Ships Cobra Mk III Owner's Club

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date
no.noo.i cant accept that;python is python.and cobra is cobra!maybe they are same brand,
but different ships.conda is also not a bigger python...nope...mercedes van is not an mercedes amg!

But why would you ever want a 10meters tall Mercedes SL?
The Cobra is good as it is, and the Cobra4, although versatile like nothing else, already messed up the original Flightmodel that much, seriously why?

By the way, IMO the Python is more like a oversized Adder or Viper4, a larger Cobra3 would be more like a iClipper. And I'm happy with the small version.

The Cobra is good as it is

nope.not in endgame.except you can except that you do all the things you want to do 100times smaller;
smaller piratlords,smaller cargo,smaller everything.
then youre fine with it.
i own python,cutter,corvette and to say cobra as the beginner ship it just is can compete to anyone of them and all its fine
would be insane..

I own python,cutter,corvette and to say cobra as the beginner ship it just is can compete to anyone of them and all its fine would be insane..

I never did this, I just said that I’m fine with the Cobra3. Why in the world you need a larger Cobra if you allready have all these alternatives. The Cobra wasn’t, isn’t and shouldn’t ever be an endgame ship, there are other ones. What the Cobra3 actually is, is a small, a bit versatile and fast ship for just having a good time. Nothing more, nothing less.

I too own Pythons, an iCutter, a 'Vette and so on, actually every single ship in the ED universe, but I spent a lot of time with the Cobra3. Just because it’s a funny little ship. Not because I can do something in it I can’t do in another ship, actually, due to the Viper4, it’s one of the most unnecessary ships in ED, but it’s still the Cobra3.

If you want a Cobra5 the go for the iClipper. Trashy shields and HP placements, a bit cargo-capacity and boosts over 600m/s. Exactly what a Cobra5 would be like. Except the exterior.

im realy fine that you are fine with cobra.believe me.
i love the small ship too;its the only small ship i let in my hangar,even it makes no more sense for me ingame,because i got better.
i bought shipkits for vulture,fer de lance,but still own them anymore,because why???in my progression they are just outdatet...
even small little cobra is in my hangar;because it gots such a cool design..and thats the reason why im whining here arround there is no bigger version of that ship avaiable.
if you can live that you practical playing startgame with cobra its okay.i respect that and understand you.
but for me,im still whish there was a better version of it arround;maybe one that can be a alternative on pythonniveau,which is sadly without any alternative in its class,
outpost multipurpose ship...
i wish a bigger cobra would be avaiable instead old python.
and in elites history;why is cobra such a tiny ship??
i old days,my cobra eats python after python after anconda :))
THATS the cobra i want;i want BACK!!!

Last edited:
Hello,

i like my Cobra very much and was looking to find a role for her.
So i used it for landing on Planets, because of good speed and strong Thrusters which also made High Gravity planets possible. But, much to often i got stuck with the SRV under the Cobra :mad:
So i had to use the Dolphin for that role.

Deleted member 110222

D
Hello,

i like my Cobra very much and was looking to find a role for her.
So i used it for landing on Planets, because of good speed and strong Thrusters which also made High Gravity planets possible. But, much to often i got stuck with the SRV under the Cobra :mad:
So i had to use the Dolphin for that role.

The SRV is very much an Achilles Heel.

The Mk III is rather low to the ground. I understand why, given her front leg is an access point.

I’m about to get into a tourney where it’s 1v1s with vanilla Cobra 3s. Thought I’d share pre fight loadout and tests.
https://eddp.co/u/Rrw8LPAn

[video=youtube_share;vZM31yVSjnc]https://youtu.be/vZM31yVSjnc[/video]

Wish me luck.
image.jpg

The fights will be held in a low grav, dark, narrow canyon.

Here are my 4 CM3s.

Wake scanner: https://eddp.co/u/z7uGRDiL

Needs some optimization still, but not bad.

Exploration ship: https://eddp.co/u/5XoZv6Ge

That jump range looks a little on the low side, sure its a bit higher than that.

