Cobra Mk IV

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Greetings Commanders,

We've had a number of you asking and we're glad to be able to confirm that the Cobra Mk IV will be available to Xbox One Commanders who purchase Horizons. This is a limited time offer, as with the PC release.

Xbox One Commanders who purchase Horizons season pass before the 30th July will receive the Cobra Mk IV in game. (Commanders will need to purchase the Cobra Mk IV with in game credits)

Horizons is now available in the Xbox Store and includes all the Planetary Landings and The Engineers content as well as future Horizons content!

Fly safe Commanders.

I'm heading to a station to get one now!!! Thanks again for the deluxe edition code, Zac! Many, many thanks!!! :D

Glad to see the XBoxers having the same opportunity! Enjoy this marvellous vessel. You can also join the Cobra Mk IV Owners Club.

Sad to see they repeat the ship exclusivity deal. This is the type of stuff why marketing has such a bad reputation. Sure, it encourages extra sales from people who may be on the fence and now buy just to be sure they don't miss out on the exclusive stuff. But I find it highly immoral to basically pressure people into "buy now or get it never" deals, especially for digital products where there is no physically limited quantity at work. :(

Sad to see they repeat the ship exclusivity deal. This is the type of stuff why marketing has such a bad reputation. Sure, it encourages extra sales from people who may be on the fence and now buy just to be sure they don't miss out on the exclusive stuff. But I find it highly immoral to basically pressure people into "buy now or get it never" deals, especially for digital products where there is no physically limited quantity at work. :(

For me as long as a) it's not game-breaking and a balanced ship b) They /don't/ repeat it. Marketing has to market and I think considering there's no pay-to-win, there's no credits for money, there's no subscription, we should let marketing use other methods to boost sales.

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier

This specifically is much more about the Xbox Commanders having the same opportunity as PC players had.

This specifically is much more about the Commanders having the same opportunity as PC players had.

You mean the same limitation. I understand this is not your decision so I am trying not to shoot the messenger, and while it is great (but not unexpected) to hear that XB1 player will also be able to get a MK IV, the tactic is still the same, and still as immoral. Imagine if a game like WoW would lock an entire character class behind buying a specific expansion before a deadline. The backlash would be enormous. But somehow doing the same to a ship in ED (let's face it: a ship is the closest equivalent to a character class) is fine?

The only reason there hasn't been a bigger outcry about this is that the MK IV is not an unmitigated upgrade, and is technically superceded by the Python anyway (unlike the MK III, which remains extremely useful due to its speed). If the MKIV were a top tier ship, the threads would alternate between "nerf MK IV", "MK IV = P2W" and "Bought Horizons last week. Why u not let me buy MK IV?"

Last but not least: why is it game developers/publishers only ever live in the now and never think of people who buy their game in 5 years, only to find themselves presented with a list of stuff that they can never get because they arrived too late to the scene. Before anyone says "their fault for not coming earlier" - in 5 years that game may be the birthday present for the then - 12 year old who was only 7 in 2016 and had no chance whatsoever to know about this scheme and buy into it in order to not miss out on a game they may be interested when they are a bit older.

(Wow, I think this is the first time ever, like really ever, I made a "think of the children" argument, without initially intending to. :D)

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: NMS
My experience of this sort of exclusive deal is that it will eventually get a general release. Us horizon buyers are just getting it early, probably 6 months or so.

You mean the same limitation. I understand this is not your decision so I am trying not to shoot the messenger, and while it is great (but not unexpected) to hear that XB1 player will also be able to get a MK IV, the tactic is still the same, and still as immoral. Imagine if a game like WoW would lock an entire character class behind buying a specific expansion before a deadline. The backlash would be enormous. But somehow doing the same to a ship in ED (let's face it: a ship is the closest equivalent to a character class) is fine?

The only reason there hasn't been a bigger outcry about this is that the MK IV is not an unmitigated upgrade, and is technically superceded by the Python anyway (unlike the MK III, which remains extremely useful due to its speed). If the MKIV were a top tier ship, the threads would alternate between "nerf MK IV", "MK IV = P2W" and "Bought Horizons last week. Why u not let me buy MK IV?"

Last but not least: why is it game developers/publishers only ever live in the now and never think of people who buy their game in 5 years, only to find themselves presented with a list of stuff that they can never get because they arrived too late to the scene. Before anyone says "their fault for not coming earlier" - in 5 years that game may be the birthday present for the then - 12 year old who was only 7 in 2016 and had no chance whatsoever to know about this scheme and buy into it in order to not miss out on a game they may be interested when they are a bit older.

