Cockpit Legs Campaign

Without something to do, I can't say I'm all that fussed. I'm also not convinced that it all exists like you say it does. Are the internals of the ship models solid? Animations for walking won't appear until Odyssey, they sure aren't there now. Backporting those mightn't be as easy as you think.

If FD was doing it, we'd know because they'd likely tell us given how much ship interiors is wanted, so it's probably not happening anytime soon.

Although I'd be on board for cockpit legs for something as simple as walking to the door to disembark and/or a console used to select which suit, guns and equipment I'd be taking when I leave my ship.

And I'd better be able to have all my stuff on my ship, I don't care if it would take an optional internal slot to fit them, I'd have them stashed somewhere in my spaceship that's half the size of a football stadium.

That's getting more into features you'd have if/when full ship interiors are implemented. For now, just asking for the bare minimum as sort of a first step towards ship interiors.
I'm pretty certain FD is not currently working on this, which is why I started this thread, to see if there is much support for this basic level as hopefully an interim thing.

Without something to do, I can't say I'm all that fussed. I'm also not convinced that it all exists like you say it does. Are the internals of the ship models solid? Animations for walking won't appear until Odyssey, they sure aren't there now. Backporting those mightn't be as easy as you think.

The request is to have Cockpit Legs with or soon after Odyssey's launch, so the version of the code they would be implementing this in will have all the cockpits, and all the mechanics required for walking around. Part of the implementation of this feature will be ensuring that there is collision detection on objects within the cockpit, so that they're translated as solid, and that would be the biggest part of this job, but still nothing major, as the engine almost certainly will have ways of reducing the onerousness of such a task.

Add your voice if this is something you’d like to see implemented, and maybe an influencer may give it a mention - TheYamiks at least believes that ship interiors should be a thing, so possibly.

TheYamiks? is not that...

giphy.webp

Deleted member 110222

D
I'm also a software developer, and the intention was never to classify such a feature as trivial. The idea is more "Frontier develop features for Elite Dangerous, and this would be classified as one of the lower effort ones comparatively".

Moreover, I'm not demanding anything. This is a request in the form of a campaign to establish whether there are enough players behind the idea, which may possibly inform Frontier's roadmap priorities.
TBF, on the Internet, everyone is these three things: A developer, a politician and a lawyer.

Do you have any credentials to prove your career claims?

Not being funny but anyone can write "I know how it works."

I prefer to listen to the company making the game, and only them. Sorry, but that's how it works.

I'd rather just not listen to people than listen to them long enough to tell them that I'm not listening to them – it seems a bit disingenuous, but to each their own.

Presumably nothing we say here matters so long as it is within the forum guidelines, so, therefor...

Oh, never mind. I'm late for tea. Carry on.

TBF, on the Internet, everyone is these three things: A developer, a politician and a lawyer.

Do wyou have any credentials to prove your career claims?

I prefer to listen to the company making the game, and only them. Sorry, but that's how it works.

What claim do you want to test my credentials against? That Cockpit Legs is not exactly a trivial addition, but is a low effort change compared to features more involved than combining existing assets (cockpits) with an existing mechanic (legs)? That’s like asking for a doctor to confirm that a mild cold is less serious than a heart attack.

In any case, Frontier have not weighed in on the possibility of Cockpit Legs as a feature, or on the effort required to implement it, so we’re as yet unable to listen to their view on it. They’ve made a statement about Ship Interiors, but that is far more involved than what is being asked here.

Deleted member 110222

D
What claim do you want to test my credentials against? That Cockpit Legs is not exactly a trivial addition, but is a low effort change compared to features more involved than combining existing assets (cockpits) with an existing mechanic (legs)? That’s like asking for a doctor to confirm that a mild cold is less serious than a heart attack.

In any case, Frontier have not weighed in on the possibility of Cockpit Legs as a feature, or on the effort required to implement it, so we’re as yet unable to listen to their view on it. They’ve made a statement about Ship Interiors, but that is far more involved than what is being asked here.
Meh. One can fuss over the deeper workings as much as they like.

Software developer or not, you are in this case exactly the same as me. An end user.

There's basically nothing you or I can do to change things.

We know that there is no type of ship interior confirmed or even suggested as yet. Honestly, that's pretty much where it stops for us.

I stopped lusting over non-existent content ages ago and I am enjoying games a lot more for it.

Do you have any credentials to prove your career claims?

im currently doing a deal on certificates, £15 or £25 in a fancy frame.

8JzfOjl.png

I can do an internet degree from the university of nonsense for £50, or a doctorate for £75

Impress the internet with your certificates! (all proceeds will go toward small seismic charges)

Meh. One can fuss over the deeper workings as much as they like.

Software developer or not, you are in this case exactly the same as me. An end user.

There's basically nothing you or I can do to change things.

We know that there is no type of ship interior confirmed or even suggested as yet. Honestly, that's pretty much where it stops for us.

I stopped lusting over non-existent content ages ago and I am enjoying games a lot more for it.

To paraphrase a famous Taco commercial, why can’t we do both? I don’t know if this request will have any impact, but I know two things. The first is that I have no expectations, and the second is that asking probably has a higher chance of getting some result than not asking, however small. Even a statement from Frontier saying “we’re not going to do Cockpit Legs in the short term” would be a result, and it may even be accompanied by a “we’re looking into this type of feature as a possibility in some future update”, or something else suitably vague and non-committal.

I still enjoy the game, and I also enjoy pitching ideas and hanging out on the forums sometimes.

