Ships Cobra Mk IV Owners Club

So the Mk IV gets a rough deal with countless threads about how terrible it is.

Now here's the thing. I actually agree with a lot of the criticisms. But there's a part of my soul, probably the very Scottish part, that loves the underdog. And I LOVE my Cobra Mk IV. I love this wonderfully flawed ship. So much so, that I've foregone my usual Asp for exploration, fitted my Cobra Mk IV the NGS Tennyson for exploration (we have 18 LYs) and headed off (very slowly) into the unknown.

This isn't a thread for criticisms of the Mk IV (we have plenty of those), but a place for fellow owners to share what they're doing with this marvellous vessel.

cobra mk 4.jpg

I've been using mine to scout trade routes for my bigger ships. I enjoy flying it very much. Might try some missions in it as well.

Well, i bought one just to see what all the fuzz is about. It turned out i liked it.
It is a good multipurpose ship with plenty of internals. While the Cobra MK III is the better interceptor, the MK IV is better at hauling and fighting. I use 3x Small Gimbaled Beams and 2x Medium MCs. Works like a charm. And the Weapon convergence is so good that u can hit even with fixed weapons very nicely.

Bought one at Hel last night as I'm done with the BH CG there, kitted it out for exploring/prospecting in the bubble. Only problem is that the outfitting doesn't have Class 2 Mining Lasers so will have to pick them up from somewhere else.

Because of the way I've set it up it only has a 16t cargo cap for now but when I've found my pristine metallic spot I'll change the loadout to a 32t miner.

It's the only viable small mining ship as far as I can tell. I tried it out in Horizons Beta for planetary landings and it was great at those so I've got high hopes for it as a miner.

It's a great planetary lander and a decent combat ship, good cargo ship, good miner........... it has a lot of virtues, I think the big issue is that of expectations a mk4 should be fast(er?) than a mk3 and a lot of players can get past the speed issue and miss all the positives.

Currently using mine in the salvage CG, I'd intended using my Asp or Python but the mk4 is working out really well :)

I'm really pleased this thread has been started. Cobra MkIV DESERVES some love.
Still a mega fan of the MKIII but the IV is different and to be honest it's a bit special.

Last edited:
Sign me up. I've flown a Cobra Mk.IV since Horizons (give or take a cleared save, first for the challenge then due to pilot error :eek:) and it's grown on me like a weed. As the OP says, it's not a perfect ship and some of the criticisms levelled at it are very valid (the speed...dear lord the speed X.x;; ), but dang if it doesn't have looks and charm to go with its versatility.

I've got mine set up as a multirole SRV gunboat. It's worse than the Mk.III in most every regard bar endurance (nice big fuel scoop and HRP's), but not so much that I really mind. In a fight the two versions couldn't be further apart either - like the proverbial honey badger the Mk.IV just keeps on biting and clawing and muscling on through no matter what gets thrown at it, and it won't back down until either me or the attackers are dead. Not that I have an option - it's too slow to run away! :p

Many ships have come and gone since I started ED, but the Mk.IV is the first I've ever wanted to A-rate and keep for posterity. Wherever I need to go, whatever I need to do, I know it'll get me there eventually - scarred and battered and with the wrecks of my enemies wedged in the prow. ^_^

Last edited:
Sign me up. I've flown a Cobra Mk.IV since Horizons (give or take a cleared save, first for the challenge then due to pilot error :eek:) and it's grown on me like a weed. As the OP says, it's not a perfect ship and some of the criticisms levelled at it are very valid (the speed...dear lord the speed X.x;; ), but dang if it doesn't have looks and charm to go with its versatility.

I've got mine set up as a multirole SRV gunboat. It's worse than the Mk.III in most every regard bar endurance (nice big fuel scoop and HRP's), but not so much that I really mind. In a fight the two versions couldn't be further apart either - like the proverbial honey badger the Mk.IV just keeps on biting and clawing and muscling on through no matter what gets thrown at it, and it won't back down until either me or the attackers are dead. Not that I have an option - it's too slow to run away! :p

Many ships have come and gone since I started ED, but the Mk.IV is the first I've ever wanted to A-rate and keep for posterity. Wherever I need to go, whatever I need to do, I know it'll get me there eventually - scarred and battered and with the wrecks of my enemies wedged in the prow. ^_^

You've summed up what I think every proud (and possibly mad) CM4 owner feels. We love our ship not despite its flaws, but because of them.

I have a feeling that its purpose is not revealed yet... but its just a feeling.
I have not brought one in the new season. Truth be told: I'm still trying to find the 'free one', but little hope of that. I tried one in the beta and was content with what it is. Just a mature; fatter Cobra, with all that entails. When I get one, I'll A-spec it and use it to train for flying the Python; as it seams to be a scaled down version of a Python.

Deleted member 110222

D
Can I claim the title of "Cobra Mk IV's #1 fan"?

I LOVE THIS SHIP. <3

I have mine kitted out for trading, mining AND planetary landing all at once. I'd happily strip her down (giggity) for exploring, and with a bit of practice she's a decent bounty hunter, if a bit slow.

She's no warship, and that I don't mind. I'm a pretty chilled pilot and I like space-truckin' a lot. I also love small ships. I find medium & large flight models to be, well, boring. So when I heard about the Cobra IV, I just had to have it. When I saw the internals when they added it to Coriolis, I was ecstatic. My dream ship had arrived! The first thing I did on Horizons launch was buy her. Lucky for me, she was sold at my "home" station, with all the parts I need for her. (My home system is one of the best for small ship outfitting, maybe the best. I'll let you work out where it is. :D)

I loved the Mk III. But this ship... Gosh she's amazing. I'll buy a Mk III again when I can, but only because I LOVE the Cobra series.

10/10 FD, you did awesome with this ship. :)

After reading this I am going to make a miner build MkIV.
Never considered it as a good miner but after reading this you are bang on correct.
11Mil for a quality mining vessel is bang on the money. Doing this.
In fact the more you look at this lovely little ship the more you realise it's made for mining.
Let the haters keep comparing her to the lighter nimbler MKIII. They are two completely different ships. Comparison pointless.

Last edited:
I have tried and tried to love this ship but just can't. Maybe if it had a larger power distributor, and pitched just a little bit faster but I just can't love it. I'll probably use it for a landing ship and fly it like I stole it because I don't care if I dent it up.

Top Bottom