[DW2] Community Goals

Perhaps I misunderstood. We asked FD to only take those mining-mats that cannot be bought anywhere, so probably there will be mineable commodities too. We do not yet know which though and what FD made out of our proposals. The problem with the "mined-only"-flag is, that with it present people will have problems with the wing-mining mechanics. Cause the materials cannot be exchanged between ships without losing the flag afaik.
That sounds like you wanted to request things like Osmium, Platinum, Bromellite,Alexandrite, etc. - the mining-only commodities - rather than any sort of materials.

(If they give you the mining-only materials - Boron, Lead, and Rhenium - you will not have a fun CG)

They could of course also ask for the Alexandrites of the galaxy and give us a field of exploding asteroids.

"All together now, 3. 2. 1."

COVAS "EJECT, EJECT, EJECT"

I started building my exploconda for mining to use on this expedition and this is the loadout so far. Any suggestions are very welcome, especially if the cargo is enough-ish or if more cargo would be strongly advised.

https://s.orbis.zone/1cle

info:
- Loadout also has 2 small abrasion things and 1 sub-surface that dont show.
- I plan to also take 2 lightweight weapons and keep the the 4A power plant (could go with the 3A).
- Plan to strengthen the shields, so some extra weight will be created.
- Plan to maybe upgrade distro or drives if there is room. Dont wanna drop below 70 LY unladen.

Room for changes:
- Can leave behind the extra tank for more cargo, but i would like to keep it for neutron travelling with spansh. Can do that until the station finishes, i guess.
- Can switch the 7 scoop for a 6 in order to carry more cargo, i guess i can leave with it until the station is completed, if i find a way to switch back.

I am thinking of leaving behind the mining gear, once the station is complete if it gets outfitting, otherwise can go to Colonia and back for that and continue the journey.
I know that the range impact is not so much, but i like exploring the edges of the galaxy and i like to have all the range i can. Normal setup has 75.5 unladen but can make 80+ jumps if needed.
I also plan to leave the bubble with cargo full of limpets to avoid synthesizing on the first run. Does it make sense, or it doesnt matter so much?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Would it be useful to bring a refinery ship? (I am missing the class "Refinery" ;p )
As in no prospecting or pretty boom equipment, just collector limpets, refinery and cargo space.
I was thinking there will be plenty of people with mining gear, because pretty boom... and most people simply can't fit a lot of cargo space.
So why not bring a T9 with 640 ton cargo space and 2 collector controllers? T9 Build
Or is it's better to bring a Big Rig like an anaconda set up to do many things with only 256 ton like this.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Now I've read a few things about transferring ships or modules?
How does that work? Because I set this T9 up to also be an explorer, but if I can transfer it I could just set it up as a full on miner and fly in my Phantom?
Kinda defeats the point imo... no?

Hey guys!

Would it be useful to bring a refinery ship? (I am missing the class "Refinery" ;p )
As in no prospecting or pretty boom equipment, just collector limpets, refinery and cargo space.
I was thinking there will be plenty of people with mining gear, because pretty boom... and most people simply can't fit a lot of cargo space.
So why not bring a T9 with 640 ton cargo space and 2 collector controllers? T9 Build
Or is it's better to bring a Big Rig like an anaconda set up to do many things with only 256 ton like this.
Any advice would be appreciated!

How does that work? Because I set this T9 up to also be an explorer, but if I can transfer it I could just set it up as a full on miner and fly in my Phantom?

The T9 seems like an option, but if you're going whole hog, five collectors may not be enough. Maybe swap the class 7 cargo with the class 5 collectors? Personally, I don't think I could supercruise in a T9 the length of the expedition without going insane, but to each his own.

As for outfitting, everything seems to be guesswork. We don't know exactly what's going on with how the station is being built, and when it will have what features unlocked. We also don't know the route, so we don't know if there are any existing stations within a thousand ly of the CGs. I'm not counting on being able to transfer ships until after the second CG, and maybe not even then. Transferring modules seems possible at some point, but we can't be sure.

Hi Saltamontes,

you can bring the T 9 rigged as a Transporter. However you will still need a refinery fitted. Otherwise you won't pe able to process the fragments you collect. Current plan for wing mining is to combine "Miners", "Prospectors" and "Sappers" with Refinery-Ships that can also store a lot of stuff. That seems to be the most effective way to collect as many mats as possible.
If FD give us a working Outfitting in the new station before the second CG begins, we either buy decent mining equipment there or have it transferred to that station once it is in place. But bear in mind that the transfer will take 3-4 days and won't be cheap.

If FD does not give us Outfitting before CG2, you'll have to drag your equipment all the way to the core. After CG2 there should be Outfitting though. So you can leave or sell all mining gear there and go on the second part of the expedition with an exploration outfit. If we get a Shipyard you could even have a decent exploration vessel transferred from the Bubble. That will at least take 3-4 days and cost millions and millions of credits. But I am considering that option for myself.

There are still a lot of "ifs", but FD are very tight-lipped about what they will give us and what not.

