Coming Soon to Planet Coaster: Thememaker's Toolkit

for example there should be a limit of how many vertizes can be uploaded second life goes by 95k is the max for one model, the heavy the item and more of the items it will cause performance drops so in order to reduce this I think they should put on steam profile expert modeling that way we will know. I am not sure how .fbx files work I am still looking into that I use .dae files.

Both files are full scene formats. So i am also wondering what the differences are...

...After checking this out i just learned that DAE is abandoned by it's creator Sony, and made it open source but still happens to have some problems like several bugs. Also, FBX files happens to be a lot more universal since most 3D software use this format.

What software are you using? Does it not have a FBX export option?

Can the toolkit handle animated textures? Has it option for Alpha , and deformation maps like vektordisplacement, normal and bumpmaps? I hope ur planing on expanding the toolkit to give us options to build own rides coasters and have access to some ingame mechanics. Hope dies last[yum]

Have asked the same about Height, OA, metallic and Roughness maps (no answer yet), but vektor displacement is a level more advanced. I know that 3D model/render software have these, but not sure about game engines to be honest. It would be awesome though...

...Apparently it does exist in game engines.
- UE4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm13tOJmdG4
- Unity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CHpv4i6rbs
- Extra cool info for anyone interested http://support.nextlimit.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#content/view/1475519

Just like animated textures. We could do amazing stuff with this[woah] Let's hope for it[big grin]

Last edited:
Good to see this introduce. Hopefully it one step closure to frontier allowing us to play with the cobra engine itself one day.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
@Bo Marit

Creating rides didn't seem complicated to RCT3 players. Why should planet coaster be any different?
Both the Cobra engine and the design of rides in the game are fundamentally changed and updated since RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. The engine is still called Cobra but under the hood it is completely different.

As such, adding rides isn’t the same compared to RCT3.

@Bo Marit

Creating rides didn't seem complicated to RCT3 players. Why should planet coaster be any different?

in addition to what Joel said, making flatrides for RCT3 was no easy feat. Off course the importing process itself wasn't that exciting, but it costs the amazing community of coders years to come up with such a tool. You seem to talk about it as if you could make flatrides with the flick of a wrist.

Alright, one more inquiry :

Is it allowed to use Planet Coaster - what do you call this? - assets?
For example, can we create statues of king coaster, or Princess Amelia?
If so, are there boundaries to this? A line not to cross

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Alright, one more inquiry :

Is it allowed to use Planet Coaster - what do you call this? - assets?
For example, can we create statues of king coaster, or Princess Amelia?
If so, are there boundaries to this? A line not to cross
That will most likely be covered by the TOS (Terms of Service), which will be published later this year.

in addition to what Joel said, making flatrides for RCT3 was no easy feat. Off course the importing process itself wasn't that exciting, but it costs the amazing community of coders years to come up with such a tool. You seem to talk about it as if you could make flatrides with the flick of a wrist.
My opinion throughout:

Not easy is one thing, but if we're being denied ride-making tools on the grounds that it's too hard for us? That's a drastically different issue, and the RCT3 ride-makers in the PlanCo customer base prove that it's not true.

It's early days -- hopefully after a few months of use and working out issues Frontier will again expand what we can do with the game. But much as I'd like to adopt a "wait & see" approach, I note how much went from variations on "it's early, wait & see, give 'em time" directly to "it's been too long, its unreasonable to expect it, some people do nothing but complain" etc.

I believe that the original defs still have their own projects like rides in their agenda. It will be an annoying experience for them to see that volunteer asset creators come up with similar rides before the original defs do.

So maybe within a later stadium of the toolkit rides will be possible to. Depending on how long they are planing to bring rides to the game themselves.

Both files are full scene formats. So i am also wondering what the differences are...

...After checking this out i just learned that DAE is abandoned by it's creator Sony, and made it open source but still happens to have some problems like several bugs. Also, FBX files happens to be a lot more universal since most 3D software use this format.

What software are you using? Does it not have a FBX export option?

Have asked the same about Height, OA, metallic and Roughness maps (no answer yet), but vektor displacement is a level more advanced. I know that 3D model/render software have these, but not sure about game engines to be honest. It would be awesome though...

