Combat Air Patrol 2

Goose4291

Banned
scr-060-t.jpg

Combat Air Patrol, a veritable classic of a game with many issues, but much potential is getting a sequel (although it is only plodding along steadily in early accrss at the moment).

The game would best be described as a cheaper, simpler DCS World, combining the Harrier, Persian Gulf and Nevada maps as well as combined arms modules to allow you to not only fly your missions, but plan them and support them with supporting friendly planes, airborne tankers, helos, ships and land assets, all bundled into a dynamic campaign that will offer multiplayer support

It is, as I've said VERY early Alpha (missions and training missions dont have working objectives, mission planner isnt really working), however for a mid level modern flight sim with VR support, with four maps to choose from (Hormuz, NW England/Wales, Nevada and Hawaii) I can give it a strong recommend due to the potential it offers.

combat-airpatrol-2.png

Also, for you Fleet Air Arm nerds, the QE is ingame!

ss_a4c979872ec4ad216a34af5a6f5f26ec8352e19f.jpg

Steam Page

Last edited:
I bought this on day one, think I was a little optimistic to think the dynamic campaign would be in anytime soon.

Being my favourite aircraft, I had to get it, it flies beautifully though.

Goose4291

Banned
I bought this on day one, think I was a little optimistic to think the dynamic campaign would be in anytime soon.

Being my favourite aircraft, I had to get it, it flies beautifully though.

Yeah, Im the same. I grabbed it at a time.when DCS needed online renewals every week or so, and I couldnt rely on a solid net connection for months at a time.

That said, anything I can practise fundamental flight with using an xbox pad to keep my hand in it is a good thing.

Might have to look at this.

Its worth it if youre either looking for a mid.level flight sim, or wanting to test the waters about becoming addicted to the crack cocaine that is DCS, as you effectively getting low fidelity versions of several DCS modules for $210 for just over £20

The original Combat Air Patrol was one of my favorite sims from the 90's, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to give this a try when it comes out.

Last edited:

Goose4291

Banned
Been a while, but here's an update from the devs.

52e3008163386b692aa5d477531ca281dc13f3f5.png

update includes:
Update to atmosphere rendering
'Multiple Scattering' and Ozone contribution added to atmospheric lookup tables
This adds atmospheric haze, improves sunrise, sunset
Mission weather options include 'Light Haze', 'Light Haze - High' & 'Strong Haze'
AV8B skin updates
Navigation lights
Bug Fixes
Several minor bugs fixed including:
fixed issue where a class of memory buffer was not set to 'canGrow' - accessing all regions in one session could lead to a crash.
I'm currently working on the v814.x series of updates. These will comprise:
Mission editor - You're able to:
Select region
Select time of day, weather
Place Aircraft, ships, weapon systems
Add routes, armament, ROE
Assign mission targets
Set completion & failure criteria
Mission Browser
Select from local mission files and Steam Workshop missions
In-mission tactical view
UI Update
Initially to facilitate mission editor, browser etc.
Steam Workshop Browser
Initially for mission files, later for AC skins.

Goose4291

Banned
Same, as I said earlier in the thread, I adored the original CAP. I've been using this mostly to keep my hand in for DCS when I return to the normal world.

Goose4291

Banned
Looks like the small community is getting it's modding hats on in preparation for the next update, with the new skins seeing the Harrier returning back to the RAF.

GR-9.jpg

Standby for a Goose4291 tutorial campaign to replace the woeful in-game ones we have now :D

So is this a SIM or a Game, you understand where I'm going? DCS is a SIM.
Edit:
I see they say it's a half SIM half Game :)

Last edited:
It's gamier than DCS, but still a lot more sim than, let's say, Ace combat. :)
Yes, a golden middle path of the gender, I'm ok with that, Same as IL-2 however that one lean more to the SIM side.
Edit:
As long as the flight mechanics is simulated and not just some number in an XML sheet.

Yes, a golden middle path of the gender, I'm ok with that, Same as IL-2 however that one lean more to the SIM side.
Edit:
As long as the flight mechanics is simulated and not just some number in an XML sheet.
Yeah, it's sim enough. Don't know if they have a spreadsheet for physics, but the flight feels like flight.

Is this sim made on the same engine as Falcon 4.0? When I see the screenshots and vids from it all I can think of is - looks like new BMS mod.
Also I read that its literally stuck in infamous "early access" phase for like 3 years or so?

So is this a SIM or a Game, you understand where I'm going? DCS is a SIM.

It is less of a push-button sim than DCS, though the cockpit is fairly interactive (even in EA). Judging by the Dev plans and previous games, it'll aim to be at a similar level in the tactical side, while offering a more in the operational level.

I think it will turn out to be a better war sim, though a lesser systems sim. I am fine with that.

It is also fair to see that it has come a long way since its EA release in the visual department. It still needs to mature in the functional department.

Goose4291

Banned
It is less of a push-button sim than DCS, though the cockpit is fairly interactive (even in EA). Judging by the Dev plans and previous games, it'll aim to be at a similar level in the tactical side, while offering a more in the operational level.

I think it will turn out to be a better war sim, though a lesser systems sim. I am fine with that.

It is also fair to see that it has come a long way since its EA release in the visual department. It still needs to mature in the functional department.

I agree. Push comes to shove the mission editor being included in the next update means folk like me with too much time on our hands will start churning out decent missions to play beyond the current rather tripe tutorials.

Top Bottom