Cockpit Legs Campaign

*What happens when I accidentally hit the "stand up and roam" keybind in combat?
*What happens when I'm walking around my ship and I'm interdicted by an NPC? Am I notified? If so, how? Will I have time to react? Will there be a grace period?
"What happens when I'm walking around and a player decides to gank my ship? What are the mechanics of that?
*Will we issue flight commands to our ships while we're away from chair?

- What about collision detection? Without being part of the FDev team we don't know how robust this will be throughout the cockpits.

- What about players getting stuck because of the collision detection? The cockpits are relatively small spaces already, Lots of features to get hung up on. Getting stuck in a corner, or wedged between things.

- What about all the complaints when visually the collision detection and character rendering isn't 100%? Character arms passing through cockpit walls, chairs, etc.

Yes, I would very much like to be able to have my commander walk around the cockpit. Oversimplifying what is likely involved in development and testing doesn't make the task easier for the developers.

Okay discussion and then this.. sigh. Stopped reading here.

Trying to give credentials on anonymous internet forum to prove expert status makes someone sound like a 12yo kid trying to convince everybody that he's a big boy and "knows lots of stuff". ---> It has opposite effect.

Read it again, and this time actually finish reading it, including what it was in response to. I didn’t mention the fact that I’m a software developer to tell someone they were wrong and that I knew better than them. I actually mentioned it to signify agreement from personal experience, to someone who had also just said they were a software engineer. Like with anything mentioned in a discussion, if it’s happened to you, you’d quite naturally say “yes, I agree, that’s happened to me before”.

Then when I asked “What claim do you want to test my credentials against?”, it was to point out that I wasn’t actually using my credentials to backup my claims, and didn’t need to. I was supporting my opinion with arguments that stand on their own merits, like everyone else in the discussion.

Quick judgements often go amiss.

- What about collision detection? Without being part of the FDev team we don't know how robust this will be throughout the cockpits.

- What about players getting stuck because of the collision detection? The cockpits are relatively small spaces already, Lots of features to get hung up on. Getting stuck in a corner, or wedged between things.

- What about all the complaints when visually the collision detection and character rendering isn't 100%? Character arms passing through cockpit walls, chairs, etc.

Yes, I would very much like to be able to have my commander walk around the cockpit. Oversimplifying what is likely involved in development and testing doesn't make the task easier for the developers.

Collision detection is an obvious requirement for this feature, and was factored in when it was considered. The same concerns you raised would have been handled in stations and outposts in Odyssey, not to mention planet surfaces and flora. Applying the same in cockpits should not be overcomplicated, particularly as you don’t do something like this in as large a scale as Odyssey without having or developing engine tools to reduce the manual work.

...with the assets already in the game, and walking mechanics already developed, it’s still a relatively low effort item comparatively speaking, and quite doable in a reasonable amount of time.

This is only a request to use existing assets with the newly added existing walking mechanic, and do nothing else.

... Applying the same in cockpits should not be overcomplicated ....

Yadaa yadda yadda. I forgot, you are a software developer Er, ya. ... keep waving your arms around. Sounds like you are a real expert.

I agree that cool features would be awesome, and as others have mentioned in this and other threads few players would complain if features like described in OP were rolled out. As a random poster on an anonymous forum pretending you know what would be involved in a project that you have had absolutely no involvement or personal experience is certainly not typical for an experienced/competent developer. You have no idea the effort/cost involved or the impact it might have on other aspects of the game. You simply can't know. Unless you actually are an employee of Frontier and have familiarity with the project.

Feel free to make suggestions in the Suggestions Forum. This particular thread looks like you were trying to form a petition (campaigning your suggestion).

Last edited:
Having played the majority of games worth playing and in comparison...my conclusion is frontier is in need of coding kungfu masters. They are often duped by trivial aspects?

Yadaa yadda yadda. I forgot, you are a software developer Er, ya. ... keep waving your arms around. Sounds like you are a real expert.

I agree that cool features would be awesome, and as others have mentioned in this and other threads few players would complain if features like described in OP were rolled out. As a random poster on an anonymous forum pretending you know what would be involved in a project that you have had absolutely no involvement or personal experience is certainly not typical for an experienced/competent developer. You have no idea the effort/cost involved or the impact it might have on other aspects of the game. You simply can't know. Unless you actually are an employee of Frontier and have familiarity with the project.

Feel free to make suggestions in the Suggestions Forum. This particular thread looks like you were trying to form a petition (campaigning your suggestion).

Could you please retract this nonsense?

I’ve not pretended to have any exact knowledge of total effort required or all challenges or obstacles that may exist. I’ve given a high level estimate based on the feature requirements and the existing assets and mechanics, and asserted it in relative terms. There was never any implication of inside knowledge, and so there will inherently and obviously be a measure of speculation, which is quite allowed, and could be accurate or inaccurate to any degree. That is where discussion and debate comes into it, but for that you would need to be speculating yourself to some degree, which you seem to deplore, but which would be necessary to make the case that I have “no idea”.

I had brought this up back after the Odyssey announcement.
Namely, because I wanted to know which exit the player would exit from in the Adder, as she has a Melleniuim Falcon styled ramp that we have not seen since the early days of the game.
Most ships also have a back-door and lift.

Most cockpits have a lift or door, but at least a door panel at the back.

The panel would basically serve as another SHIP MENU PANEL, where SRV/Ship launch fighters/exiting on foot, could be accessed, and then give us our "fade to black"

But again, as much as I'd love this feature from launch, I'd rather have the basics up and running first before "nice-to-haves" start delaying or compromising gameplay and timetables.

...or compromising gameplay and timetables.
Funny you should mention that. I've found that some not insignificant amount of designed game-play bothers my enjoyment of the game, so I more often than not tend not to bother with those aspects of the game. People want game-play; I say be careful what you wish for.

This is a free-form and open-ended game, but I wouldn't mind it being a more immersive and contextually apt galactic sandbox.

Not being funny but anyone can write "I know how it works."
I prefer to listen to the company making the game, and only them. Sorry, but that's how it works.
I'm not a 5 star chef but life experience has taught me that a boiled egg is easier to do than a perfect fried egg, and scrambled eggs is even easier (slightly wet).
When I stand up in the cockpit in VR I can see the 3D space is already mapped out and the bitmaps are of a high standard, it's not just a picture of a cockpit and they're doing legs for Odyssey so the only* thing they need to add is some interactivity (blinking lights, monitor dispays and maybe a lift button - which are probably also being added to Odyssey), make it so you can only leave the seat when parked... so what could be so incredibly hard to be able to add cockpit legs?

* Being a subjective term. I managed to get C++ to print to the screen 'Hello World' so I get programming is hard but there's nothing new required here - and for the people who just want the instant transition, they wouldn't need to take away the crotch screen to 'Exit to... Bridge / SRV / Outside'. Jeez!

You know where this can lead. If the appeal gains enough traction, FD might eventually cave and delay Odyssey by another year to add cockpit legs on release.

You know where this can lead. If the appeal gains enough traction, FD might eventually cave and delay Odyssey by another year to add cockpit legs on release.

Odyssey can more than stand alone as a sufficient content expansion. If it’s not feasible to add cockpit legs without delaying or creating undue stress, it’s something that can be included in an update sometime after Odyssey’s release. The main thing is to have it way before a full ship interiors implementation greets us, if it ever does.

What if after landing when exiting a ship, we would just get an animation where our chair turns and we automatically walk to the nearest exit and then fade to black into airlock or ladders?

There would be plenty of time during that few seconds animation with head movement to look around cockpit, why would we need to be able to walk around it?
Or stop at the coffee machine?
Think it as "autowalking", so you won´t need to bother to walk to the door every time you land, but can still enjoy the trip and the view with immersion it would bring.

At the first naturally, then more later on walking in a cockpit / ship and with larger ship interiors if it fits FD´s plans.

The excellent VR-only game “Lone Echo” does zero-G where you mainly propel yourself via handholds and pushing off surfaces - it defaults to a “maintain horizon” style whereby there is always the same “up” + “down” directions. There is an advanced setting where grabbing a surface with both hands allows you to change that by rotating around, and it’s a bit trippy the first time doing it 😅

For flatscreen Elite’s hypothetical zero-G I suppose it could be a bit like underwater sections in other FPS games, with a few inverse-kinematic animations for grabby-handholds. I’d expect our suits to have micro-thrusters to help us get around, as well as the already announced mag-boots.
Interesting. Cheers.

Great news everyone.

Frontier has announced that they are delaying Odyssey again in order to implement this great suggestion (sic).

Let us all shake hands in a self-satisfied fashion.

For me it seems we even have all required ready in the game for walking animated from the chair to the door, and back, while looking around with free head movement.

Think you can actually do this already with VR (lots of nice pics at forums from inside cockpits), just move camera around cockpit and look around, same principle except movement through cockpit would be automated (to avoid any issues or too much complexity that would take more time than just an animation).

Great news everyone.

Frontier has announced that they are delaying Odyssey again in order to implement this great suggestion (sic).

Let us all shake hands in a self-satisfied fashion.

Doesn’t have to launch with Odyssey. As long as it’s sometime after, and well before a full ship interiors feature, if it ever comes.

Top Bottom