Codex Confused

Thwarptide

Banned
Hail and greetings Commanders and commanderetts, 07
I'm actually discovering locations of Bio signals in heavily traveled areas that should have in all likelihood had the systems honked let alone scanned (I'm making plenty of $).
4 jumps from a settlement system on my way back to the blacker regions, I stumbled across an undiscovered system with 7 bio signals. Double checked to see if indeed the system had been discovered or scanned to find its all mine. Keep in mind that I have "discovered" other bio signal locations elsewhere as well.

I don't know what made me look in the CODEX, but I did. I'm trying to grasp the pertinent data. Now I understand that not all bio signals will be listed in the codex.
It's the upper right section that gives me pause. I'm not exactly certain what or who that applies to.
Now I understand what "confirmed" means and who that applies to.
But "reported"....... Are those my total reported bio signals or a combination of mine and other Cmdrs?
While we're at it "what the" heck is rumored? Could those just be "honked" signals?

I appreciate the input. 07
PicsArt_07-02-03.30.51.jpg

Deleted member 38366

D
Rumored = non-functional placeholder, ignore that. It's been vacant since >1.5 years

Reported = the sum of all Reported Codex entries by others [edit] for the Galactic Sector that you haven't scanned yet
Confirmed = the sum of all Codex entries of this Galactic Sector scanned by you yourself (in your example, you scanned and hence confirmed Bark Mounds)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thwarptide

Banned
Rumored = non-functional placeholder, ignore that. It's been vacant since >1.5 years

Reported = the sum of all Reported Codex entries for the Galactic Sector (Others and Yours)
Confirmed = the sum of all Codex entries of this Galactic Sector scanned by you yourself (in your example, you scanned and hence confirmed Bark Mounds)
Yeah, it did enter into my head that rumored was a dead horse. Kinda makes no sense to have it to begin with.
Reported however was my bigger issue. THANK YOU for clearing that up. BTW 16 of those reports are mine. (I've been busy just bumping into em accidently). Now there's going to be another 7 soon enough.
I knew what confirmed was. I stopped at one to get some needed goodies.

Thanks for for scanning my post Cmdr. 07

Deleted member 38366

D
Yeah, it did enter into my head that rumored was a dead horse. Kinda makes no sense to have it to begin with.
Reported however was my bigger issue. THANK YOU for clearing that up. BTW 16 of those reports are mine. (I've been busy just bumping into em accidently). Now there's going to be another 7 soon enough.

The "16 of those reports are mine" seems awkward.
With only 1 confirmed in this screenshot, it means you literally only scanned those Bark Mounds and still have to encounter (scan) all the other stuff (?)

I also made a mistake : once you scanned something yourself, it >only< counts as Confirmed and is not indicated anymore under "Reported".
1593720421573.png

(I haven't scanned 4 Anomalies and 6 Lagrange clouds - those are the 10 remaining "Reported". Everything else I confirmed, which adds up to those 23)

So in short :
Confirmed + Reported = all there's been discovered in the Galactic Sector so far
Reported = stuff you haven't personally scanned yet
Confirmed = your scanned Codex stuff obviously

Last edited by a moderator:

Thwarptide

Banned
The "16 of those reports are mine" seems awkward.
With only 1 confirmed in this screenshot, it means you literally only scanned those Bark Mounds and still have to encounter (scan) all the other stuff (?)
Well I FSS scanned those systems with bios landed at two, bark mounds. I did not confirm but one in another previously scanned system by someone else, because I needed to prospect stuff. Bark mounds everywhere.
My discoveries will not be listed in anyone's codex from what I'm told. (unless it's a new lifeform to the region). It will just show up as a number in "reported". The sector

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
Yeah, only a Codex 1st Discovery will appear on everyone's Codex.

Exceedingly difficult to achieve, though, since most (all? unknown) has already been reported by other CMDRs.

Rumoured makes a lot of sense if you look at what seems to be the general theme of what Codex was doing - 'in-gaming' stuff that was previously happening out-of-game. Prior to the Codex:

• Rumours - stuff that was shown in trailers, etc. (or reported by someone but with no photos or details of where, how, etc.)
  • Reported - stuff that one cmdr found/encountered and then reported somewhere (often buried away in an obscure forum thread)
  • Confirmed - other people either going and checking and finding the same thing the aforementioned cmdr had reported, or finding another example of it.

It would have worked reasonably well, but could probably have done with having some kind of overarching level on top of the regions.

I think what's ended up happening though is that the new exploration mechanics boosted the rate of discovery so substantially that it rendered the rumoured part effectively redundant.

Case in point; the Sinuous Tubers. First rumoured via the 2.2 Trailer. Never found prior to the new exploration tools despite some concerted searching. They were then found in what was probably less than a week in the 3.3 Beta (and that's including the days at the start of the Beta where all the keybinds were messed up and nothing really worked).

