Combat, ranking issue?

Hi, i've had a break and returned to do some combat, the last of the 3 to master. So i'm at a CNB taking on Elites and deadly ships and i am curently only expert. The ranking up seems very slow, ive only gone from 34 up to 41 and have taken down a dozen ships or so. Looking at this table i dont think i am getting the full points for each ship i destroy https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Combat

Is this old information now or am I missing something? thx

(PS not in a rush or anything but if i am grinding at a CNB for a bit i at least want to know i am getting the right rewards )

Do you have any NPC crew, as they take a share of your combat points?

Otherwise, destroying Elite and Deadly ships if you are ranked Master should be progressing you reasonably quickly... The chart in your link is outdated, but only because you actually do get some combat points even from the lower ranked ships. Not much, but some.

That said, each time you increase your rank progress to the next gets significantly slower, with the progress from Deadly to Elite the equivalent of Harmless to Deadly! So, yes, expect it to take noticeably longer each time you rank up.

no crew Faded Glory. Yeah i'm expert but am sure not getting 2 points for Elite kill as illustrated in the link, 1.5 maybe and after killing a couple of deadly the number hasnt budged. Seems slow progress considerirng my rank. I did have a crew member last year for a while until i noticed the points they were taking. So i fired them!.

Well, the points don't correspond directly to percentage increase.

As I said, each rank will require significantly more points to complete than the previous one, with Deadly to Elite requiring the same number of points as all the other ranks combined before it. In other words, when you hit Deadly you are only half way to Elite.

I don't think anybody knows the exact number of points required at each rank, nor the actual difference in points required for each rank, but I presume (and I could be wrong!) it's basically twice as many points to progress a new rank as it was the previous one. So if it progresses in a linear fashion (and I don't know that it does exactly), then Harmless to Mostly Harmless might be just 20 points, then another 40 points to get to Novice and so on, meaning it would take an additional 320 points to get from Expert to Master (bearing in mind that your progress from day 1 has taken you that amount of points in total), and then another 1200 points to get from Dangerous to Deadly. Add all those points up and you end up with around 2500, meaning the wiki figure of approximately 2200 to get from Deadly to Elite seems about right.

Hope this makes sense. Basically it takes twice as long (as in twice as many points) to complete each rank progression, so the percentage progression bar will seem like it's taking twice as long to fill up.

(Just to emphasize, these actual numbers are just guesses on my part.) :)

Combat is still a slow progression, I've read somewhere that killing Thargoids can speed it up, can't vouch for that personally.

If combat is your gig, then work your way through the combat ships; Vulture, FAS, Python (technically multi-purpose but an all MC rig can put lead downrange quite fast) and Corvette worked for me. A fully-grown Corvette against NPCs is overkill and you can rack up kills quick.

Combat is still a slow progression, I've read somewhere that killing Thargoids can speed it up, can't vouch for that personally.

If combat is your gig, then work your way through the combat ships; Vulture, FAS, Python (technically multi-purpose but an all MC rig can put lead downrange quite fast) and Corvette worked for me. A fully-grown Corvette against NPCs is overkill and you can rack up kills quick.
Scouts work, not so much interceptors.

The number of ships you need to kill for each rank goes up exponentially. You can't say that you get x% for each kill because it's different for each rank. As an example, it takes around 3500 kills of upper ranked ships (as found in CNB) to get to deadly, then another 3000 to get to Elite, so Deadly is roughly the half-way mark.

Comparing CNB, Haz RES and high RES, the fastest ranking is in the high RES if you force a spawn of small ships by re-instancing. Not only do you get more ships to shoot, but the police help you to speed things along.

Use long-range pulse lasers and long-range sensors to be able to claim the kills before the police get them. Remember, you only need to land a shot within 20 seconds of the ship exploding to get the points. A fast ship is also an advantage to get to the fight the other side of the field before the police finish. I prefer an FDL. Also, a fast ship guarantees that you can escape when you mess up and shoot the feds by mistake or target the wrong ship, which happens often when you're doing race-killing.

Apart from the Kudos, there are only disadvantages from having Elite rank in combat.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies.

yeah i understand how it all works with repect to you, have been playing on and of since 2014. Having not concentrated on combat too much i am suprised how slow progress is going on that chart in the link and using it as a rough guide.

Ive just spend and hour killing 3 elites and 2 deadlies and ive jumped from 41 to 43 in expert rank. That guide suggets a much bigger leap. If thats how it is then fine but i'd hate to be putting in any effort and not getting whats due for whatever reason (i did check to make sure i had fired that crew pilot!), thx

Combat is a pretty hardcore grind if it's all you do.
I found it so hard after reaching Deadly I went off and unlocked the Federal Corvette.
That made the 20 Elite kills per 1% rank progression a lot faster.

Combat is a pretty hardcore grind if it's all you do.
I found it so hard after reaching Deadly I went off and unlocked the Federal Corvette.
That made the 20 Elite kills per 1% rank progression a lot faster.

yeah it seems so, i've not really got into combat much but have enjoyed pvp in other games so really its a good chance to explore combat and movement - trying to stay on a ships tail etc while ranking up. When i retun to Elite after a break i usually do different stuff, last time was exploring, then flying FA off and firstly was trading (took me back to original Elite on the spectrum). So this time its combat to try and Master and play with differnt build/ships maybe.

Top Bottom