Search and Rescue/Scavenger: https://eddp.co/u/pW5wZYRJ

Hmmm.... i see, EDDI doesn't update until you switch to a ship i guess. I have dual frags on those medium hardponts now. Explains why the Explorer's jump range might be off, or maybe its just coriolis getting the numbers a bit wrong.

Combat/Bounty Hunter: https://eddp.co/u/suu1TnQZ

I'm not very good with fixed weapons, so this one is a bit of a git gud ship, something to learn how to use fixed weapons in. Definitely a jouster. Rails from a distance (they have superpen mod) and PAs as get close.

I'm not very good with fixed weapons, so this one is a bit of a git gud ship, something to learn how to use fixed weapons in. Definitely a jouster. Rails from a distance (they have superpen mod) and PAs as get close.

This is pretty much what I'm doing with it. I went with 2 long range medium rails. One with Pen mod and other feedback. For those up close talks I went with 2 double shot frags. I'm still not that great and I think I need to switch my shield to thermal because I still need police help to take out FAS & FGS but I'm having a great time with it. I can get in the Cutter where I can wipe out everything and that's fine but I think the small ships are where the fun is at. I bought a Viper III for the same reason. I went all multis for that one and it's a good time too.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii?code=A1pataFalddasaf42a2a21210004B32bm3---.AwRj4yKA.EwRgDBlZLhQ%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA1VRPUvDUBS9TZOYNqQxsV%2BptqJJFRyko04KIri4KMWORXRxKIIo%2FgQHQfAPiLuDm44O4q%2Boi7Oog0PV%2BK7ntqTYNzzu45xzz3n3khojol8Dl39vEznaBJFX0YiihxSRfYSKU2pFSGlcbvTNXHyyiKwuRKypYqLvQ%2BVbnShf%2B2EurLlE4WEJpLSqjJgMmKLPX%2BaB6%2F75G7NbjpnZUMvChS3Vl%2FCesxAwI1VWqhmpZqViU7WTVP7VO%2FQbn8yL0pottSMQolC8J%2FhjhqgfzWj0mMP2B3PwMokmmX%2FM%2FRHmgKSqRFNnmAln1VYSLManyLiDs9lBktDBpIJdNK6uekS64UBz%2Booc9kDTj3jwhc9dgxk2FXOpCTjoIWzV9qEZn4eFo9aHc2ocY04nKMuSaPpmG3hObSZ4oQUTTSZmSlivA4%2Fo2cTGurIxVy0MO12AmathA14d70guuyW7Yxo5f5czWFsLAgAA&bn=Sarah%20VII%20

This is pretty much what I'm doing with it. I went with 2 long range medium rails. One with Pen mod and other feedback. For those up close talks I went with 2 double shot frags. I'm still not that great and I think I need to switch my shield to thermal because I still need police help to take out FAS & FGS but I'm having a great time with it. I can get in the Cutter where I can wipe out everything and that's fine but I think the small ships are where the fun is at. I bought a Viper III for the same reason. I went all multis for that one and it's a good time too.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii?code=A1pataFalddasaf42a2a21210004B32bm3---.AwRj4yKA.EwRgDBlZLhQ%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA1VRPUvDUBS9TZOYNqQxsV%2BptqJJFRyko04KIri4KMWORXRxKIIo%2FgQHQfAPiLuDm44O4q%2Boi7Oog0PV%2BK7ntqTYNzzu45xzz3n3khojol8Dl39vEznaBJFX0YiihxSRfYSKU2pFSGlcbvTNXHyyiKwuRKypYqLvQ%2BVbnShf%2B2EurLlE4WEJpLSqjJgMmKLPX%2BaB6%2F75G7NbjpnZUMvChS3Vl%2FCesxAwI1VWqhmpZqViU7WTVP7VO%2FQbn8yL0pottSMQolC8J%2FhjhqgfzWj0mMP2B3PwMokmmX%2FM%2FRHmgKSqRFNnmAln1VYSLManyLiDs9lBktDBpIJdNK6uekS64UBz%2Booc9kDTj3jwhc9dgxk2FXOpCTjoIWzV9qEZn4eFo9aHc2ocY04nKMuSaPpmG3hObSZ4oQUTTSZmSlivA4%2Fo2cTGurIxVy0MO12AmathA14d70guuyW7Yxo5f5czWFsLAgAA&bn=Sarah%20VII%20

Cool. I gave it a test run, and i'm ok with the PAs, but really struggling with the rails. Plus those rails are not good against small ships at close range, they just fire to either side. But that's ok, not needed against small ships and they are meant to be used at range anyway, and i dogfight with small ships.

