Coaster Smoothness

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Politics is definitely not your thing. This response is just sad and childish. I think it's best for me to just ignore you from now on.

We are talking coaster smoothness, and again you change it into knees being visible in a log flume.......
Ah, still not done with this thread then?

I pointed out the log flume because its doing the same thing as coasters, maybe politics isn't your thing, you're clearly having a hard time reading sentences with context.

People are just passionate and wanting the game to appeal to everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Please discuss the topic: Coaster Smoothness, and stop discussing each other, which isn't going to help the game.

Also, please refrain from name calling.

You don't think a better camera would improve how smooth a coaster is? you don't wonder why I pointed out those 4 coasters, or why the "master builders" use the camera thats closer to the track each time they show off a coaster? but yeah... I guess its not a camera thing right?

We went from discussing smoothness of the coasters themselves to the camera? The camera seems to not be relevant when it comes to smoothing as you also can watch the coaster from "birds eye view". A smooth coaster should be smooth either way right, not just when you have a camera "attached" to the coaster train. Otherwise you could "just" make an average (average of the track path itself) camera path based off how the track is moving and all bumps and twists would be gone. You can have a very rough track, but that is OK because the camera averages it out anyway. Looks like ❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎ when you watch it from the side line, but you wouldn't care, because the camera on-board is good and everyone is happy. Right?

The camera going through knees etc. seems to be more of a bug report than belonging in a coaster smoothness thread. Now it just dilutes the thread and derails it further away from the "issue". So do you want smoother coaster tracks or a smooth camera? Seems like you prefer the latter, which should be discussed in a different thread, probably under the Bug report section.

At no point did I say the camera is going through the knee's, I said it looks down/zooms down at the knee's, because much like the log flume (again, mentioning the log flume isn't going off-topic or unrelated, its just that it happens here too) it reads like, a meter or 2 ahead of the coaster train, its not reading where the camera is actually fixated, unsure why its hard to understand that the camera could be one of the main issues... another example of the knee thing is the Eurofighter at the top of a lift hill.

Let's take a little look at whats going on if I look down at the seats.
[video=youtube_share;UMUehvhAtns]https://youtu.be/UMUehvhAtns[/video]

Do you really think that wobbling doesn't effect how smooth coasters are?

Since this is the only thread that still makes it to the front page you could say this is a pretty big issue.

As for the camera, it does have at least some effect on smoothing. As has been pointed out before, on the flying coaster you can use the interest cam, point it to the zero car then rotate it around so it looks like you are looking from the seat cam. This will result in a much smoother experience compared to the bumper cam and especially the riders cam. Apparently there is a camera system in the game that smoothes out its own motion so the unsmooth track is less noticeable. If frontier truly isnt capable of making the banking smooth (which would be strange but you never know) then why not add this camera system to the rest of coaster cames?

Another improvement this camera has over the others is that it seems to follow the track way more closely, despite it smoothing out its own motion. The bumper cam especially seems to pre turn a lot, almost like it is 'predicting' in which direction the track will be going next which combined with the unsmooth track makes the viewing experience even worse.

Anyway, coaster smoothness is mostly about how smooth the PoVs feel, and the cameras certainly affect this, as has been shown by some other people already. So I would argue it is a very valid topic in this discussion.

Anyway, coaster smoothness is mostly about how smooth the PoVs feel, and the cameras certainly affect this, as has been shown by some other people already. So I would argue it is a very valid topic in this discussion.

Well, this gets into the subject of Bolzmann brains and such philosophical things that go back to the ancient Greeks IIRC. We form our opinions of the universe based on our sensory input, but all that could be a lie. And we'd never know the difference. If it is demonstrably the case that different camera options give us different perceptions of coaster smoothness, and we can only perceive coasters through the various camera options, then how are we to know how smooth a track really is? Maybe it's totally smooth but some camera modes are bugged and introduce jerks that aren't really there. Or vice versa.

This being the case, all argument on this subject is pointless. There is no right answer. There might not even be a real problem, it might all just be an artifact of which camera we're using.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, the single Most requested "FIX" Since Alpha , Where are we upto with it Frontier?