To paraphrase a famous Taco commercial, why can’t we do both? I don’t know if this request will have any impact, but I know two things. The first is that I have no expectations, and the second is that asking probably has a higher chance of getting some result than not asking, however small. Even a statement from Frontier saying “we’re not going to do Cockpit Legs in the short term” would be a result, and it may even be accompanied by a “we’re looking into this type of feature as a possibility in some future update”, or something else suitably vague and non-committal.

I still enjoy the game, and I also enjoy pitching ideas and hanging out on the forums sometimes.

they already did state cockpit legs and ship interiors "not at launch" , which means ... well anything? getting cockpit interiors in 2067 is "not at launch" sooooo there's that.

they already did state cockpit legs and ship interiors "not at launch" , which means ... well anything? getting cockpit interiors in 2067 is "not at launch" sooooo there's that.

Did they? To my knowledge they were referring to a fuller implementation of ship interiors, which whilst it would include cockpit legs, is not the same as only cockpit legs, and so the decision regarding the one wouldn’t necessarily apply to the other if considered separately, which is the aim of this request.

Otherwise, if they’ve actually specifically decided against a cockpit legs only feature, then I’d stand corrected.

Deleted member 110222

D

But... That's exactly what they said.

Or do you need things to be written in the most literal of words?

IDK, I would have thought most people could see no interiors includes the cockpit given that the cockpit is part of the interior.

But... That's exactly what they said.

Or do you need things to be written in the most literal of words?

IDK, I would have thought most people could see no interiors includes the cockpit given that the cockpit is part of the interior.

...they were referring to a fuller implementation of ship interiors, which whilst it would include cockpit legs, is not the same as only cockpit legs, and so the decision regarding the one wouldn’t necessarily apply to the other if considered separately, which is the aim of this request...

Time and development resources are necessarily factors when considering features and sequencing them on the product roadmap, so developing a feature that amounts only to allowing players to walk around the cockpit will have a different consideration than the much more involved feature of fuller ship interiors with potentially new gameplay mechanics.

That's getting more into features you'd have if/when full ship interiors are implemented. For now, just asking for the bare minimum as sort of a first step towards ship interiors.
I'm pretty certain FD is not currently working on this, which is why I started this thread, to see if there is much support for this basic level as hopefully an interim thing.
I was hoping to give a (meh) gameplay reason for cockpit legs, I don't think FD does interim anymore, since they've decided it's not worth the development resources to add something for just fluff/immersion purposes.

The physical console/panel in the cockpit used for equipment selection is something gameplay related that gives FD a reason to consider cockpit legs, either at or sometime soon after Odyssey's launch.

I was hoping to give a (meh) gameplay reason for cockpit legs, I don't think FD does interim anymore, since they've decided it's not worth the development resources to add something for just fluff/immersion purposes.

The physical console/panel in the cockpit used for equipment selection is something gameplay related that gives FD a reason to consider cockpit legs, either at or sometime soon after Odyssey's launch.

It wouldn't be too hard to implement, though; The cockpits are all already fully modeled (Some of them are HUGE and are wastes of space) and they're already making collisions for legstuff in general that can be used in said walkable cockpits.

It wouldn't be too hard to implement, though; The cockpits are all already fully modeled (Some of them are HUGE and are wastes of space) and they're already making collisions for legstuff in general that can be used in said walkable cockpits.
Were it so easy, cockpit legs would've been included in trailers or the FAQs/AMAs, both as a "see? we're doing it... kinda..." to help tide over the ship interiors crowd and as an additional marketing tool for hype train construction.

But the fact they're not showing anything regarding ship interiors, and have now stated it won't be in at launch, suggests FD either hasn't gotten it to work right or can't find a gameplay use for it yet.

I still better have a storage locker somewhere on my flying city block for additional Elite Feet equipment, else I'll be slightly disappointed for about a day or so.

Were it so easy, cockpit legs would've been included in trailers or the FAQs/AMAs, both as a "see? we're doing it... kinda..." to help tide over the ship interiors crowd and as an additional marketing tool for hype train construction.

But the fact they're not showing anything regarding ship interiors, and have now stated it won't be in at launch, suggests FD either hasn't gotten it to work right or can't find a gameplay use for it yet.

I still better have a storage locker somewhere on my flying city block for additional Elite Feet equipment, else I'll be slightly disappointed for about a day or so.

There are probably a good deal of relatively low effort items that Frontier could develop, but as you alluded to, effort is not going to be the sole factor. Not finding a gameplay use for it is a consideration about if players would be satisfied with the addition. The aim of this request is to see if it can be established that there is enough player support for this sort of stop-gap item.

I do think it is a comparatively low effort feature, given that it involves the use of existing assets (cockpits), and the replication of what will be an existing feature (legs) when Odyssey launches. I don't think Frontier has done much for simple immersion recently, particularly having failed to include a bridge view on the Fleet Carriers, so it's worth making a case for throwing a little love this way.

Simply put, Frontier please let us walk around in our cockpits when Odyssey launches, or soon after.

Cockpits are already there, Odyssey is bringing legs, so put the two together for an easy win, relatively speaking.

Whether this would be implemented in the eventual lead up to having fleshed out ship interiors, or in lieu of that feature if it’s not going to happen anyway, it’d be a “nice to have” in the interim, or a “better than nothing”, respectively.

Don’t care about walking around the cockpit with no new game mechanic added? Do you think it’s a novelty that will wear off quickly? That’s fine. To each their own, and it’d be no change to your gameplay.

For myself and others, and I would say there’s a good number of us, it would be a much appreciated low effort feature that would add to immersion and enhance role playing. I can see content creators and in-game photographers making use of this as well.

Add your voice if this is something you’d like to see implemented, and maybe an influencer may give it a mention - TheYamiks at least believes that ship interiors should be a thing, so possibly.

so_say_we_all1.gif

Top Bottom