(Wow, I think this is the first time ever, like really ever, I made a "think of the children" argument, without initially intending to. :D)

Thank you an excellent statement, I think the chaos created by the latest update prove FD do not plan for future game players

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
My experience of this sort of exclusive deal is that it will eventually get a general release. Us horizon buyers are just getting it early, probably 6 months or so.

Hasn't happened for PC players in the near six-months since the launch of Horizons.

I'll address this part of your statement. Game developers/publishers live in the now because common sense tells them that their game has the most sales potential around the time of initial release and just after. Sales of a game 5 years after it's initial release are almost non-existent and therefore the point is moot. Using your kid example, you're saying that if that kid gets ED for his birthday in 5 years, he's then going to stop and cry about the tiny amount (relative to the rest of the content) of exclusive stuff he missed 5 years ago? Of course he isn't. It's completely irreverent because the kid wasn't even playing it then. Exclusive content only matters to people already playing the game people who are just about to buy it. Not someone who might get it in 5 years...

Last edited:
<Stuff about exclusives>

I find that limited time offers are a lot more palatable if they're clearly seen to be variants on what's already generally available.

-----BEGIN BORING ANECDOTE-----
The first game I came across with preorder exclusives was Star Wars Galaxies. In that game you could play as a Tailor who could create outfits for other players to wear. I visited one such Tailor who was wearing a cool set of goggles. "Could you make me goggles like those?" I asked him, and his reply was no because they were a preorder exclusive and uncraftable.

He could make dozens of shirts, jackets or trousers in a myriad of different colours. He could make boots and shoes. He even had a small line of hats. Just not those cool goggles. In fact he couldn't make any kind of eyewear. In a game explicitly designed for player dependency, a functioning economy and the ability to craft and trade 99% of the items in the game, the only eyewear ever made available in the game was exclusive and uncraftable.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the preorder exclusive had been, say, a jacket. He couldn't have made me that jacket but he could have made me a similar one from the many templates available. The exclusive would have been a nice-to-have for him, making him stand out from the crowd, without making people like me jealous that they could not only never have that same item but could never have any similar item at all.

I'm afraid to say that I learned what is arguably the wrong lesson from that affair. Ever since I have thrown significant amounts of good money at bad games so that if I ended up liking the game I would have the cool exclusives. Right up until this game, of course, when I bought Premium Beta instead of Alpha because I didn't realise the Alpha came with those cool decals and cheaper insurance.
-----BEGIN END ANECDOTE-----

In Elite we have by way of example the Black Friday paintjob which was only available for a limited time. It's too late for new players to get that paintjob. However, for many ships they can have the graphite paintjob. Some ships also have the chrome paintjob.

You can't have that black paintjob but you can have a black paintjob. As a result you're more likely to be philosophical and say "too bad I missed out on the Black Friday paintjob" than "this sucks I want a black ship and I can't have it."

For the last six months people probably wouldn't have minded so much about the Cobra Mk IV. It's slower than the Mk III and less capacious than, say, a Python. Now with the Engineers patch the Mk IV is starting to look almost attractive with enough slots for a fuel scoop, shield, collector limpet controller, vehicle bay, cargo racks and scanners.

Building an entire ship is a lot of work for the developers to undertake for only a limited set of players to see. I'd rather they made the Cobra Mk IV available to everyone with we lucky players getting a rear spoiler or a specific paintjob. Something to make us stand out from the proles without limiting the whole ship to us.

Conversely, should there be absolutely zero benefit to those who are supporting the product from the get go, spending significantly more than the Johnny-Come-Latelys who will probably get the game at a knockdown price? Its the early adopters who, after all, keep things afloat. I'm playing devils advocate here btw, I totally understand the frustration with incentivization. However, this is in no way limited to gaming, its a very rife practise anywhere things are sold. And where the 'incentive' in question is a decidedly average ship (sorry Alicorn plz no hate meh) in a tier that is very quickly passed by newer players, I dont see the big whoop to be honest.

As I said, I am not without sympathy to your side, so please keep any retorts/rebuttals polite. Its an interesting subject to me :)

Will the Mk IV always be available for purchase for those of us who buy Horizons early, or will it become unavailable after the 30th July.

In other words, if we want to have a Mk IV, do we need to buy it now and keep it hangered?

Top Bottom