I started building my exploconda for mining to use on this expedition and this is the loadout so far. Any suggestions are very welcome, especially if the cargo is enough-ish or if more cargo would be strongly advised.

If you take a Refinery you should focus on more cargo-space. Taking a big-rig does not make much sense with only 64 t of cargo-capacity. We'll mine in wings, which means a lot of fragments to process. You'd have your hold full in no time with only 64 Tons.

If you want to take the Big-Rig / Refinery role, focus on a big A-grade refinery, lots of cargo-space and sacrifice some jumprange for that. After the CGs are finished you should be able to continue without all the gear that weighs you down and get your prime jumprange for the Abyss. It is still needed there in some places. I was at Beagle Point two months ago with a 74 ly Conda and there were still places where I could not plot through. Nothing like DW1 with only 35 ly range, but I could still feel the emptienss of that area of space.

Last edited:
The T9 seems like an option, but if you're going whole hog, five collectors may not be enough. Maybe swap the class 7 cargo with the class 5 collectors? Personally, I don't think I could supercruise in a T9 the length of the expedition without going insane, but to each his own.
As for outfitting, everything seems to be guesswork. We don't know exactly what's going on with how the station is being built, and when it will have what features unlocked. We also don't know the route, so we don't know if there are any existing stations within a thousand ly of the CGs. I'm not counting on being able to transfer ships until after the second CG, and maybe not even then. Transferring modules seems possible at some point, but we can't be sure.
Hi Saltamontes,
you can bring the T 9 rigged as a Transporter. However you will still need a refinery fitted. Otherwise you won't pe able to process the fragments you collect. Current plan for wing mining is to combine "Miners", "Prospectors" and "Sappers" with Refinery-Ships that can also store a lot of stuff. That seems to be the most effective way to collect as many mats as possible.
If FD give us a working Outfitting in the new station before the second CG begins, we either buy decent mining equipment there or have it transferred to that station once it is in place. But bear in mind that the transfer will take 3-4 days and won't be cheap.
If FD does not give us Outfitting before CG2, you'll have to drag your equipment all the way to the core. After CG2 there should be Outfitting though. So you can leave or sell all mining gear there and go on the second part of the expedition with an exploration outfit. If we get a Shipyard you could even have a decent exploration vessel transferred from the Bubble. That will at least take 3-4 days and cost millions and millions of credits. But I am considering that option for myself.
There are still a lot of "ifs", but FD are very tight-lipped about what they will give us and what not.

=================

It has a refinery mate, I called it a refinery class and mining in a wing is exactly why I made this. :D
Yeah getting a T9 there is a.. challenge.. But then I can say: Yes, I did that!! :D Plus I want to put my stamp on that station! ;)
I guess I'll just plan for no outfitting or shipyard and if there's something there then that's just a bonus. :)
If I can transfer my phantom there after the CG, I think I will. I don't mind paying a few mil and waiting a couple of days to continue with a 62ly jump range! ;D

Thank you guys for the advice, so I made THIS and now it has a max of 7 active limpets! It only has 512 tons of cargo though. Isn't that a bit low?...
Who here has wing mining experience and knows the "proper" limpets vs cargo space ratio?
Also should I hook up with the Rock Rats or something? (I have never joined a group in Elite...)

Also should I hook up with the Rock Rats or something? (I have never joined a group in Elite...)

You can either join the IMU or the Rock Rats or both. If you are mainly interested in mining the IMU would be the logical choice, cause the Rock Rats are doing other stuff (including other games) together. This is the link to the IMU Discord: https://discord.gg/jFcrtdj . The Rock Rat discord can be found here: https://discord.gg/CJGkFbB .

If you take a Refinery you should focus on more cargo-space. Taking a big-rig does not make much sense with only 64 t of cargo-capacity. We'll mine in wings, which means a lot of fragments to process. You'd have your hold full in no time with only 64 Tons.

If you want to take the Big-Rig / Refinery role, focus on a big A-grade refinery, lots of cargo-space and sacrifice some jumprange for that. After the CGs are finished you should be able to continue without all the gear that weighs you down and get your prime jumprange for the Abyss. It is still needed there in some places. I was at Beagle Point two months ago with a 74 ly Conda and there were still places where I could not plot through. Nothing like DW1 with only 35 ly range, but I could still feel the emptienss of that area of space.

Yes you are right makes sense. Cargo is too low.

I will be out with my ExploraPhantom, yet i'm quite interested in being a miner some way, i can have a D2 Mining Laser for this sole purpose.

Should i actually wing up or shooting asteroids around, close to other commanders will still do the job?

One last thing; will CG be strictly mining? Does surface prospecting with SRV count?

We requested a mining-CG, so no SRV prospection involved. Well, maybe for limpet-restock, but not for the CG. If you take mining lasers, you'll need to wing up with another Commander who can collect and refine. Once the CG starts, we will coordinate wings here and in the Fleetcomm discord.

