really see a difference in smoothness. It is still just as janky as other coasters. However, there is something weird going on with the cameras for sure. I have been doing some experimenting myself with camera settings. It is interesting you point out the 'one-car' train thing, since I noticed similar stuff. Except it doesn't depend on the amount of cars, rather wether the camera is attached to the car itself. This is the result I ended up with:

5b53e0ff955687b26bf4b012173d09a8.gif

Another part of the ride:

b92b99c8f1fe576681e904471347d76e.gif

Pretty darn smooth if you ask me, especially for Planet Coaster.

However, if we take another camera setting and look at the actual shaping of the track, you see how crooked it really is (and the cars do move in the same jerky way as the track as well, except for maybe the front car). Notice the track shaping:

Same segments of the ride as the previous GIFS.

de4689e518c3bf6bc4d160b531928749.gif

de4689e518c3bf6bc4d160b531928749.gif

So the jerkyness is not only noticeable in the camera movement, also in the actual train movement when you watch a offride POV (use the camera that follows the train around for example). The jitter is extremely noticeable. Unfortunately I do not have a gif of that right now, but I can post one later. So there definitely is something strange going on, since the camera movement itself if fairly smooth (still not perfect tho) compared to the track shape and train movement.

Here another example of a smooth turn where the camera is attached to the front car:

f4dfd6ff048cc4ba573fe690d1405f6c.gif

Notice again how the camera seems to be stuck on the coaster train itself, no weird movement prediction or guest head simulation. Still, it only works when you only see the first car of the train. Once you see more cars, you see them jitter around and it breaks the illusion of having a smooth coaster.

Still, I do believe the actual unsmooth is caused by the track shape itself. The game does not have a continuous roll, and this can easily be seen in the shape of the track, the POV camera styles and car movement. The trick I used to get the above results if fun, but kinda gimmicky, even more so than the '4m-smoothing method', since it only works on a select few coasters.

Has anyone noticed the camera on the water coaster does this weird "shift" when it transitions from a water section to a lift hill? I found it a bit strange and wondered if it had something to do with them experimenting with the camera some

I've noticed that the 4 meter trick works with every segment length. Longer segments actually improve smoothness but makes building a smaller layout harder (good for stretched out coasters)

But, if I stick to one length for the entire trackbuild I can do the same trick as when you build with 4 meter segments. Because spacing is always 8 meter, track segments follow each other better instead of using different lengths where the smoothing tool actually messes up any turn and hop.

But in the end, it could still be better.

A good solution would be to just allow us to rotate a track the full 360 degrees. But yeah, continuous roll is sorely needed. My fly-to-lie is janky!

I do agree with your idea. When I'd like to build a loop for my coaster, it takes me so long to finish and make it smooth cuz sometimes I don't like an in-game loop . However, the worse thing is the SUPPORTS for coasters which make me feel let down and don't want to build any roller coasters because of their unrealistic and too thin supports :( hope they'll fix these 2 issues soon

I have had some luck smoothing with certain techniques, and posted a screencap of some of these techniques:

[video=youtube_share;x0Dnx9RYNSo]https://youtu.be/x0Dnx9RYNSo?t=453[/video]

Skip to around 7:30 for the important bit. If you guys want me to elaborate on some of these or make a proper tutorial then let me know.
I have some other videos on my channel with these techniques, might be worth checking out if youre interested.

Last edited:
Seems pretty time consuming, I wouldn't have such a problem with it if they just fixed the coaster cam, I want to know what genius thought "Hey! you know what would be a great idea? If we used the same way the coaster cam works in RCT3 and have the camera turn before the car starts turning" its really... incredibly annoying.

Anyway, I made a side by side using some terrible program (ugh) the left side shows the default passenger camera, the right shows the camera which puts focus' on the coaster's car from the front (interest number 1) but I turned it so that it views it from behind.
[video=youtube_share;SmHBHIe7vgk]https://youtu.be/SmHBHIe7vgk[/video]

Last edited:
I have had some luck smoothing with certain techniques, and posted a screencap of some of these techniques:

Skip to around 7:30 for the important bit. If you guys want me to elaborate on some of these or make a proper tutorial then let me know.
I have some other videos on my channel with these techniques, might be worth checking out if youre interested.

That looks great but thats quiet a long drawn and flat roll. The main issue is the amount of time you had to spend to create it, having to constantly work around the coaster editor is a night mare.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom