Cockpit Legs Campaign

What's the point of this campaign?

We already know that ship legs isn't coming with Odyssey's initial release. It's not like they could just squeeze it in now, a few months from launch where they'll be busy actually finishing whatever it's actually coming, so what's the point of asking for ship legs at this time?

FD repeatedly said along the years that we would be able to walk and perform activities inside ships, our own and others, at some point. So, just like planet legs and atmospheric planets, it's just a matter of time and patience. But asking for it now is just futile IMO.

FD repeatedly said along the years that we would be able to walk and perform activities inside ships, our own and others, at some point. So, just like planet legs and atmospheric planets, it's just a matter of time and patience. But asking for it now is just futile IMO.
Will I also be able to hunt dinosaurs?

Sorry, not signing this petition! There's many many many other things I want Frontier to spend time on and get right before they do ship interiors!

Since this thread has already descended into chaos and this sort of stuff fascinates me, here's one other interesting bit of trivia. An Imperial Cutter is over 70% as long and over 60% as tall as RMS Titanic, and 200% its hull width (400% at the wingtips). That's a really, really big ship. I don't own a Cutter so I'm unsure where the exit is, but what if it took 5 or 10 minutes to walk from cockpit to exit? How aggravating would it be if there were no way to avoid that walk every time? :)

And a Beluga's even bigger. More or less 80% the length and height, but MUCH wider, than Titanic. (If you inexplicably mine in a Beluga, avoid icy rings...)

Last edited:
Since this thread has already descended into chaos and this sort of stuff fascinates me, here's one other interesting bit of trivia. An Imperial Cutter is over 70% as long and over 60% as tall as RMS Titanic, and 200% its hull width (400% at the wingtips). That's a really, really big ship. I don't own a Cutter so I'm unsure where the exit is, but what if it took 5 or 10 minutes to walk from cockpit to exit? How aggravating would it be if there were no way to avoid that walk every time? :)

And a Beluga's even bigger. More or less 80% the length and height, but MUCH wider, than Titanic. (If you inexplicably mine in a Beluga, avoid icy rings...)
And then you start to get in to the whole 'hire a crew' thing that backers of cough another space game inexplicably believe will somehow happen in the future. I mean the captain can't be expected to jump in a lift and leg it down to engineering to reverse the polarity on the warp coil :sneaky: or mop the poop deck. (sorry)

Think of the gameplay!

If you put a fit dude on the deck of the Titanic and ask him to run from bow to stern, you'll find that he'll take a bit over 30 seconds, not 10 minutes. :)

The answer to your question is simple: it would take a quite short amount of time to get out of even the largest ships.

And why, might you ask? Because in pretty much any game where your character can walk, it can also run and sprint. On top of that, game movement speeds are usually quite faster than real walking / running speeds, and even some real humans can already run 100 meters in 10 seconds, so expect it to be even faster in a game.

Aditionally, none of the ships has the exit door really that far away from the cockpit area, making the required distance to walk / sprint much shorter than it might seem. Granted the largest ships might have multiple decks, but surely there will also be lifts and stairwells. Beluga might be the only exception where the exit door might be far from the cockpit (don't really know where the exit door is), but even that will be peanuts in "game running" speeds, expect something like 20 / 25 seconds tops and this is the worst possible scenario.

If you put a fit dude on the deck of the Titanic and ask him to run from bow to stern, you'll find that he'll take a bit over 30 seconds, not 10 minutes. :)

The answer to your question is simple: it would take a quite short amount of time to get out of even the largest ships.

And why, might you ask? Because in pretty much any game where your character can walk, it can also run and sprint. On top of that, game movement speeds are usually quite faster than real walking / running speeds, and even some real humans can already run 100 meters in 10 seconds, so expect it to be even faster in a game.

Aditionally, none of the ships has the exit door really that far away from the cockpit area, making the required distance to walk / sprint much shorter than it might seem. Granted the largest ships might have multiple decks, but surely there will also be lifts and stairwells. Beluga might be the only exception where the exit door might be far from the cockpit (don't really know where the exit door is), but even that will be peanuts in "game running" speeds, expect something like 20 / 25 seconds tops and this is the worst possible scenario.

Umm, friend, have you seen my physique these days?! It's a 12 minute walk to exit the AspX for me. I require large ships to have room to store food. :)

Also, I was mostly just being silly. Obviously, no game would require a 5 minute walk, we all understand that. Just found it a fun exercise (the only exercise I'm getting * rimshot *) working the numbers up comparing ED ships to Titanic.

Deleted member 110222

D
There's literally a post in the news section explaining what is happening with such things.

This thread is pointless.

We already have our answer. That does not magically change because of a "forum campaign", whatever that is meant to achieve.

The OP of the linked thread has Arthur being quite explicit in acknowledging that FD knows it is disappointing. Despite this, they have still decided to opt for experiences outside the ship first.

There is still no indication that ship interiors are ever going to happen, and until it does, seriously, just assume it never will. Otherwise you are just setting yourself up for frustration over something that has never even been hinted at by the people actually making the game.

