Community crafted content and missions

So this idea keeps bouncing back to my mind.

I think the game would really benefit from some hand crafted narrative content.

My suggestion is to make a tiered platform that would enable story driven collaborative content creation to be added to the Elite universe.

These missions would differ from standard missions / content because they would contain multimedia content and by tapping into the diaspora of imaginations, life experiences and outlooks of the community we could see some really great stories and perhaps even some unique gameplay

Obviously F-Dev would need to provide a final content sign off (because the last thing the game needs is a mission chain about resurrecting space Hitler on the dark side of the moon)

But...

There are enough people who are smart enough, talented enough and passionate enough about Elite to make some really great content.

And I don't mean big content - the big stuff is F-Dev - but they don't have the capacity to get down to the granular level. The individual stories that don't effect the galaxy, factions, at all, but are all the same, deeply engaging.

That could be really cool and they could leverage already made builder code from thier other titles to do it. That's pretty cool as a "down the line" suggestion.

so how much resources do you think FDev would be willing to allocate to something like this?

First they need to create some sorts of tools for the community to start creating these stories...

Then wait for people to start using these, which means they need to give some sort of support for this.How would the content creators test this new content?

Then they have to validate the content, which again takes resources...

And this is before we start to look into legal stuff where content creators blatantly could use others copyrighted material, and if FDev publishes this content in the game they could be held liable for this...so this puts an even bigger pressure on FDev to check the material before they publish it, and how can they make sure that you did not rip off my story I created for a little known game many years ago? and the legal costs for this sorts of things tend to be costly and take time.

so how much resources do you think FDev would be willing to allocate to something like this?

Given that Fdev will have people generating content for them, free of charge they stand to see a very healthy ROI

First they need to create some sorts of tools for the community to start creating these stories...

They just need to enable an in engine creative mode that enables limited object spawning, and allows people to essentially record macros and states, similar to how Hitman does it - that's cheap as chips

Then wait for people to start using these, which means they need to give some sort of support for this.How would the content creators test this new content?

Creators would need to complete their missions in order to create them, thus content testing would not be required

Then they have to validate the content, which again takes resources...

Missions generated by recording steps in engine would not require additional validation

And this is before we start to look into legal stuff where content creators blatantly could use others copyrighted material, and if FDev publishes this content in the game they could be held liable for this...

A simple disclaimer would negate this issue entirely.

Creators are told they are responsible for their own content - players required to agree to tos in order to access creator content.

How many people have made star wars crap in minecraft and shared it plenty

so this puts an even bigger pressure on FDev to check the material before they publish it, and how can they make sure that you did not rip off my story I created for a little known game many years ago? and the legal costs for this sorts of things tend to be costly and take time.

Again, not an issue, a basic once over of added text / audio content can be done via a bot, which is able to auto flag and reject any content violations detected.

These are cheap, and already in use by fdev

Given that Fdev will have people generating content for them, free of charge they stand to see a very healthy ROI

They just need to enable an in engine creative mode that enables limited object spawning, and allows people to essentially record macros and states, similar to how Hitman does it - that's cheap as chips

Creators would need to complete their missions in order to create them, thus content testing would not be required

Missions generated by recording steps in engine would not require additional validation

A simple disclaimer would negate this issue entirely.

Creators are told they are responsible for their own content - players required to agree to tos in order to access creator content.

How many people have made star wars crap in minecraft and shared it plenty

Again, not an issue, a basic once over of added text / audio content can be done via a bot, which is able to auto flag and reject any content violations detected.

These are cheap, and already in use by fdev

OK, if you say so, but I would not hold my breath that this will happen...

And as your reference to user created Star Wars stuff in Minecraft, where did Mojang distribute that?
Do not confuse licensed content delivered by Mojang with USER created content, that is NOT delivered by Mojang.

OK, if you say so, but I would not hold my breath that this will happen...

And as your reference to user created Star Wars stuff in Minecraft, where did Mojang distribute that?
Do not confuse licensed content delivered by Mojang with USER created content, that is NOT delivered by Mojang.

The whole point is to enable user created content

The whole point is to enable user created content

I got that, and told you why this is very unlikely to happen, as there are quite alot of copyright issues that can arise from these sorts of things, that cannot simply be solved with some arbitrarily TOS etc.

What other multiplayer online games offers this sort of user created content in the game?
there are plenty of single player games that have various such support, but very few multiplayer games...

I got that, and told you why this is very unlikely to happen, as there are quite alot of copyright issues that can arise from these sorts of things, that cannot simply be solved with some arbitrarily TOS etc.

