Combat logging no longer an exploit? * trigger warning *

So during a discussion on another thread it was questions by (i assume) a newer forum member as to weather combat logging was against the rules or simply frowned apon. They were directed to the EULA and terms of service agreement.

However i had a quick skim and could not actualy find a reference that i could conclude covered combat logging.

Then i knew there was a post by sandro many moons ago that directly clarified that it was considered an exploit and was cheating and not alowed. So i tryed to find it and for the life of me i could not.

Eventualy using various anciant art forms of divination i managed to find a threat that referenced the fabled sandro thread..

It was titled ''combat logging:update''
As you will see its been removed.

Then i tryed to find a single official reference to combat logging and the rules around it, and i just cant find a thing..

Have frontier stealth redacted the stance on combat logging?

Given how many new players and forumites we now have.. alot of the sage wisdom and advice known by the veterans has been lost in to the ages it seems and perhaps also by the devs as alot of the old posts seem to have been removed or archived and dont show up on searches.

How are the new pups suposed to know all this legacy info.. or indeed perhaps us old timers are now out of date?

I know clarity and well, any comunication from fev has been in steep decline over the past 2 years.. and it wasnt exactly strong to begin with lol, but perhaps we could get a word on the state of all this.

Alot of what is banded about as common knowledge has become less common of late, and the sources of such knowledge seem to be becoming, more and more obscured.

God i miss the old days or engaging beta dissgussions and live chat streams.

Last edited:
There was never any stance of FDev regarding combat logging in the EULA.

It's an online game, having some PvP element just reposing on the willingness or ability of players to maintain their connection so one side or the other can "win" is completely silly. Just consider you win if someone logs on you.

It would be very, very easy for an FDev representative to clarify their position.

As you say they have stated their position before, but time lapsed has potentially made this difficult to track down, and may have changed. Cheating & generally cynically exploiting loopholes is something some players take seriously in a competitive game within a shared environment.

I wonder if they will?

There was never any stance of FDev regarding combat logging in the EULA.

It's an online game, having some PvP element just reposing on the willingness or ability of players to maintain their connection so one side or the other can "win" is completely silly. Just consider you win if someone logs on you.
There is reference to out of game exploits in the EULA and i think that combat logging was regarded as such as made clear by sandro.. in the post that no longer exists. Lol

There is reference to out of game exploits in the EULA and i think that combat logging was regarded as such as made clear by sandro.. in the post that no longer exists. Lol

Sandro adjusted the timer to log off so over inflated HP pools are still free to combat log via the menu regardless of intent. At this point it's a gentleman agreement only to allow your opponent an explosion.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Here's a relevant, somewhat later, quote from Sandro:

Hello Commanders!

To clarify: the official stance on exiting the game via the menu, at any point, is that it is legitimate. I suspect at some point we may increase the "in danger" countdown, but for now you just have to wait fifteen seconds.

However, we can't speak for how other Commanders view such actions.

For the record, when we talk about "combat logging" at Frontier, we mean the act of ungracefully exiting the game (either by ALT-F4 type procedures or by cutting the network traffic).

The only reasonable response to any thread like this is: "Who Cares?".

If people need to toughen up and make lite of ship destruction, I mean they're only pixels. Then some other people should just toughen up and make lite of a ship logging, I mean they're only pixels.

Complaints about CLogging rank right up there with complaints about ship destruction. Wasted effort.

I suppose a member from November 2017 could be classed as "New"... (You do know just hovering over their avatar tells you this?)... compared to your April 2014 :)

No, there is nothing in the published EULA or Code of Conduct to explicitly forbid this behaviour, and the only Dev comment I've seen in the last couple of years was never added to the CoC listing.

So, essentially, although disliked by some players, it actually isn't 'wrong' from any 'official' stance. As suggested, if it happens to you just chalk up a 'win' and get over it, like 'ganking' it ain't going away, is it?

( I did read your sig, so no criticism on your post :) )

The only reasonable response to any thread like this is: "Who Cares?".

If people need to toughen up and make lite of ship destruction, I mean they're only pixels. Then some other people should just toughen up and make lite of a ship logging, I mean they're only pixels.