Deleted member 110222

D
Cool. I gave it a test run, and i'm ok with the PAs, but really struggling with the rails. Plus those rails are not good against small ships at close range, they just fire to either side. But that's ok, not needed against small ships and they are meant to be used at range anyway, and i dogfight with small ships.

Yeah, I've used rails on the smalls. Fantastic for sniping big birds, but useless against snub fighters.

Deleted member 110222

D
I've just purchased smaller fuel tanks.

Less weight = higher agility. Smallest is just four tonnes. With an FSD consuming 3.3t fuel, it's essential to carry a fuel scoop. Luckily, a C2 scoop is huge in this situation. I'm also getting a D-rated FSD, as that's a significant weight saver, and a 4D is still perfectly servicable, netting a double-digit jump; the bare minimum.

Less weight = higher agility. Smallest is just four tonnes. With an FSD consuming 3.3t fuel, it's essential to carry a fuel scoop. Luckily, a C2 scoop is huge in this situation. I'm also getting a D-rated FSD, as that's a significant weight saver, and a 4D is still perfectly servicable, netting a double-digit jump; the bare minimum.

I thought you were becoming a Viper Iv man ?! couldn't keep away from the cobra eh?

That interesting. Do you have before and after stats for pitch/yaw/roll?

Deleted member 110222

D
The fuel reduction makes a huge difference. We're talking double diget gains in speed, and huge agility improvement.

I've paired it with stock bulkheads, ELP shield, and soon a 4D FSD... Very agile beast. Use with beams & seekers.

The fuel reduction makes a huge difference. We're talking double diget gains in speed, and huge agility improvement.

I've paired it with stock bulkheads, ELP shield, and soon a 4D FSD... Very agile beast. Use with beams & seekers.

Awesome. Will investigate.

I thought it was just (fuel) weight?

ie: Cobra MK3 with 16T tank, but with 2T of fuel in the tanks, gives the same change as just fitting a 2T tank. I just tried this with my MK3, and the speed increase seems about the same as the estimated increase of downsizing the tank (I didn't time pitch sorry).

The only real reason I thought racers downsized tanks, was because it's hard to burn fuel, they might have a poor FSD, so its just easier to start with less fuel-weight?
Ditto smaller tank means your fuel scoop wont "over fill" if you're going for speed, but essentially just scoop less, and the speed will be about the same: then you'll still have a large tank when you need it for travel.

tl;dr tank itself weighs nothing, fuel adds weight / reduces speed.

(as posted in OP's other thread) If you want more speed, try two medium lightweight MCs, 2x small efficient beams, the saving on weapons makes a difference too.
I've done this on my rat-Cobra in the past, you can still PvE while waiting for jobs, but the less weight lets you race to the clients faster

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
I thought it was just (fuel) weight?

ie: Cobra MK3 with 16T tank, but with 2T of fuel in the tanks, gives the same change as just fitting a 2T tank. I just tried this with my MK3, and the speed increase seems about the same as the estimated increase of downsizing the tank (I didn't time pitch sorry).

The only real reason I thought racers downsized tanks, was because it's hard to burn fuel, they might have a poor FSD, so its just easier to start with less fuel-weight?
Ditto smaller tank means your fuel scoop wont "over fill" if you're going for speed, but essentially just scoop less, and the speed will be about the same: then you'll still have a large tank when you need it for travel.

tl;dr tank itself weighs nothing, fuel adds weight / reduces speed.

(as posted in OP's other thread) If you want more speed, try two medium lightweight MCs, 2x small efficient beams, the saving on weapons makes a difference too.
I've done this on my rat-Cobra in the past, you can still PvE while waiting for jobs, but the less weight lets you race to the clients faster

The problem is I want other modifications on the weapons.

Top Bottom