Coaster Smoothness

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Since the beta forums closed I am restarting this thread because I think it is still worth discussing.

ORIGINAL POST
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone!

Whenever I make a coaster I find it to be very difficult to make smooth transistions between trackpieces with different degrees of banking. I dont think I am the only one with this problem, because every coaster I have seen in Youtube videos or from the Workshop has this problem.

Now, I noticed that trackpieces bank in a very odd way. When you bank a trackpiece, the tilt does not start at the beginning of the trackpiece. Rather it starts a bit further into the trackpiece, which causes the beginning of the trackpiece to have (almost) no banking it all. This causes 'bumps' in the track when you add multiple trackpieces with different kinds of banking (like when you make a barrelroll for instance).

In the following pictures you can see how this affects the smoothness of the track:

FPmEk4L.png

iD5QwPp.png

The smoothtool can smooth these bumps out a bit, but the amount of banking still isn't evenly ditributed across the trackpiece (plus, too much smoothing destroys the shape of the track).

To fix this problem, the banking should be distributed evenly across the trackpiece.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See here KingRCT3's post, visualising the problem and a solution in a different way:

KingRCT3's ORIGINAL POST

This solution alone would result to rough transitions, tho. What PC needs is a "continuous roll" button, similar to what NoLimits had (which is the same as the "strict" option in NL2, by the way).

Here is a quick graphic to show what that means:

jAJC4n6.jpg

Each red dot is a node, where a certain roll value is applied (here, -45°, 0° and 45°). The blue handles are the control points that handle the smoothing of the bezier curve (I'msure Planet Coaster uses that method).
But as it is at the moment, all the nodes have a plateau, which we don't always want, but still need at the start and the end of a rotation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under the spoilertag are some videos people privided showing the problem in-game:

Sirius360's video:
[video=youtube;uXC4t7Fs8v0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXC4t7Fs8v0[/video]

Kronark's video:
[video=youtube_share;I53dV-OMpvI]https://youtu.be/I53dV-OMpvI[/video]

Oh wow thanks Chems for reposting this! There is already another new thread about this but without the great pictures we've got here! [happy] So maybe it woulf make change to move on with this thread only.

The pictures you used to illustrate are very good. I also made a short video about the smoothness/banking problem. Maybe this video will also help to show the problem.

[video=youtube;uXC4t7Fs8v0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXC4t7Fs8v0[/video]

I hope they will fix this problem soon!

Oh wow thanks Chems for reposting this! There is already another new thread about this but without the great pictures we've got here! [happy] So maybe it woulf make change to move on with this thread only.

The pictures you used to illustrate are very good. I also made a short video about the smoothness/banking problem. Maybe this video will also help to show the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXC4t7Fs8v0

Hey, no problem! Turns out it wasn't really needed since the beta forums are up again, but lets keep it here for after launch day. Unless it is fixed tomorrow! [big grin]

I linked your vids in the OP btw (credited ofc). They are under the spoiler tag. [yesnod]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXC4t7Fs8v0

Good demonstration, but I've had it a lot worse on custom-made corkscrews etc, even after x amount of smoothing.

Good demonstration, but I've had it a lot worse on custom-made corkscrews etc, even after x amount of smoothing.

Yep. Inversions are the worst offender... most of the time. It's strange, sometimes I can make an almost perfectly smooth barrelroll, other times I can't get it smooth at all. This happens even when using the same coastertype, with same segment-length and angle snap. [confused]

Last edited:
I linked your vids in the OP btw (credited ofc). They are under the spoiler tag.

Oh i didn't see that :) I'm sorry for reposting my video.

There is another problem that Stream pointet out in an other thread:
To add onto this, the transition into and out of any pre-built element (loop, overbooked curve, etc) tend to be very rough because you can't smooth the pre-built pieces. I wish they were bendable like the regular tracks too.
If the pre-built pieces were bendable too, it would be perfect. After that we could create the smoothest coasters ever! I hope the devs will work on that [happy]

They should indeed be bendable. That said, the pre-built pieces themselves are actually really smooth! [haha]

That said, the pre-built pieces themselves are actually really smooth!

Yes they are! But the transition into and out of any pre-built element has always no tilt. And sometimes you want a pre-built piece right after a banked curve. Let's say i have a curve and after the curve i want a pre-built spiral in the same direction as my previous curve. At the moment my track has to get no tilt at all bevore it tilts again for the spiral. And it would be awesome if we could smooth the start and end of a pre-built piece too.

I hope you understand what I mean [happy]

I understood. I just meant that the pre-built pieces themselves dont have these weird dents. Back in alpha 1 I believe the pre-built corckscrew was like really really unsmooth. [tongue]

Totally agree with this post. It was the main issue I had early on with coasters with the first alpha, it was improved a fair bit but still a issue.

The problem would become less if we had access to pitch and yaw handles on existing pieces of track. I like the smooth and smooth all feature but I want a little more fine-tuning when editing existing track pieces.

So the game is now released! [big grin] And i already tested the smoothening tool. But sadly the problem is still there in 1.0.0. No change at all. [downcast]

They had stated nothing would change from Beta to Release. We can only hope patches and content arrives further down the line. I am holding off playing till then tbh.

yeah its kinda putting me off making anything other than rough wooden rides, i was hoping it would be fixed for release. TBH i dont think there is any chance of it being fixed at all now, what with being out of beta and all. One can dream though [happy]

They had stated nothing would change from Beta to Release. We can only hope patches and content arrives further down the line. I am holding off playing till then tbh.

Well, its not really content is it? I see it more as a something that isnt working correctly.

a million times this!

I posted a few times and while things have got better its still having continuous rolling would just be icing on the cake.

that or being able to chose the start and end point of the banking would be epic!

I'm pleased that its not just me.

dont get me wrong I'm having an absolute blast with PC but just beign able to have rolls as per OP's original post would just make eveything super smooth and much better

Well, its not really content is it? I see it more as a something that isnt working correctly.

Sorry wasn't being specific to this exact thing really. Just that we can hope for patches to revolve said issue (and content) that may be around the corner to finish things off such as sync'd coasters and photo booths that people keep mentioning.

Sorry wasn't being specific to this exact thing really. Just that we can hope for patches to revolve said issue (and content) that may be around the corner to finish things off such as sync'd coasters and photo booths that people keep mentioning.

Ah, yeah you are right. Maybe it is a placebo but it looks like it is alot easier to make coasters smooth now. [tongue] Maybe they did work on it! [big grin]

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom