Ships Cobra Mk IV Owners Club

No need for uninhabited systems... I found a Pristine ring 0.97 LS from a particular, unnamed outpost purchasing Vopals at 1.6kkCr per unit... Perfect for my CMKIV mining vessel.. Literally takes 3 minutes to fly back to the small landing pad, meaning the limited 48T cargo is hardly a disadvantage and, slow as it is, the manoeuvrability of the CMKIV is better than any large ship except the Type 7 which while having excellent yaw, perfect for mining, for some inconceivable reason even though it is a LARGE ship that weighs almost as much as an Anaconda, can't field a Seismic Charge, making it utterly worthless for deep core mining.
Wonder if we’re mining at the same one.

I bought a IV to try out the new mining system - it's a great ship for this! Very manoeuvrable, making getting those seismic charges on target pretty easy. Mine's got 40t cargo and a big refinery (which I should probably swap out for a smaller 2-bin unit and reclaim some cargo space, as I'm only interested in Void Opals or Diamonds).

I netted Cr60M last night in about 10 minutes, from just 2 asteroids. Dual abrasion blasters on the rear centre hard points means you can score 2 chunks per deposit!

I found a system with pristine rings and an outpost about 8ls away that's paying top dollar. The only problem is it can't restock your limpets, so I still have to do a roundtrip to another system for that.
You should be able to manage 48T without compromise... 4x16 CARGO, DSS, C1 PROSPECTOR, C3 COLLECTOR, C3 SHIELDS.

Here is my typical Vopal build.

https://inara.cz/cmdr-fleet/89812/373105/

Last edited:
Wonder if we’re mining at the same one.
I've got my 1kkkCr and decided to call it quits before it gets annoying.

I was at HIP 13653 with a 1.6MCr a single jump away.

Limiting yourself to playing in small ships (plus the Keelback) really brings a new dimension to the game... But I don't think I could have done it without the medium ship in a small ship body, Cobra MK IV.

Last edited:
I've got my 1kkkCr and decided to call it quits before it gets annoying.

I was at HIP 13653 with a 1.6MCr a single jump away.

Limiting yourself to playing in small ships (plus the Keelback) realign brings a new dimension to the game... But I don't think I could have done it without the medium ship in a small ship body, Cobra MK IV.
The cobra 4 was practically made for the job. Mine had been a small time miner from the offset, but now it’s my main prospector. I set it up for bubble travel with the ability to fully mine a single core. If I am feeling greedy and want more (or more likely just a change) I bring my Phantom, but really at twenty something opals per core, the profits are just fine for me as Set up. It’s my favourite gameplay currently. I prefer it to combat and bgs is a little bugged so I’m holding off. Only pending to do is gather more materials... I just wish it could be done through mining (realistically because src is just faster at that).

Perhaps FD need to add another DC roid type that contains large quantities of high level surface mats, DC mining is way more absorbing than SRV mat hunting.

I have absolutely no idea what either of you just said, but it sounds really clever.

Does my bum look big in this MKIV?
Hard to tell from 20 LY TBH ;)

When you prospect a roid the bottom left panel displays the ores it contains, the mat content (low, medium or high) and the core type, currently AFAIK mats are only released by conventional mining (laser) and would be collected by limpets.

Great suggestion from Ozram!, essentially use the sub-surface displacement missile to release large quantities of mats instead of ores as currently it's a waste of a hard point (although it's fun to use) compared to massive profits with DC mining.

Last edited:
Anyone else spotted that the chair instrumentation in the IV got the common orange/blue colouration now, instead of the greyish-white? When and why did they do that?

Not going to happened until more commanders fly the Cobra MkIV.
...If only Frontier were to release the ship to be bought by any commander who joined the Elite community in the last three years...
True, as the older players drop numbers due to attrition the less the mkiv will be available. I think they will have to release it to the general player base or risk it completely disappearing outside of NPC us usage.

Top Bottom