...Apparently it does exist in game engines.
- UE4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm13tOJmdG4
- Unity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CHpv4i6rbs
- Extra cool info for anyone interested http://support.nextlimit.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#content/view/1475519

Just like animated textures. We could do amazing stuff with this[woah] Let's hope for it[big grin]

Yeah I use blender and they do have .fbx but I have not messed with that file format,
I wish planet coaster was more like second life.
where you can make money for your creations they use a system called linden dollars.
but I have been creating for years and made me a decent amount of income to quit my normal job and got me a part time fun job at kings island. yes I wanted to work at kings island and I get 4 months off work a year.

But blender is about to get a massive update thats going to change the ui and everything else with it so if we have noobs coming to blender now when the update hits at the end of the year when it said its going to mess them up.

but frontier could totally change the way this platform is to make some serious money they need to look into second life.
they are also going to cloud server as well they are making the move. there is roller coasters in second life two which is funny.
I am just stating that there is so much more that can actually be done.
second life is a virtual world people live in it everyday, but there is also 3d creators making a real life earning doing so.
from houses to cars to stores you name it, but they also make avaters which by the way looks better then planet coasters guests. lmao but everything is done in mesh. I am not sure if fbx is mesh or not. I never messed with that so it is new to me almost as planet coaster is new to me, but the bright side is that if planet coaster went to server side we would not need such a demanding computer this was proven with second life it was first like planet coaster then the changed was made. now instead you upload directly through second life. but second life has what you call a market place to sell all your creations from tvs to coffee makers. its endless. they have what you call sims which is a land like what we have for making parks but the difference is you can actually walk around with your friends and go into buildings etc.

also to note, when creating in blender please use the scale and create to realistic size don't do want planet coaster does by creating buildings ten times taller then the guests lmfao its unrealistic.

Last edited:
I was reading on steam where Joël - hi Joël - replied the following to someone:

"Please be aware that the Thememaker’s Toolkit does not support effects and lights, so no explosions, fire, FTL effects, water effects etc."

This now makes me wonder how to read the statement in the FAQ about no new particles and special effects being able.
It says 'no new' , so I figured the ones already in game could be used, but now I think I read that the wrong way. Or not?

Just realised it would have been better to post this there. Sorry.
(not going to though, because high chance of being redundant, I also just realised :-D )
(this may be deleted)

Okay, so it just hit me that I did 100%, no doubt read it the wrong way . We've got no access to the ones that are in game, so it just means to say we can't instead create our own. Duh !
Always forgiven on a Monday right....

Last edited:
did anyone knows how many L-O-Ds one model should have and how many bones could be used for animated objects?

From the FAQ: "What are the limitations of models we can create?
We will have more information on limitations closer to the release date of the Thememaker's Toolkit, which will be later this year."

Stay tuned :)

I am starting to really hope lighting and other effects will be unlocked. I mean how are you going to complete themes without doing so. the lighting in the game is still very plain and none of the modern usa lights are added. I was walking around at work today which is kings Island and none of the lights there are in planet coaster this is such a bummer. not to mention there benchs are not in here either.
or gives us a option like second life has with there building system where you can take are shapes and resize them and do all kind of things like make them hollow flat or even make them glow
if they want to know more about this I can post videos to show how it works. but you can even make the objects transparent. which works as windows or just a simply light and they also use hex colors.

FBX Bundle 1.5.0 is out!

“ . . . we are expecting to support .fbx created in Autodesk Maya, but we are looking at other packages like Autodesk 3DS Max and Blender as well.”

Potentially great news for Blender users:
FBX Bundle 1.5.0 is out! ( BlenderNation article link, direct link. )

splash_1.5.0_blendernation.jpg

FBX Bundle addon batch exports your object selection into file bundles by a common identifier. It is easy to use and requires just a single click to export or update game assets to your game engine.

Optional modifiers allow to automate game engine optimisations such as LOD generation, mesh optimisations or creation of collider meshes.

What's new in version 1.5.0:
  • New modifiers system: Any of these active export modifiers are applied upon export
  • New platform system: Unity, Unreal, Collada, glTF
  • glTF support (requires official glTF addon)
  • New pivot mode: Empty plain axis object.
  • Include children: Auto select grouped objects e.g. in scene mode, group mode, parent mode
  • Re-Export button: Re-Exports previous objects again

Top Bottom