Last edited:
We requested a mining-CG, so no SRV prospection involved. Well, maybe for limpet-restock, but not for the CG. If you take mining lasers, you'll need to wing up with another Commander who can collect and refine. Once the CG starts, we will coordinate wings here and in the Fleetcomm discord.

Great, then i'll ditch my SRV to compensate the weight of lasers as lasers will be much helpful to our "cause"

Thanks!

What are the chances we will be able to 'transfer' mining ships to waypoints 2 and 7? I REALLY want to participate, but I really DONT want to screw with my Exploraconda build I've been building and engineering for the last couple of months.

...and yes, I'm well aware it will take days and probably a billion credits to do it, but if we can, I will. Gotta spend that freshly acquired Void Opal cash on something. :)

Aloha Commanders!

I'm planning on joining DW2, and like to join the CG's as well.

Currently, I am engineering my Krait, the Maltese Falcon, for exploration, but I also am engineering a refinery, prospector and collector limpet.
That means I'll be leaving an AFMU, Repair Limpets and an FSD Booster behind.

I would like to know if the new Outpost near Sag A is likely to have Outfitting facilities
- because once mining is done, I'd like to transfer the mentioned equipment to the Outpost and re-equip it.
If this is unlikely or no one can tell, I'll just bring mining lasers, because I'm not going to fly to Beagle Point without at least an AFMU... I know myself good enough to know that I'll need it. :/

So, any idea?
(Yes, I know it might depend on what tier of the CG we could reach - but it would be pretty disappointing if Outfitting would turn out to be out of reach.)

@
Cmdr_Kersner
Maybe this is an option for you, too? ;)

Hey Solko,

Yeah, that would be an option, but considering we're looking at ~ week 7 being the 2nd mining CG, and probably at least another 10-15 waypoints after that's all done, I am not willing to risk it. I have 64 ton of cargo space in my Exploraconda so I can help out hauling refined cargo back and limpets out to one of the refinery ships if that'll help someone out, but am not going to leave gear behind that will become extremely valuable later in the expedition so I can haul mining gear across the galaxy (potentially).

Hopefully we'll get info on this before our start date so we can make some more educated decisions.

Thanks, and I'll see you out in the black!

What are the chances we will be able to 'transfer' mining ships to waypoints 2 and 7? I REALLY want to participate, but I really DONT want to screw with my Exploraconda build I've been building and engineering for the last couple of months.

...and yes, I'm well aware it will take days and probably a billion credits to do it, but if we can, I will. Gotta spend that freshly acquired Void Opal cash on something. :)

Aloha Commanders!

I'm planning on joining DW2, and like to join the CG's as well.

Currently, I am engineering my Krait, the Maltese Falcon, for exploration, but I also am engineering a refinery, prospector and collector limpet.
That means I'll be leaving an AFMU, Repair Limpets and an FSD Booster behind.

I would like to know if the new Outpost near Sag A is likely to have Outfitting facilities - because once mining is done, I'd like to transfer the mentioned equipment to the Outpost and re-equip it.
If this is unlikely or no one can tell, I'll just bring mining lasers, because I'm not going to fly to Beagle Point without at least an AFMU... I know myself good enough to know that I'll need it. :/

So, any idea?
(Yes, I know it might depend on what tier of the CG we could reach - but it would be pretty disappointing if Outfitting would turn out to be out of reach.)

@Cmdr_Kersner
Maybe this is an option for you, too?

You'll definitely be able to transfer modules to waypoint 2, and possibly* waypoint 7 (*not 100% guaranteed on the latter though just yet). However there will be no ship transfer options to waypoint 2, and possibly none for waypoint 7 either (again this may be subject to change depending on what FD's stance is on this, we're still waiting for confirmation).

I wrote this elsewhere but will post it here too...

One plan of action would be for miners to buy all the mining gear they can and store it in the bubble, then have it transferred to waypoint 2 when you arrive there for the CG (WP2 will have outfitting facilities nearby). It will only take a few hours to transfer modules there, which is nothing considering we'll be there for a week. Then when CG1 is over, switch back to exploration build, leave all your mining gear at WP2, then when we get to the core, transfer them there from WP2 to WP7 (provided the newly deployed station superstructure will have outfitting from the outset, something we're pushing FD for).

Now IF the core station only has outfitting once the station is complete, and not before, then obviously you'd need to take your mining gear with you from WP2 to the core, but you'll be able to off-load it once the core station is complete and revert back to exploration build for the rest of the expedition.

Bottom line is the CG aspect of DW is meant to challenge the player in the choices and sacrifices he/she makes, so either way, it should be embraced and be seen as something that is worthwhile doing and being part of, as once the core station becomes fully operational, you'll have had a part to play in making that happen. One thing that was stressed in the original proposal was the task to build something way out in the depths should be a difficult one, as to make it worthwhile. I think we're going to get that one way or the other!

Last edited:
Maybe they'll make it so that one of the teir rewards for CG1 gives the new superstructure outfitting from the start. Give us something to work for.

Top Bottom