[rumoured entries]
I think what's ended up happening though is that the new exploration mechanics boosted the rate of discovery so substantially that it rendered the rumoured part effectively redundant.

Case in point; the Sinuous Tubers. First rumoured via the 2.2 Trailer. Never found prior to the new exploration tools despite some concerted searching.
Not really. While the majority of things were found in the initial rush after the Beyond Chapter Four update, there were still some unique finds which could have used some Rumoured entries to point towards them, but had none. For example, Aster trees, Torus molluscs, and so on.
People have always asked them about what happened to the promised rumours, but to date, there has been no information on it.

Thwarptide

Banned
Did you scan any of the other bio signals with the ship or SRV's composition scanner? It's not confirmed in the codex until you do.
Well, here's the thing. Any of my discoverys won't be confirmed in the codex. Only those previously listed in the codex which were discovered somewhere around 3130 are listed in the codex as reported. A location is given and if you like, you can go confirm it. But your confirmation or name won't be listed in the regional codex. It's listed on yours for your sake. Think of it as a your own personal tourist log. The one I confirmed a month ago had been previously discovered around 3130. I only stopped there to prospect needed stuff. Prospecting is easier and more lucrative around bio sites, geysers and other types of volcanism. I don't hop down to a planet to drive around blind looking for stuff.

I've gone to several of my own discoveries to prospect. Mapped the planet, composition scanned and went to work. Then sold the cyrpto data. They're not in the codex under my name. The numbers (see the Pic I provided) for that particular item are reported for the region. No locations, no names. Just numbers.

Last edited:
Not really. While the majority of things were found in the initial rush after the Beyond Chapter Four update, there were still some unique finds which could have used some Rumoured entries to point towards them, but had none. For example, Aster trees, Torus molluscs, and so on.
People have always asked them about what happened to the promised rumours, but to date, there has been no information on it.
Nah, it still makes sense.

Sure, there could have been rumours done for things that weren’t found in the big initial wave, but the question is what would doing so have achieved? Things have been getting discovered without the rumours at a pace that’s orders of magnitude quicker than pre-3.3. In all likelihood the net effect would have been to heavily speed up the rate of discoveries, and burn through things even quicker, leaving nothing new to be discovered for an extended period.

(I’m of the view that the design of the discoveries section of the Codex was done more in line with the pre-3.3 context, rather than the pace that the new exploration tools resulted in. Could be wrong of course, but it does make sense of it.)

Thwarptide

Banned
I also made a mistake : once you scanned something yourself, it >only< counts as Confirmed and is not indicated anymore under "Reported".
I don't confirm everything I FSS scan. If I'm fairly certain that the system is loaded with the more common Bark mounds found in or around the nebula, there's no point in looking in my book.
I like to gleen outside nebulas, between 100 - 250 lys. Most folks only explore the insides of em. Plenty of bios outside. I've gleened 2 so far and I've never found anything but Bark mounds. I'm considering gleaning a few outside this region because of that. Why? I'm not sure. Perhaps I'm thinking something will pop up not yet in the codex? (don't you dare laugh). There's just a lot of missed stuff in and around nebulas. After about a month, I'll hit the closest settlement/stn and sell the crypto data. That's when the "reported numbers go up in my codex. Maybe those reported #s are mine? It's not really important. There's no glory, I'm not looking for such a trivial thing. I WANT FORTUNE!
Who knows, maybe I'll hit the jackpot and bump into Raxxla in the least likely place nobody thought to look (OK, now you can laugh) 😊🤪

Last edited:
Well I FSS scanned those systems with bios landed at two, bark mounds. I did not confirm but one in another previously scanned system by someone else, because I needed to prospect stuff. Bark mounds everywhere.
My discoveries will not be listed in anyone's codex from what I'm told. (unless it's a new lifeform to the region). It will just show up as a number in "reported". The sector
Just wanted to clarify a point which I think may have been misunderstood (though I might just be misinterpreting what you’re saying 😀).

For every type and variant of Codex discovery it is only the first instance that you scan in a region which will make it into the Codex.

If the first instance that you scan is the first instance that anyone has scanned in the region, then that becomes the ‘Reported’ entry for everyone, plus becomes the ‘Confirmed’ entry for you.

If a type and variant is already Reported by someone else then the first instance that you scan of it will become the ‘Confirmed’ entry for you.

Scans of further instances of a type and variant that you have already Confirmed do not go into the Codex*.

(*There’s an partial exception for Stellar Objects. When you’ve discovered multiple types, you will also be able to see your own personal record discoveries - record in this sense meaning biggest, smallest, hottest coldest, and things like that. It’s a preset set of criteria though, not self-definable or searchable.)