It breaks the immersion, as does On Ride Photos , a simple track segment that you can change for like RCT2, Would add so much more to the COASTERS, Of Planet COASTER.

Please Frontier, I bet, dont let THIS be your legacy of this game .

Dont let Planet Coaster be tainted with unrealistic , Unsmooth Coasters, the games beautiful, the effort levels huge, so much more is deserved ......

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, the single Most requested "FIX" Since Alpha , Where are we upto with it Frontier?

It breaks the immersion, as does On Ride Photos , a simple track segment that you can change for like RCT2, Would add so much more to the COASTERS, Of Planet COASTER.

Please Frontier, I bet, dont let THIS be your legacy of this game .

Dont let Planet Coaster be tainted with unrealistic , Unsmooth Coasters, the games beautiful, the effort levels huge, so much more is deserved ......

Would you consider this ride as an immersion breaker?

thumb_f8f96148cda352315f0718b8724f8318_800_600_1.jpg

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Can't you just simulate on-ride photos with triggers and strobes or am I missing something?

Yes, you can, but that is not the subject of this thread.

Coaster smoothness is the subject of this thread. Once again, please keep it on topic. This thread is a hot topic at the moment and it would be wise to keep other subjects out of this thread. You can create new threads about other subjects if you'd like.

Thanks!

Well, this gets into the subject of Bolzmann brains and such philosophical things that go back to the ancient Greeks IIRC. We form our opinions of the universe based on our sensory input, but all that could be a lie. And we'd never know the difference. If it is demonstrably the case that different camera options give us different perceptions of coaster smoothness, and we can only perceive coasters through the various camera options, then how are we to know how smooth a track really is? Maybe it's totally smooth but some camera modes are bugged and introduce jerks that aren't really there. Or vice versa.

This being the case, all argument on this subject is pointless. There is no right answer. There might not even be a real problem, it might all just be an artifact of which camera we're using.

Next time read the entire post you are replying to. Obviously the coaster track itself is unsmooth. You can easily verify this by observing the coaster trains running along the track. The coaster cameras behave in weird ways. The onride PoVs have unnatural motion, and even with smooth coaster track, this can make the PoVs feel unnatural. Yet at the same time, the interest camera allows for a semi smooth PoV despite the track being unsmooth.

Since this is the only thread that still makes it to the front page you could say this is a pretty big issue.

Not sure that conclusion can be made with a 100% certainty. You can also say that it is on the front page because there are a lot of people who doesn't see this as an issue and want Frontier to focus on other areas of the game instead. It is not like you are having 1000s, or even 100s of different people in this thread contributing and wanting smoothness to be improved. It is the same few ones (on both sides) that writes 95% of the posts here. That is very skewed statistics to use for a conclusion on how important an issue is.

As for the camera, it does have at least some effect on smoothing. As has been pointed out before, on the flying coaster you can use the interest cam, point it to the zero car then rotate it around so it looks like you are looking from the seat cam. This will result in a much smoother experience compared to the bumper cam and especially the riders cam. Apparently there is a camera system in the game that smoothes out its own motion so the unsmooth track is less noticeable. If frontier truly isnt capable of making the banking smooth (which would be strange but you never know) then why not add this camera system to the rest of coaster cames?

Another improvement this camera has over the others is that it seems to follow the track way more closely, despite it smoothing out its own motion. The bumper cam especially seems to pre turn a lot, almost like it is 'predicting' in which direction the track will be going next which combined with the unsmooth track makes the viewing experience even worse.

SO it is a track smoothing issue or a camera issue? Since it seems to be mostly (your words, not mine) how smooth the PoVs feel, why haven't this been argued from page 1? Now, maybe, you (you here refers to the group of people who argue for that Frontier should spend all their dev time on making smoother coasters) got the devs to look into the track smoothing instead of looking into PoV camera issue (hypothetically). If you wanted a smoother (averaged out) camera and told them that 2 years ago, maybe a smile patch/fix would have been released already. I don't know, just guessing, but that seems to maybe be a simpler thing to look into than the tracks themselves.

