News Community Goals over the following weeks (13/03)

If you fine folks at Frontier could release one more major bug patch before starting your first big "development-supported event", that would be really wonderful :D
Hear hear, and if you have 5 minutes left after fixing shadows for duck, perhaps you could stop ship pips being reset to 3-0-3 after you've been in the SRV ... I mean come on, that's got to take literally 5 minutes to fix.

Last edited:
nice for the gankers and griefers
i just wish something would change and the CG more of a social interaction with other players so evrybody can come out of hiding (like me)

Please CG writer-of-the-future, make the events morally dubious and give us a change from neutral (and dull) tasks like build stations etc.

Put the players in a rock / hard place conundrum, and engineer it so inaction either makes you poor by not contributing, or impacts the ED galaxy in such a way you regret not participating for that side.

You have 11 Powerplay Tier 1 NPCs who are fantastically balanced with both light and dark aspects, please use them!

You had Peter Andre / NuVal (New +Duval :D) challenge ALD. The story went no-where and was poorly thought out. You should have given the Imperial player a temptation to change allegiances, and produced blowback from killing an unarmed prisoner.

But think big, and creatively!

Rubbernuke has some good ideas here. The storylines really need work. They need to mean something to the player base. There are dozens of these storylines that have run weeks or months in galnet and then just die without ever impacting a single player in any way. Now I don't agree that not participating in community events should negatively effect a player but I do think that participation should substantially reward a player. The truth is, the reward structure for the CGs is garbage and a waste of time. If I am going to spend a week doing anything I better be making at least 100 million a day. I can easily make 100million an hour left to my own so getting 25-35 million or so for a weeks work is a joke and not worth it to anyone who has the option of mining, piracy or doing passenger missions. Hell, even road to riches would pay like 4x that much. People won't do community goals unless is benefits them MORE than the other options they have. Pretty simple concept really. Also, the compensation doesn't have to be credits. Engineering materials are in many ways more valuable than credits and if rewards were given, for example, as a type or credit I could trade to the mat traders for the mats I WANT. Now you would have lots of people more interested in CGs. You couldn't be cheap with the mats or it wouldn't work either but if people could do a cg and be guaranteed a minimum of say 50 mats of their choice up to say a max of 300 mats of their choice (with most people getting like 150 mats of their choice for the week)you would have half the player base at the CGs.

The truth is, the reward structure for the CGs is garbage and a waste of time. If I am going to spend a week doing anything I better be making at least 100 million a day. I can easily make 100million an hour left to my own so getting 25-35 million or so for a weeks work is a joke and not worth it to anyone who has the option of mining, piracy or doing passenger missions.

I don't think this would make that much difference.

There have *always* been far more financially rewarding things to do than CGs. Some of them have been very popular nevertheless. And because core mining is both highly paid and widely known about, most people probably just do that to get the money. If a CG paid 100 million a day, then you'd basically need to do ... what, five or six of them to have enough money for every ship and a whole bunch of rebuys? Then what? Sure, some people are motivated by the concept of having 10 billion credits they have no use for rather than 5 billion credits they have no use for - but most people wouldn't be.

Similarly with materials. 150 grade 5 materials would be enough to get substantial stores of all of them in five or six weeks. There aren't many people who do so much engineering that 150 materials a week - or even 300 - is going to continue being rewarding in the long-term.

They should be higher paid - the payouts were set in 1.1 when everything else earned money slower, and haven't been touched much since - but I don't think it would make a significant difference to participation after the first few weeks. (If you look compare the squadron leaderboards between S1 and S2, there are quite clearly a lot of people who mined all the money they could ever use after 3.3 came out, and haven't needed to earn any since)

It would make a big difference to anyone who is fighting thargoids, bounty hunting, engaging in PvP, doing BGS, explorers needs fsd boost mats, or even powerplay participants. Mats go fast. It sounds like you don't do anything of these things and have no use for mats but you are in the minority here. You also think CGs are underpaid and think that paying more wouldn't help so I am not sure how you square that but I'll leave that one to you. What I can say, is attractive pay will attract more people and more people can buy the ships they want and equip them as they want so they can go do the things they like in elite rather than grind in the hopes of doing. That is the answer to "Then what?". Then they will start enjoying the game on their terms rather than the grind Fdev intends them to suffer and that apparently you agree with. CG's are a fail....a massive fail. The reason is because people are not being adequately compensated for their time and effort. An occasional successful CG doesn't demonstrate that CGs are working, it only demonstrates that occasionally Fdev comes up with something interesting enough (or close enough to many players) that a small fraction of the community decides to give it a go for a change of pace. It doesn't matter to me if Fdev takes the advice or not. if they don't it will continue to fail and I'll be perfectly fine with that as I have done perfectly fine in game without the CGs. However if they want to improve player participation, then they have to make it worth the players time and that means compensation in one form or another.

