Community Event Calendar Now Live!

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Greetings Commanders!

I'm happy to announce that the Community Event Calendar is now live and awaiting your event submissions:

https://www.elitedangerous.com/community/events

We're excited to see how you as a community use this tool, and I'm looking forward to hearing feedback on how we can potentially develop this further, if it proves useful to players. The calendar is currently set up to accept a range of event types, from races to mining meetups. At the moment, events can't last for months at a time - this is something we've already noted for a potential phase 2 of the calendar, but for now, if you're running an expedition, I suggest entering the dates for your event as a 'starting period' or 'sign up' period, and you're welcome to put the full date range in the description.

All events submitted into the calendar will be subject to approval, which may take a few days, so make sure to get your event in well ahead of time. There will also be a set of FAQ's to answer anything that you may be thinking of on the page, but if you have a question that's not covered there, please let me know.

The calendar also has some functionality to add an event to your personal calendar, so that you don't forget about your upcoming activity!

I'll be monitoring the calendar activity and questions around it closely over the next few weeks, so I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback.

o7

How do we edit an event if its date changes (e.g. my Wiccan BeWare Race)?

EDIT - Nevermind, found it in the FAQ.

SUGGESTION - When editing the date of an event it seems a shame that fields like Description are mandatory, do I have to provide all the details again, even just for a date edit?

Last edited:

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
How do we edit an event if its date changes (e.g. my Wiccan BeWare Race)?

EDIT - Nevermind, found it in the FAQ.

SUGGESTION - When editing the date of an event it seems a shame that fields like Description are mandatory, do I have to provide all the details again, even just for a date edit?
Hey Alec, we can change that for sure, was that in the support form?

Hey this is fantastic! I hope the folks like the Fleet Carrier Owners Club will consider using it.

I see from clicking through you can subscribe to individual events to add them to a calendar. It would be great to get some sort of API access to the calendar events - e.g. an iCalendar feed or even an RSS feed or even just JSON feed - for the entire calendar.

Ideally it would be great to be able to subscribe to it in apps like Google Calendar / iCal / using an iCalendar feed to be reminded of events - I would love to add the feed to ICARUS Terminal if we had something like that!

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Hey this is fantastic! I hope the folks like the Fleet Carrier Owners Club will consider using it.

I see from clicking through you can subscribe to individual events to add them to a calendar. It would be great to get some sort of API access to the calendar events - e.g. an iCalendar feed or even an RSS feed or even just JSON feed - for the entire calendar.

Ideally it would be great to be able to subscribe to it in apps like Google Calendar / iCal / using an iCalendar feed to be reminded of events - I would love to add the feed to ICARUS Terminal if we had something like that!

Yep that's something we're aware of for future phases!

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
This is such a great addition. It'll be great to see events in one location, so thanks to the team, and yourself, for making this possible. :) 👍

Well, it does not crash it, it does come back.. after an awful long time. In the meanwhile it stops all the tabs working, and you get the windows 'not responding message'...

Greetings Commanders!

I'm happy to announce that the Community Event Calendar is now live and awaiting your event submissions:

https://www.elitedangerous.com/community/events

We're excited to see how you as a community use this tool, and I'm looking forward to hearing feedback on how we can potentially develop this further, if it proves useful to players. The calendar is currently set up to accept a range of event types, from races to mining meetups. At the moment, events can't last for months at a time - this is something we've already noted for a potential phase 2 of the calendar, but for now, if you're running an expedition, I suggest entering the dates for your event as a 'starting period' or 'sign up' period, and you're welcome to put the full date range in the description.

All events submitted into the calendar will be subject to approval, which may take a few days, so make sure to get your event in well ahead of time. There will also be a set of FAQ's to answer anything that you may be thinking of on the page, but if you have a question that's not covered there, please let me know.

The calendar also has some functionality to add an event to your personal calendar, so that you don't forget about your upcoming activity!

I'll be monitoring the calendar activity and questions around it closely over the next few weeks, so I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback.

o7
Zac - can you make sure that you get the firefox crashed fixed ASAP please. I know it isn't anyone's fault but to be honest not planning to test on firefox is inexcusable - if it was tested the issue would have been found quite quickly.

I'm experiencing numerous issues with the latest Firefox release on more websites than just this one. I use Firefox almost exclusively too, and something ain't right. I have the exact same freezing issue on some client websites that worked fine and still work fine on Edge/Chrome, etc. but now Firefox just freezes. I don't think this is Frontier's fault.

Last edited:
My firefox browser is also going frozing with this calendar. Tried Edge and it works there. Dunno what is behind problems in FF, but since it makes whole FF unresponding, is this calendar not usable for me atm.

It totally froze up Firefox (all windows) for me for maybe 10 seconds, which it really really shouldn't be able to do (Firefox puts different windows into different processes these days) so that's on Firefox rather than the site. However, the site probably is doing something a little odd in order to trigger it but I haven't looked.
Once it loaded it seemed to just work.
To my surprise (having read the comments above), the FF memory usage and indeed the overall system memory usage didn't do anything at all during the freeze.

I'm experiencing numerous issues with the latest Firefox release on more websites than just this one. I use Firefox almost exclusively too, and something ain't right. I have the exact same freezing issue on some client websites that worked fine and still work fine on Edge/Chrome, etc. but now Firefox just freezes. I don't think this is Frontier's fault.
it is certainly the only site that I have the problem with on Firefox - i do a fair bit of browsing and have no problems with any of them.

Top Bottom