Edit - like I say at the start, I might just have misinterpreted what you were saying, and you might well already know all the above. 😀

Edit 2 - just to add, in reference to your post directly above this one, the Codex doesn’t work like UC where you have to hand the data in to get the tags and the credits. Codex updates all happen at the time of the scan. Claiming the reward credits for the Codex just gives the credits (as in money).

Last edited:
Sure, there could have been rumours done for things that weren’t found in the big initial wave, but the question is what would doing so have achieved?
It would have achieved two things: 1. actually fulfilling the promise that there will be rumours leading to things, and 2. some finds which were only found much later would have been found not with folks stumbling upon them randomly.
Personally, I think #1 alone should have been enough.

Things have been getting discovered without the rumours at a pace that’s orders of magnitude quicker than pre-3.3. In all likelihood the net effect would have been to heavily speed up the rate of discoveries, and burn through things even quicker, leaving nothing new to be discovered for an extended period.

(I’m of the view that the design of the discoveries section of the Codex was done more in line with the pre-3.3 context, rather than the pace that the new exploration tools resulted in. Could be wrong of course, but it does make sense of it.)
"At a pace that's orders of magnitude quicker than pre-3.3"? That's hyperbole, we have no data on this. (Unless you meant that systems and bodies have been discovered at a pace that's orders of magnitude quicker than before, but I don't find it likely that you did... especially seeing that it's demonstrably false.)

To me, it seems you are assuming that there was a lot to discover that went undiscovered before Chapter Four, but we only know of one thing that was added earlier and went undiscovered until the DSS started pinpointing locations: sinuous tubers. (And even that is assuming that the models showed in the trailer were actually in-game: for all we know, they might have included them in the trailer but forgotten to add them to the live game and test if they worked.)
NSPs were added with Chapter Four of course, so those couldn't have been found. Other than the "original" sinuous tubers, the rest (colour-swapped variants, crystal shards and amphora plants) were almost certainly added with Chapter Four, seeing that they obey region boundaries - and galactic regions weren't present before that update.
Now, all kinds of surface life were found during the C4 beta, with only amphora plants having taken a few days after the update's launch to be found. Ever since then, the only new kinds of discoveries were NSPs, and new types there certainly aren't discovered at a breakneck pace :) Of course, this can be because of two reasons again:
1. They are too difficult to find without clues
2. We have actually discovered most of them already

We don't know which it is, of course, since we don't know what's undiscovered - only FD does. However, since they chose to not add any Rumours despite the framework having been added over 1.5 years ago (will be two years before Odyssey launches), I'm inclined to believe it's #2. We're in a seriously long content drought, when people even pounced on an FD-tweeted screenshot of peduncle trees, so they could have at least given a clue that there's something out there to find. There's apparently even an in-game framework for this, that they added but never used yet.

Last edited:

Thwarptide

Banned
Let's face it, most regions are very big. What's the problem with having rumors in a region?
Roxxla is a rumor, FD says it's real and it can be found. OK despite the mass efforts of players to locate it, there's not been one credible shred of evidence found.

However, since they chose to not add any Rumours despite the framework having been added over 1.5 years ago (will be two years before Odyssey launches), I'm inclined to believe it's #2
Or #3: Actual FDev staff simply don't have a clue that there is a 'rumour' categorie in the codex as the one implemented it is already retired :D

About half a year after the Codex was released, I came back to the game and made a not particularly direct trip from the Bubble to Colonia via the Formidine Rift. It took me also through the Orion-Cygnus Arm and I was very surprised when even after half a year of Codex I managed to get a "First Report" entry for a star, a G-Supergiant.

And yes that one is also registered as such in the Codex inside the game. The EDSM reports for A Supergiant and B-Giant in that same region also have my commander name but that's wrong - there were others reported before, but not to EDSM.

Then again, last week I got another "First Reported" in the in-game Codex for "Albidum Sinuous Tubers" (or some such) in Odin's Hold - hurray! Except a day later it was gone again - bugged in-game Codex for those...
Phimbaae ZJ-R d4-5677 3 Bio Albidum Sinuous Tubers 1st.jpg

Last edited:

Thwarptide

Banned
I was very surprised when even after half a year of Codex I managed to get a "First Report" entry for a star, a G-Supergiant.
I'm not surprised at all. Most folks are zooming from point A-B. Many explorers zip the middle of the Galactic plane, ignorant of the fact that you can go high or low.
I'm gleening Nebula and you'd think they'd have been explored to death. I'm making a mint!
Here's a couple of current, up-2-date examples of the high traffic areas and yet they've barely been explored. It's been said that around .012% (don't quote me) of the galaxy has been discovered. It's yours to discover.
visited-systems-regions.jpg

Screenshot_20200706-150738_Chrome Beta.jpg

It's pretty easy to tell you how you can plan your expeditions

Top Bottom