What other multiplayer online games offers this sort of user created content in the game?
there are plenty of single player games that have various such support, but very few multiplayer games...

I'm more than happy to have a chin wag about the ins and out of community created content, but I'm not gonna have a debate about legals with a somewhat misinformed armchair lawyer.

I will say that It's perfectly legal for a company to act as platform and shirk all responsibility in relation to copyright Infringement provided they are willing to uphold DMCA claims against individual users.

Thats why YouTube is full of pirated content and there are many fleet carriers and ships that use trade mark names in Elite.

I'm more than happy to have a chin wag about the ins and out of community created content, but I'm not gonna have a debate about legals with a somewhat misinformed armchair lawyer.

I will say that It's perfectly legal for a company to act as platform and shirk all responsibility in relation to copyright Infringement provided they are willing to uphold DMCA claims against individual users.

Thats why YouTube is full of pirated content and there are many fleet carriers and ships that use trade mark names in Elite.

Oh boy. do you even understand the difference between trademark and copyright?

It's lacking in multiplayer games not because of copyright issues, but of fairness. People have used custom content to give themselves an unfair advantage (wallhax by just making the texture transparent, etc) which ruins the fun of anyone else.

Copyright's got jack s**t to do with it; What you do with the product you purchased or obtained is on you, and it's up to you to fix the problems that those modifications bring. If you wanna make the Taipain into an X-wing, go for it, but it's your fault if the game crashes every time you try and dock the fighter.

It's lacking in multiplayer games not because of copyright issues, but of fairness. People have used custom content to give themselves an unfair advantage (wallhax by just making the texture transparent, etc) which ruins the fun of anyone else.

Copyright's got jack s**t to do with it; What you do with the product you purchased or obtained is on you, and it's up to you to fix the problems that those modifications bring. If you wanna make the Taipain into an X-wing, go for it, but it's your fault if the game crashes every time you try and dock the fighter.

That is a reason why very few online games have modding support to begin with. but that was not what this suggestion was about, it was about FDev to create tools to allow users to create new content for the game, supply it to FDev, so that FDev can check the content and if FDev approved the new content, add it to the game. this is very different from you replacing some texture files on your client to change how things looks.

That is a reason why very few online games have modding support to begin with. but that was not what this suggestion was about, it was about FDev to create tools to allow users to create new content for the game, supply it to FDev, so that FDev can check the content and if FDev approved the new content, add it to the game. this is very different from you replacing some texture files on your client to change how things looks.

No, you don't supply the content to fdev to have them approve it. Projects are created via collaboration, and are policed via a simple moderator system - just like a forum.

Complex tools are not required as you simply use the game engine (modified with spawn and record player abilities) to generate / craft the mission gameplay - and forum space to organise the additional content

It would increase the player base substantially, and make the game much better

No, you don't supply the content to fdev to have them approve it. Projects are created via collaboration, and are policed via a simple moderator system - just like a forum.

Complex tools are not required as you simply use the game engine (modified with spawn and record player abilities) to generate / craft the mission gameplay - and forum space to organise the additional content

It would increase the player base substantially, and make the game much better

This does not matches what you wrote earliers...

theBreadSultan said:
Obviously F-Dev would need to provide a final content sign off

So do or do not FDev approve the new content?

Then we have this, what multiemedia are you talking about?

theBreadSultan said:
These missions would differ from standard missions / content because they would contain multimedia content

This hints that you are talking about some audio visual stuff.. and now you are talking about hoilding of this stuff in forums....

This does not matches what you wrote earliers...

So do or do not FDev approve the new content?

Then we have this, what multiemedia are you talking about?

This hints that you are talking about some audio visual stuff.. and now you are talking about hoilding of this stuff in forums....

There is a big difference between approving content on a detailed basis and signing something off

They key focus, would be collaborative content. Each aspect of the crafted mission would require 'points'.

A single player / creator would have a set amount of points to start with

Each crafted mission would generate a unique mission ID. Commanders can then give votes to ideas they like, the votes turn into points

The greater the points the more things can be added to the mission

An interesting idea. How would the created content work for Xbox and PlayStation?

I see no reason why you couldn't use console.

Elite creative mode would be a completely dead galaxy.

No other ships, no missions.
You would have to fly yourself to the relevant locations you wish to use, and then via a menu, 'spawn in' the elements of your mission.

First validation would be that player completing the mission themselves

Oh I see, it would be an in game tool. Awesome, I assumed it would be a separate PC only tool like the ones from Bethesda. If it's done and implemented correctly Then I see no reason why it shouldn't work. (y)

Top Bottom