Complaints about CLogging rank right up there with complaints about ship destruction. Wasted effort.
Im not dissgussing the morality or relevance of combat logging complaints here. Im diggusing the legitimacy of it in frontiers eyes. I can smell the potential for derailment. Please dont help it along i beg you

They broke a lot of links/threads when the updated the forums and archived tons of stuff a couple of years back.

I also cannot find Sandro's post from January 2015, though I distinctly remember it at the time and can find my own references to it as recently as 2018.

Robert Maynard links a post of Sandro's that still exists that makes it clear that menu logging and combat logging are treated distinctly, with fairly clear implications that an ungraceful exit is prohibited.

I've never really understood the depth of passion regarding combat logging. As has been mentioned above, if someone does this, consider it a win and move on. So what if someone chooses to pull their network cable rather than face the rebuy? How exactly does it affect you?

I have never combat logged, but I must admit that I cannot say with 100% certainty that I'd never do it. I played for many years in solo and Mobius and have over the last 6 months or so been playing almost exclusively in Open, dropping only to Mobius when mining or visiting Shinrata/Engineers. Although I play in open, I consider my playstyle to be "solo with the opportunity to make friends". I have absolutely no desire to be someone else's content and although I have billions in the bank, I really don't want the inconvenience of the rebuy screen.

I find it amusing that a lot of the people who would cause someone to consider combat logging justify their reasoning as "it's part of the game, I'm playing it my way" and yet when others play it their way, they call foul. I realise that combat logging is considered cheating by some but still - you play your way, I'll play mine. What have you lost? Really?

Here's a relevant, somewhat later, quote from Sandro:
Yea thats the thread i found the link in.. but there is not actual reference to the legitimatcy of ungracfull exits in the thread quoted from sandros one that im sure did say they considered it an exploit and essentialy fueld the never ending war agains the loggers and the gankers so to speak lol

Im not dissgussing the morality or relevance of combat logging complaints here. Im diggusing the legitimacy of it in frontiers eyes. I can smell the potential for derailment. Please dont help it along i beg you

So we can have some kind of Spicie response to a newly re-found irritant? What good could come from a discussion like this? None. Just a breading ground for Butt-hurtz.

FD have said it, everyone has said it, but I'll say it again: Combat Logging is bad. Mmmmkay?

CLing wasn't inveted by Commanders. CLing didn;t appear with E|D. Combat logging happens in all games. It really can't be stopped. Move on.

I've never really understood the depth of passion regarding combat logging. As has been mentioned above, if someone does this, consider it a win and move on. So what if someone chooses to pull their network cable rather than face the rebuy? How exactly does it affect you?

I have never combat logged, but I must admit that I cannot say with 100% certainty that I'd never do it. I played for many years in solo and Mobius and have over the last 6 months or so been playing almost exclusively in Open, dropping only to Mobius when mining or visiting Shinrata/Engineers. Although I play in open, I consider my playstyle to be "solo with the opportunity to make friends". I have absolutely no desire to be someone else's content and although I have billions in the bank, I really don't want the inconvenience of the rebuy screen.

I find it amusing that a lot of the people who would cause someone to consider combat logging justify their reasoning as "it's part of the game, I'm playing it my way" and yet when others play it their way, they call foul. I realise that combat logging is considered cheating by some but still - you play your way, I'll play mine. What have you lost? Really?
Well... if i want to cliam your bounty.. you need to go boom. If you combat logg i cant claim your bounty.. there for it effects me.

But can we not let this decent to deeply into the moralistic arguments for it and focus on if it is infact still considered an exploit by fromtier and that many other thing said over the years by frontier on this forum clarifying there stance on what they consider legitimate game play is still valid.

Well... if i want to cliam your bounty.. you need to go boom. If you combat logg i cant claim your bounty.. there for it effects me.

But can we not let this decent to deeply into the moralistic arguments for it and focus on if it is infact still considered an exploit by fromtier and that many other thing said over the years by frontier on this forum clarifying there stance on what they consider legitimate game play is still valid.

I have no bounty on me, so yeah - no effect for you.

I don't think you're going to avoid the descent into discussion of the morality, as I said in my post, I've never really understood the passion that seems to go with it. If FDev do reply, you'll be able to jump immediately to their post by clickin on the little Dev Post flag that will appear on the thread, so don't sweat it and just let the conversation evolve naturally.

Top Bottom