Cockpit Legs Campaign

Simply put, Frontier please let us walk around in our cockpits when Odyssey launches, or soon after.

Cockpits are already there, Odyssey is bringing legs, so put the two together for an easy win, relatively speaking.

Whether this would be implemented in the eventual lead up to having fleshed out ship interiors, or in lieu of that feature if it’s not going to happen anyway, it’d be a “nice to have” in the interim, or a “better than nothing”, respectively.

Don’t care about walking around the cockpit with no new game mechanic added? Do you think it’s a novelty that will wear off quickly? That’s fine. To each their own, and it’d be no change to your gameplay.

For myself and others, and I would say there’s a good number of us, it would be a much appreciated low effort feature that would add to immersion and enhance role playing. I can see content creators and in-game photographers making use of this as well.

Add your voice if this is something you’d like to see implemented, and maybe an influencer may give it a mention - TheYamiks at least believes that ship interiors should be a thing, so possibly.

Link to this idea in the Suggestions forum.

Last edited:
Also float around with walk assist off.

Actually, decent floating, spinning, holding, and pushing off of animations with apt controls would be very cool. I'm not sure if that's been done well in a game before.

But anyway, yeah, fleshed out and explorable ship interiors would be nice.

Last edited:
Don’t care about walking around the cockpit with no new game mechanic added? Do you think it’s a novelty that will wear off quickly? That’s fine. To each their own, and it’d be no change to your gameplay.

For myself and others, and I would say there’s a good number of us, it would be a much appreciated low effort feature ....
A low effort feature, you say? Why not do it, even without gameplay, it's a 5 minute job.

But it won't be.

There's no artificial gravity for one thing. So doing the SC thing of getting out your seat in deep space to gaze lovingly at your toilet won't happen, you'd be floating. What they could do is just allow walking to the door/lift when landed on a planet/station in gravity.

But I'd rather they designed the game than us.

Also - people are already getting shirty about the alpha not being out 2 days after they returned to work. I'm not sure starting a "campaign" to (let's face it) demand cockpit interiors is a great idea if you want the game to come out in a timely fashion.

With the caveat that they may actually have already done it and aren't telling us. Which would be nice. But demanding x or y at this point is silly, imo.

And invoking The Yamiks at fdev as some sort of encouragement .... hahahaha

A low effort feature, you say? Why not do it, even without gameplay, it's a 5 minute job.

But it won't be.

There's no artificial gravity for one thing. So doing the SC thing of getting out your seat in deep space to gaze lovingly at your toilet won't happen, you'd be floating. What they could do is just allow walking to the door/lift when landed on a planet/station in gravity.

But I'd rather they designed the game than us.

They’d use magnetic boots or some other tech. They’ve been taking about ship interior gameplay such as hostile boarding for a while, so it’s not going to be the deal breaker here, if indeed there is one. So there won’t be a requirement for developing Zero G movement for this feature.

Also - people are already getting shirty about the alpha not being out 2 days after they returned to work. I'm not sure starting a "campaign" to (let's face it) demand cockpit interiors is a great idea if you want the game to come out in a timely fashion.

With the caveat that they may actually have already done it and aren't telling us. Which would be nice. But demanding x or y at this point is silly, imo.

😂 Lol, less at FDev, and more to get a mention so more people are aware of the request and can support it if they want.

But as I said, it could be done soon (or soonish) after launch, so it doesn’t have to delay Odyssey as it is.

Simply put, Frontier please let us walk around in our cockpits when Odyssey launches, or soon after.

Cockpits are already there, Odyssey is bringing legs, so put the two together for an easy win, relatively speaking.

Whether this would be implemented in the eventual lead up to having fleshed out ship interiors, or in lieu of that feature if it’s not going to happen anyway, it’d be a “nice to have” in the interim, or a “better than nothing”, respectively.

For myself and others, and I would say there’s a good number of us, it would be a much appreciated low effort feature that would add to immersion and enhance role playing. I can see content creators and in-game photographers making use of this as well.

Add your voice if this is something you’d like to see implemented, and maybe an influencer may give it a mention - TheYamiks at least believes that ship interiors should be a thing, so possibly.
I agree. I want interiors and I would like the bigger ships to have actuall escape pods that you can use in case of emergency. I just thinks that it really ads somethign quite cool if your ship is blowing up and you have to make your way to the escape pods or something like that.

Last edited:

I can for sure wait if it means that we get Interiors.

😂 Lol, less at FDev, and more to get a mention so more people are aware of the request and can support it if they want.

But as I said, it could be done soon (or soonish) after launch, so it doesn’t have to delay Odyssey as it is.
I'd be very happy if they did to be honest, I'm just not sure it's ever as simple as it seems. We know they had problems with tasking people to fix bugs due to the focus on EDO, we're not going to get something additional at this stage in the process even if we ask incredibly nicely :) or, conversely, by asking incredibly Yamiksly :sneaky:

I'd be very happy if they did to be honest, I'm just not sure it's ever as simple as it seems. We know they had problems with tasking people to fix bugs due to the focus on EDO, we're not going to get something additional at this stage in the process even if we ask incredibly nicely :) or, conversely, by asking incredibly Yamiksly :sneaky:

There is definitely going to be more to it than meets the eye in terms of development, and often times even those working on the code don’t see all obstacles or requirements before developing a feature. While not a game developer myself, I am a software developer, and can appreciate that even seemingly straightforward tasks still have their complications.

But even given that, with the assets already in the game, and walking mechanics already developed, it’s still a relatively low effort item comparatively speaking, and quite doable in a reasonable amount of time.

Ship interiors would be nice, but let's not encourage another half-baked effort from FDev that eventually gets abandoned because not enough Commanders are using it. I'd rather they did it properly and we had to wait for a while than a having a "better nothing effort" now.

I agree in principle, but I don’t think letting us have cockpit legs with or soon after Odyssey is going to reduce the chances of a proper ship interiors implementation. The way I see it, if they have actual intentions of making ship interiors a thing, then cockpit legs now won’t dissuade them from that.

If anything, players getting a taste of ship interiors through walking around their cockpits will only increase calls for a full ship interiors feature, and keep the idea more front and centre. If they weren’t going to develop the feature anyway, that probably won’t make a difference, but if they’re seriously considering it, or have it further down the roadmap, this may swing the vote or bring it closer. Or more likely just do nothing.

How long can our ships hover above a 1G airless world? Well, there's your "magic" gravity right there – apply the same thrust in space and get the same effect. Presumably we'd still get the same artificial speed limits, so no worries about high speeds from continuous acceleration. But yeah, I guess dynamic PWM EM boots and surfaces might work well enough too, other than your hairdo potentially getting messed up. 🤷‍♂️

I agree in principle, but I don’t think letting us have cockpit legs with or soon after Odyssey is going to reduce the chances of a proper ship interiors implementation. The way I see it, if they have actual intentions of making ship interiors a thing, then cockpit legs now won’t dissuade them from that.

If anything, players getting a taste of ship interiors through walking around their cockpits will only increase calls for a full ship interiors feature, and keep the idea more front and centre. If they weren’t going to develop the feature anyway, that probably won’t make a difference, but if they’re seriously considering it, or have it further down the roadmap, this may swing the vote or bring it closer. Or more likely just do nothing.
Well, you could probably make the same argument about multicrew and look what happened to that. Plus it's like no one learns from games like Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout, etc. Be patient and stop demanding everything now. And don't forget that such demands potentially encourage crunch conditions for the developers, which is not good for anyone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom