Cockpit Legs Campaign

While it mustn't be underestimated the effort to make it possible, it'd really have a good feeling to be able to actually get up from your seat and walk to the cockpit's door before the fade to black.
It'd feel less like being dropped in an srv :p

While it mustn't be underestimated the effort to make it possible, it'd really have a good feeling to be able to actually get up from your seat and walk to the cockpit's door before the fade to black.

PS: obviously we can't expect that to happen outside situations in which you could normally go on foot, so no getting up in combat (at least until we have a full implementation of interiors and activities in a future expansion)

One can hope :)

I wish Fdev weren't so tight lipped with their future development process. A roadmap with no specific dates would still keep us excited for whats coming next.

Reading these forums (for many years now btw), I understood (and that one dev at some convention according to one message from FD even kinda said it, maybe drunk), that FD has now learned one mistake it made with Horizon-roadmap:

It pretty much tied their hands for years to come, even if they noticed something was a miss or an error.
And prevented very much resources from other kind of development outside the roadmap published.

Well that is at least how I have understood it.
And a possible reason why so little info for now even to hype Odyssey for potential new players.

10 LET walk_around_cockpit = true
20 GOTO 10

That's a bit of an exaggeration. I don't think it will take all that much work to complete. For example, you could do without that second line of code entirely, as there is no section of code that will change the value of that variable to false.

People are just always trying to complicate things... :cautious:

/s

OP, I know you are a software engineer and that you know it won't be a difficult thing for FD to do - but do you really know?

Do you know if all the assets in every cockpit are rendered with their collision limits? Can you say for certain that any stairs will actually function as stairs? Are you positive that everyone will only be happy with walking around their cockpit, and no one will suddenly demand (via Open Letter of course) that the coffee machine must be made to work and that they can easily identify a flat white from a cappuccino at a glance? What protocols will need to be put into place to alert a Commander of impending doom whilst they are doing the solo waltz around their cockpit? Whose fault will it be if the ship is destroyed because the Commander was playing virtual hopscotch and flew into a star? What I am trying to say is that although it may look like everything is there it may not be the case and it could be a bucket load of damn hard work for FDev to do what you think is an easy task.

Yes it would be nice to get up from the Commander's chair, but then what? Stand and look out the window? See how many paces it is to the rear bulkhead? Identify then bitterly complain that the graphics on the lower console at the left rear of the Cutter's cockpit don't quite match up with each other? Fix the dangly wires hanging down on some ships? Play with your bobble heads?

Just face it, there isn't a lot of gameplay that can be had in a cockpit that can't be had when sitting in the Commander's chair. Like a lot of other's I envisage that when you land and want to stretch your legs, you will hit the appropriate key binding and after a fade to black you will find yourself in the air lock on your ship looking at the stairs down. That will be enough for me.

Going programming what is a cockpit? It's a graphic probably with no collision math like a ship has when another ship bumps into it. I've seen orbiting lines coming into the cockpit with a few view angles. A player walking around might just drop through the floor. But say it is all there and after 10 minutes walking around the cockpit a player is going to want to open that door in the back. Then what as VR players have shown there is nothing there to see except polygons making up the outside of the ship?

Let's go with Odyssey to see what they came up with then we can say, "Wonderful, brilliant, fantastic but oh by the way how about this?". Others will have a lot of negative and sometimes very angry comments. Welcome to the Forum.

With every major update to ED there have been bugs that seriously effect player game styles and take months to correct. Some of them never get back to the way it was. When Odyssey goes live I hope for the best but prepare for the worst. We players will have some work to do.

OP, I know you are a software engineer and that you know it won't be a difficult thing for FD to do - but do you really know?

Do you know if all the assets in every cockpit are rendered with their collision limits? Can you say for certain that any stairs will actually function as stairs? Are you positive that everyone will only be happy with walking around their cockpit, and no one will suddenly demand (via Open Letter of course) that the coffee machine must be made to work and that they can easily identify a flat white from a cappuccino at a glance? What protocols will need to be put into place to alert a Commander of impending doom whilst they are doing the solo waltz around their cockpit? Whose fault will it be if the ship is destroyed because the Commander was playing virtual hopscotch and flew into a star? What I am trying to say is that although it may look like everything is there it may not be the case and it could be a bucket load of damn hard work for FDev to do what you think is an easy task.

Yes it would be nice to get up from the Commander's chair, but then what? Stand and look out the window? See how many paces it is to the rear bulkhead? Identify then bitterly complain that the graphics on the lower console at the left rear of the Cutter's cockpit don't quite match up with each other? Fix the dangly wires hanging down on some ships? Play with your bobble heads?

Just face it, there isn't a lot of gameplay that can be had in a cockpit that can't be had when sitting in the Commander's chair. Like a lot of other's I envisage that when you land and want to stretch your legs, you will hit the appropriate key binding and after a fade to black you will find yourself in the air lock on your ship looking at the stairs down. That will be enough for me.

Hi M00ka, and welcome back from your hiatus.

The possibility that collision detection is not currently implemented in cockpits was considered when classing this a relatively low effort item. On the scale that collision detection had to have been done in Odyssey, engine tools are without a doubt available to make it much less of a burden. In something like Unreal Engine for example, it's literally a setting per object where you choose the type of collision detection you need, depending on the required complexity of the mesh.

There is of course no notion that everyone will desire or be satisfied by this proposed feature. I am guessing though that there are enough players who would appreciate it as a role playing and immersion enhancing addition, with the hope that it would be the first step towards more fleshed out ship interiors, and the consolation that if ship interiors never come, at least there'll be this. So I created this thread so commanders could show support for the idea if they choose. As for this leading to players making more requests for cockpit and ship interior features, that's to be encouraged, not avoided, as it would help make a case for expanded ship interiors, which may influence Frontier to consider it if they had abandoned plans to do it, or which may bring it closer in the product roadmap.

The idea for this feature though requires keeping it as simple as possible. Commanders leave their seat at their own risk, and need to pay attention to the existing warnings and alerts, with any consequences being their own fault.

Other players have brought up the issue of gameplay to assess this proposed feature as low value. Here is one of my responses to that:

"Why does gameplay have to be the focus from a development perspective? The focus on gameplay is for the purpose of player enjoyment, which for the company is expected to translate to sales. If a proposed feature that doesn’t introduce new gameplay is something that a substantial proportion of players say they would enjoy, and I’m not presuming that this proposal necessarily fits that bill, then that would translate to sales in the same way a similarly enjoyable gameplay focused feature would."

Immersion is a huge factor in what makes Elite a great game, and what draws players in and holds them. In my opinion, it should not be undervalued and cannot be overstated.

Last edited:
X4 Foundations lets us walk around in the cockpit. It was part of the game per an NPC flying the ship or you wanting to fly it. Going to the back door a player entered an elevator with several options to leave the ship and never saw the rest of it. Let's see how Odyssey does this.

Im keeping out of the elite hopium fail loop, but now that its delayed a quarterish, maybe they can sneak something in (if someone other than me asks insistently).
It's the other way around, since they "delayed" (if you can call it a delay, since they always have been vague) odissey, it means that they're already struggling to keep up with what they've already planned.
Let's delay this talk to after the release.

Single crew:
I am imagining the player complaints because of collision detection, player getting stuck issues. With no actual gameplay added.

Muticrew:
2+ players walking around the cockpits? I realize multicrew is currently telepresence holograms. So maybe they can pass through the physical pilot and artifacts (tables and chairs). Wouldn't look very pretty, mishmash of visual graphics. And it would hurt any future ideas of having additional physical crew. (2+ crew walking around in a cockpit with full collision detection?). Overall it would really suck with muticrew. Again, issues & complaints with no gameplay added.

If FD can pull it off and its great, fantastic! I would love it The fact that they haven't after 6 years suggests its not a simple game addition.

... suddenly demand (via Open Letter of course) that the coffee machine must be made to work and that they can easily identify a flat white from a cappuccino at a glance?

Ok, now I'm intrigued! People want a gameplay mechanism for cockpit legs? Now we have one. I am all over the fancy coffee angle. I would fly a Diamondback Scout if it makes the best cafe mocha. I have totally changed my mind, I am now absolutely upvoting this thread. :)

Top Bottom