Like many, I would love to be able to walk around my ships, even if it were just the cockpit. Though it's difficult to imagine FD spending a development cycle on pure cosmetics, I selfishly 100% support the good idea.

Like many others, I am a software engineer and know that nothing is as easy as it seems to people who don't write software for a living. If I had a nickel for every time a client (or family member) wanted me to build them a mobile app or website and showed me an example of what they wanted, with the phrase "just something simple, like this..." I would be a rich man. The regression testing alone for an application of EDs complexity would be a big effort. As others have pointed out, without seeing and understanding the code base, it's literally impossible to know or guess what's easy and what's hard. I do NOT support the assumption that this is trivial.

Like seemingly-not-enough others, with all due respect, I absolutely cannot stand the sense of entitlement inherent in making "demands" of game companies. Game companies do what they do and we either buy what they're selling or we don't. They don't OWE us anything else. The notion that a faceless post on a public forum is going to generate anything other than laughs (at best) or disdain (more likely) from a developer is ridiculous. Same for animated gifs espousing some point of view with the hope the developer pays the least bit of attention to it (they don't). I LOATHE the plan of action.

My comments aren't meant to attack any individuals personally, they truly are not. I'm just a tired, old curmudgeon.

I'm also a software developer, and the intention was never to classify such a feature as trivial. The idea is more "Frontier develop features for Elite Dangerous, and this would be classified as one of the lower effort ones comparatively".

Moreover, I'm not demanding anything. This is a request in the form of a campaign to establish whether there are enough players behind the idea, which may possibly inform Frontier's roadmap priorities.

There's literally a post in the news section explaining what is happening with such things.

This thread is pointless.

We already have our answer. That does not magically change because of a "forum campaign", whatever that is meant to achieve.

The OP of the linked thread has Arthur being quite explicit in acknowledging that FD knows it is disappointing. Despite this, they have still decided to opt for experiences outside the ship first.

There is still no indication that ship interiors are ever going to happen, and until it does, seriously, just assume it never will. Otherwise you are just setting yourself up for frustration over something that has never even been hinted at by the people actually making the game.

Please re-read the OP. An implementation of full or expanded ship interiors with the gameplay loops to go with it is obviously a significant undertaking, and there is no expectation that this will happen soon, let alone at all. That's not what's being asked for here. The request is merely to use cockpits that already exist, with the walking mechanic that will exist when Odyssey launches. There is also no real expectation set for an actual outcome, magical or otherwise, but often if you don't ask, you don't get.

What's the point of this campaign?

We already know that ship legs isn't coming with Odyssey's initial release. It's not like they could just squeeze it in now, a few months from launch where they'll be busy actually finishing whatever it's actually coming, so what's the point of asking for ship legs at this time?

Re-read the OP please.

Full or expanded ship Interiors with gameplay loops = Big change.
Using existing cockpits with the walking mechanic Odyssey will bring = Significantly less big change.

Sorry, not signing this petition! There's many many many other things I want Frontier to spend time on and get right before they do ship interiors!

This is only a request to use existing assets with the newly added existing walking mechanic, and do nothing else.
Ship interiors would be its own can of worms, requiring new and varied assets, thought going into the internal design of all 38 ships (and any new ones in the pipeline) and how they can be navigated, new gameplay loops, etc. That's not what's being asked for here.

Simply put, Frontier please let us walk around in our cockpits when Odyssey launches, or soon after.

Cockpits are already there, Odyssey is bringing legs, so put the two together for an easy win, relatively speaking.

Whether this would be implemented in the eventual lead up to having fleshed out ship interiors, or in lieu of that feature if it’s not going to happen anyway, it’d be a “nice to have” in the interim, or a “better than nothing”, respectively.

Don’t care about walking around the cockpit with no new game mechanic added? Do you think it’s a novelty that will wear off quickly? That’s fine. To each their own, and it’d be no change to your gameplay.

For myself and others, and I would say there’s a good number of us, it would be a much appreciated low effort feature that would add to immersion and enhance role playing. I can see content creators and in-game photographers making use of this as well.

Add your voice if this is something you’d like to see implemented, and maybe an influencer may give it a mention - TheYamiks at least believes that ship interiors should be a thing, so possibly.
Even though this has been done before they are going to tell you it's too difficult.

Even though this has been done before they are going to tell you it's too difficult.

I think it's more likely they'll say they're focusing on other priority features and fixes, if they say anything at all.
If they say something this conceptually straight forward for which both assets and mechanics exist in the game is too difficult, it'd be a comment on their technical competence, which I think is at a level well above what's being asked here.

If FD was doing it, we'd know because they'd likely tell us given how much ship interiors is wanted, so it's probably not happening anytime soon.

Although I'd be on board for cockpit legs for something as simple as walking to the door to disembark and/or a console used to select which suit, guns and equipment I'd be taking when I leave my ship.

And I'd better be able to have all my stuff on my ship, I don't care if it would take an optional internal slot to fit them, I'd have them stashed somewhere in my spaceship that's half the size of a football stadium.

Top Bottom