Cockpit Legs Campaign

Well, you could probably make the same argument about multicrew and look what happened to that. Plus it's like no one learns from games like Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout, etc. Be patient and stop demanding everything now. And don't forget that such demands potentially encourage crunch conditions for the developers, which is not good for anyone.

The request is for at or soon after Odyssey launch, but it’s not time critical, and not intended as a demand. If they agree to slot it in for development some time after Odyssey is stable and settled, that’d be fine too.

But I don’t think Multicrew is really comparable to this situation, as this isn’t a request for ship interiors, and there’s no setting of any standard in this for that hoped for feature. The message isn’t “this would be a great way to do the rest of it”, it’s more, “can we please have this small part of it in the interim”.

I agree with this. We don't need fully fleshed out interiors, but the ability to walk around the existing cockpit would help with immersion. No floating mechanics needed if MagBoots are always turned on. To leave the ship, walk to the back door, click a button, and fade to black.

To be clear, I'd love to walk around the cockpit, but am completely against adding more reasons to delay getting the expansion out the door. If the solution is "We can do it, but it will add 2 months to development", I'd be against it.

Like many, I would love to be able to walk around my ships, even if it were just the cockpit. Though it's difficult to imagine FD spending a development cycle on pure cosmetics, I selfishly 100% support the good idea.

Like many others, I am a software engineer and know that nothing is as easy as it seems to people who don't write software for a living. If I had a nickel for every time a client (or family member) wanted me to build them a mobile app or website and showed me an example of what they wanted, with the phrase "just something simple, like this..." I would be a rich man. The regression testing alone for an application of EDs complexity would be a big effort. As others have pointed out, without seeing and understanding the code base, it's literally impossible to know or guess what's easy and what's hard. I do NOT support the assumption that this is trivial.

Like seemingly-not-enough others, with all due respect, I absolutely cannot stand the sense of entitlement inherent in making "demands" of game companies. Game companies do what they do and we either buy what they're selling or we don't. They don't OWE us anything else. The notion that a faceless post on a public forum is going to generate anything other than laughs (at best) or disdain (more likely) from a developer is ridiculous. Same for animated gifs espousing some point of view with the hope the developer pays the least bit of attention to it (they don't). I LOATHE the plan of action.

My comments aren't meant to attack any individuals personally, they truly are not. I'm just a tired, old curmudgeon.

I'm 100% with the OP on this!

Having a connection to the ship - a sense of scale and belonging - is a key (if not the key) element of Elite. I have felt that this was a missing feature ever since ED came out.
I was immensely disapointed, when the Odyssee infos on "space legs" came out and any kind of ship interior/movement was discarded in a mere sidenote.

And I disagree with CMDR Scadh. Ship intererior/ beeing able to move inside the ship is not mere cosmetics!

Knowing that no whining on this forum will ever be heard by FDEV (we are talking to ourselves here), I would still support any reasonable kind of means of getting a connection between ship and first person view.
Stuff like getting up in the respective ships cockpit and then getting a sequence like leaving/boarding with the SRV.
They could also introduce a generic airlock module inside all ships which also features storage etc. for personal equipment and weapons. People would board/ leave the ships through said airlock, giving you the feeling of beeing inside the ship/ beeing able to do something usefull inside.

Best regards
Thelamon

PS
Keeping my fingers crossed for Odyssee 4.0... (Would pay full premium title price for Elite with ship interiors. Hey and FDEV - you could sell infinite amounts of accesoires for the crew quarters through your store. Onionhead Paintings, Oninonhead Pets, etc. )

And I disagree with CMDR Scadh.

Lol you certainly aren't the first, nor will you be the last! :)

Look, I get it, I really do. I want it too. Ships are the star of this game. Everything else is auxiliary. I think FD does a terrible job showcasing the ships. The absurdly ugly monochrome orange UI in the Shipyard does a particular disservice to the ships. I wish we could see them in their full glory, exactly how they are rendered in-hangar at the game title screen or in free camera. So despite my frustration in my earlier post, you really are preaching to the choir. It's not the desire I dislike, it's the presumption that it's easy. And, especially, how whiny and entitled people make themselves look by posting rants on public forums. Like the spoiled brat kid in the toys section at Target who screams and stomps his feet until he's red in the face because his mom won't buy him a new Talking Elmo.

Not saying you or anyone is that kid. I don't know anybody here and am certainly not entitled to judge others. Just comes across poorly to me is all. Like I said: I'm an old curmudgeon. :)

I think I would like to see what is in the Odyssey alpha before pitching in with a yes, might be something I consider more important missing form Odyssey.

Not sure I care about ship interiors to be honest. My mate keeps getting big ships in SC and showing me around. Reminds of your friends holiday snaps back when photographs were a thing.

Simon

Cockpit Legs Campaign
R6EpXc2.gif

While I think most would agree ship interiors would be nice to have, I doubt many are signing up for "we NEED them". I'd definitely take a walk around all of my ships a time or two if possible, but after seeing it once then what? If we were forced to walk from cockpit to airlock/stairs every time we landed and wanted to go to planet surface, it would be no time at all before just as many people would be whining, "Can't we just get a shortcut key so I'm immediately on the surface?! That should be EASY to code. I DEMAND it!".

Last edited:
Lol you certainly aren't the first, nor will you be the last! :)

Look, I get it, I really do. I want it too. Ships are the star of this game. Everything else is auxiliary. I think FD does a terrible job showcasing the ships. The absurdly ugly monochrome orange UI in the Shipyard does a particular disservice to the ships. I wish we could see them in their full glory, exactly how they are rendered in-hangar at the game title screen or in free camera. So despite my frustration in my earlier post, you really are preaching to the choir. It's not the desire I dislike, it's the presumption that it's easy. And, especially, how whiny and entitled people make themselves look by posting rants on public forums. Like the spoiled brat kid in the toys section at Target who screams and stomps his feet until he's red in the face because his mom won't buy him a new Talking Elmo.

Not saying you or anyone is that kid. I don't know anybody here and am certainly not entitled to judge others. Just comes across poorly to me is all. Like I said: I'm an old curmudgeon. :)
You got me wrong here.
The OP was accepting that there will be no ship interiors in Odysse - so do I. He was asking for some kind of low level "crutch" that patches the gap between pilotseat and walking on a planet. I second that.
Anything that connects the current game with Odyssee content would be welcome. All that was shown so far, basically showcases a "stand alone FPS" set in the ELITE Universe. The Ships would normaly be the connection - but their role remains unclear so far.

And we all understand FDEV have decided on "no ship interiors" in Odyssee and that it won't be considered anytime soon.
The only point I wanted to make, was that this was not a trivial decision on some minor fluff.

Best Thelamon

PS
You are 100% spot on concerning Shipyard, clunky outfitting UI, or the limted ability to admire your ship in hangar etc., but tat is another subject ;)

Top Bottom