The cgs are currently poor and there needs to be clear rewards at the various changes levels.
The recent one out at Sag a was ridiculous with a day lost lost due to a dodgy mission board.
Of course we missed tier 11 but the only thing that was added to the station was a black market.
This type of shoddy workmanship needs to be removed from cgs and the entire game really.

Plenty players have suggestions so please pay attention for a change.
Prefer to not have more half baked rubbish that seems to infect game design meetings at fdevs.

Hear hear, and if you have 5 minutes left after fixing shadows for duck, perhaps you could stop ship pips being reset to 3-0-3 after you've been in the SRV ... I mean come on, that's got to take literally 5 minutes to fix.

Mine get reset to 4-0-2, which is pretty rubbish since I do my exploring in a shieldless Type-7. All pips to my non-existent shields and none to engines on a brick that needs to break gravity, yeah, that makes lots of sense :p

And why would my parked ship need pips to weapons, even if it had weapons?

Last edited:
It would make a big difference to anyone who is fighting thargoids, bounty hunting, engaging in PvP, doing BGS, explorers needs fsd boost mats, or even powerplay participants. Mats go fast. It sounds like you don't do anything of these things and have no use for mats but you are in the minority here.
Most of those activities require an upfront investment of mats to get an engineered ship, but don't then use a lot of materials for ongoing activity. I've done a lot of engineering of my ships for various purposes ... but I've now done that engineering, and don't need to do it again. I threw about 20,000 (mostly low-grade) mats into the Colonia engineers on modules I just discarded and re-did afterwards, to boost their available grades, without needing to spend more than a few hours replenishing my stockpiles afterwards.

Explorers only need FSD boosts on the distant regions of the galaxy - and sure, dropping in to do a CG once in a while might be a way to stock up, but you can get them easily while out there without having to make a massive round trip, by looking for volcanism sites.

You also think CGs are underpaid and think that paying more wouldn't help so I am not sure how you square that but I'll leave that one to you.
I think paying more would be sensible as it would bring them into line with other general earning methods (by which I mean the ones in the 5-10 million range, not the 50-100 million one) - and various other activities developed early on such as Powerplay and CQC would similarly benefit - but anyone actually wanting money would still be better doing something else, and so probably would continue to do something else. I'm suggesting multiplying payouts by 10 would be good. To bring them into line with Void Opals would require considerably more than that.

The reason is because people are not being adequately compensated for their time and effort.
It's a computer game.

The compensation you receive for your time and effort - unless you're doing something against the Terms of Service - is 0.00, plus any actual fun you had in that time.

Increasing the credit payout doesn't change how fun the activity is at all - it just means that rather than complaints about "having to grind Void Opals to make money" we'd see complaints about "having to grind CGs to make money". And then, according to you:
What I can say, is attractive pay will attract more people and more people can buy the ships they want and equip them as they want so they can go do the things they like in elite rather than grind in the hopes of doing. That is the answer to "Then what?".
...they would, having made enough money for their needs, stop doing the CGs again.

Conversely, people do Powerplay, do PvP, go exploring (not road to riches), fight Thargoids, etc. ... despite all of those things having terrible credit/material rewards. Why? Because they're fun.

I fully agree that it should be relatively easy to get the money and materials you need to do the in-game activities you actually find fun. But I think CGs should, by and large, be the activity you do once you've got the money you need because they're fun, not the activity you do to get that money.

Oh man ! This one is really annoying indeed !

I think paying more would be sensible as it would bring them into line with other general earning methods (by which I mean the ones in the 5-10 million range, not the 50-100 million one) - and various other activities developed early on such as Powerplay and CQC would similarly benefit - but anyone actually wanting money would still be better doing something else, and so probably would continue to do something else. I'm suggesting multiplying payouts by 10 would be good. To bring them into line with Void Opals would require considerably more than that.

FDev will have to find a way to give a sense to credits then...

I'm sitting on 1.5 billions credits and I have all the ships & modules I need. Would love to take part on long-term project where I need to inject credits and feel usefull & involved...fleet carriers could have been a good way to do it but they were reprioritize (DOOMED).

Can't wait to learn more about those new CGs...could be a good way to get the community more involved and have small story driven goals.

Wait & see.

*Sorry for the double post*

Last edited:
Please CG writer-of-the-future, make the events morally dubious and give us a change from neutral (and dull) tasks like build stations etc.

Put the players in a rock / hard place conundrum, and engineer it so inaction either makes you poor by not contributing, or impacts the ED galaxy in such a way you regret not participating for that side.

You have 11 Powerplay Tier 1 NPCs who are fantastically balanced with both light and dark aspects, please use them!

You had Peter Andre / NuVal (New +Duval :D) challenge ALD. The story went no-where and was poorly thought out. You should have given the Imperial player a temptation to change allegiances, and produced blowback from killing an unarmed prisoner.

But think big, and creatively!

Not sure which lost me faster, the morally dubious or Powerplay.

Also dubious about the impact the galaxy or civilisation wide personal impact from a CG as that tends in my mind to make us individual too significant which is wrong for this game.

Top Bottom