My argument would be that the majority of the players don't care as much as you about PoV etc. They want to buil;d and observe their creations from a distance, get the whole view of the park they built, and at that distance (even if you are fairly close, you would not notice small "jerks", if any, in the tracks. Those people does not share your frustration with this and those people are a many, at least many enough for Frontier not to stop everything they are doing to find a "fix" for this. In the end this is a financial and resource decision along with the master plan for the game itself, what they want to deliver.

Maybe they're trying to figure a way to get $$$ out of it :/

Maybe, maybe not. What if they did? Would you buy it or not? This would also include if they decide that it is not worth putting into the current iteration of the game (not enough short and long term gain for Frontier) and instead put it into Planet Coaster 2 (hypothetically). Would you buy PlanCo 2 or has this issue made you so made that you don't ever want to buy another game from Frontier, thus missing out on potentially great (or bad) future simulation games? Just curious. They are a business after all, not a charity, and every business in the world* strives to make money one way or another.

*this excludes businesses run by government agencies, businesses in communist or dictator rules countries etc.

I am not really sure what you are trying to say. This thread is called 'Coaster Smoothness' Not 'Coaster smoothness only caused by unsmooth track'. Even though it might have started that way, some people did point out that the camera's can also cause weird smoothness issues. And yes, these have been brough to Frontiers attention a very long time ago as well, so it is not suddenly a completely new problem..

Last edited by a moderator:

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
It seems like some users are finding it difficult to keep this thread on topic. I had to remove a personal attack that was arguing whether users had anything to contribute to this thread. That is considered off-topic.

This is the 3rd time in a period of 3 days that I have to ask everyone to keep it on topic. I really do not want to close this thread or issue warnings and infractions, but if this thread continues to go off-topic again, then I will be forced to take action according to the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Please do not let it come that far and keep it on topic. Do not discuss each other!

I'm sure that you all are capable of having a respectful and civilized discussion about the topic of coaster smoothness (which includes anything related to coaster smoothness, including how coaster smoothness is perceived through the in-game cameras such as the on-ride cams).

Thank you very much, cooperation will be greatly appreciated. :)

It seems like some users are finding it difficult to keep this thread on topic. I had to remove a personal attack that was arguing whether users had anything to contribute to this thread. That is considered off-topic.

This is the 3rd time in a period of 3 days that I have to ask everyone to keep it on topic. I really do not want to close this thread or issue warnings and infractions, but if this thread continues to go off-topic again, then I will be forced to take action according to the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Please do not let it come that far and keep it on topic. Do not discuss each other!

I'm sure that you all are capable of having a respectful and civilized discussion about the topic of coaster smoothness (which includes anything related to coaster smoothness, including how coaster smoothness is perceived through the in-game cameras such as the on-ride cams).

Thank you very much, cooperation will be greatly appreciated. :)

If this tread gets closed without a reply from Frontier, it'll cost them MONEY Joel, im one of the biggest Cheerleaders of this game but the silence here is just really not good, to threaten to close it because people are so passionate, not good, please keep that in mind

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
If this tread gets closed without a reply from Frontier, it'll cost them MONEY Joel, im one of the biggest Cheerleaders of this game but the silence here is just really not good, to threaten to close it because people are so passionate, not good, please keep that in mind
I have threatened to close this thread not because people are passionate (I like and encourage passionate people) but because people continually go off-topic. It would be wise to adhere to the Forum Rules and Guidelines. Also, please keep in mind that discussing moderation in public is not allowed. You are welcome to send me a PM if you have questions about moderation.

Let’s leave it at that and stay on topic. :)

Frontier did reply to this thread, and while the reply was posted in 2017 the reply still stands. Reply from 2017 quoted below;

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all your kind feedback regarding coaster smoothness. We are more than aware of this thread and that some of you have issues with this. We are looking into it and if and when there's something we can do or say about it, you will be the first to know!

As for the livestreams, we do our best to tackle issues on both platforms - the livestreams are a great way to talk to you directly in the chat.

Have a lovely day,
[heart]
Bo

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom