[DW2] Community Goals

Really thinking about switching back to the Python, so I can outfit it as a Big Rig... Don't have a lot of free playtime, so I think it's better if I can mine solo, not sure I can wing up. Anyway, this is going to be epic! Beltalowda!

If the first fails does the second just not happen or is there a fall back?
A good question. However, when was the last time a CG even failed? The very first threshold tends to be easy enough to hit. There were some occasions when Frontier set the bars too high that they were practically impossible to achieve, but in such cases, they modified them while the CG was running so it could be done.

A good question. However, when was the last time a CG even failed? The very first threshold tends to be easy enough to hit.
Yes - and mining CGs don't have particularly high thresholds even at the higher end.

The last mining CG reached Tier 5 with only 424 participants (California Nebula), and you only need 600,000 tonnes for Tier 8.

Given the size of the expedition, even if not everyone brings mining gear, there should be plenty of people about.

It.Will.Not.Fail. :D

Joke aside. In the extremely unlikely case, that most of the participants can't be bothered to bring mining equipment and actively decide not to be part of one of the most involving activities of this expedition, I also guess that the tiers might be modified. Also we do not know yet how many tiers the first stage will have. It could be only one if FD decides so. We should bear in mind that there is a lot of interest in a successful CG on Frontiers side too, as they want us to showcase the new mining mechanics.

Last edited:
We should bear in mind that there is a lot of interest in a successful CG on Frontiers side too, as they want us to showcase the new mining mechanics.
Hm. I hope it won't be set to accept the new rare drops only (for which you need the seismic charges), because if so, they might accidentally set the bars too high.
But yeah, the primary thing then is that Frontier's vested in seeing this succeed too.

Guillinbursti will be fit for heavy mining. Hopefully no encounters with cliff edges this time whilst chasing Eisen.

One thing I would suggest is to ensure you’ve got a solid supply of materials for resupply since the subsurface missiles and charges use ammo. Hopefully won’t be an issue with the station there but who knows.

Also good to practice with the new mining kit. The abrasion blaster can be a bit finicky and it is easy to bounce the missiles off the asteroid.

Yes - and mining CGs don't have particularly high thresholds even at the higher end.

The last mining CG reached Tier 5 with only 424 participants (California Nebula), and you only need 600,000 tonnes for Tier 8.

Given the size of the expedition, even if not everyone brings mining gear, there should be plenty of people about.

This type of expedition content is one of the many reasons I created the iMU Community.

Wing mining is and always will be the most efficient way of mining. What we created is a Hub dedicated to giving miners access to other miners.

With the amount of miners gathering already, as well as the support of our community, I believe the Expedition will create a great sense of togetherness in the work needed to be done and attain an excellent level of success.

No pressure... lol

Mining Equipment Availablilty

possible and deliver them to a nearby installation

Any word on whether mining tools and a refinery can be purchased here? I plan to travel in a Krait Phantom and don't have space to carry anything but lighweight mining lasers.

Whoa. This looks awesome! Great work guys organizing this. I will be bringing a big-rig cutter that I will likely have to reconfigure for some more power now. Quick question, do we need to sign up with IMU? Is there a discord outside of fleetcom we will use specific for IMU Z and the cgs?

There will be a dedicated channel opened in Fleetcomm once the expedition starts. You can join IMU too, but the main comms hub is Fleetcomm.

Last edited:
Any word on whether mining tools and a refinery can be purchased here? I plan to travel in a Krait Phantom and don't have space to carry anything but lighweight mining lasers.

If by "here" you mean Cololnia, all mining equipment is readily available. Except for the Pulse Wave Analyser, which can only be found in the Ogmar system to my knowledge, at either Dervish Platform or Whirling Station.

Last edited:
If i outfit my ship with mining gear and will be able to ditch them at the new station when its ready, can we transfer modules there also?

If i outfit my ship with mining gear and will be able to ditch them at the new station when its ready, can we transfer modules there also?

This will depend on the tier goals FD set. If we hit all 5 then I'd assume outfitting would be one of them tiers, and with that presumably the option to transfer mods there (this is not 100% confirmed yet though). Ideally we'd like the fleet to have the ability to unload all of its heavy mining gear at the new station before the journey across to Beagle Point begins.

Last edited:
I'll be mining in my T10 for this. It'll be a little cumbersome, with the new system and all, but I'll enjoy it none the less. I'm still mildly confused though - are we mining commodities (iron, liquid oxygen, etc) or mats? (iron, tin, etc)

Last edited:
We will not mine commodities but materials. We will only know which materials when the CG is announced by FD. They do not want anybody to hoard stuff before it begins.

We will not mine commodities but materials. We will only know which materials when the CG is announced by FD. They do not want anybody to hoard stuff before it begins.
That's a curious decision - mining for materials is generally pretty slow compared with getting them by the SRV route [1], doesn't use the new mining tools at all, and since 3.0 there's been no penalty for hoarding every raw material in existence and carrying it around with you so lots of people will already have a substantial stock.

Commodities are far harder to hoard:
1) They take up mass and hold space
2) They can have a "mined-only" flag to stop people getting them from other sources

[1] The three mining-only materials are an obvious exception, but they don't show up very often from actual mining, either.

Perhaps I misunderstood. We asked FD to only take those mining-mats that cannot be bought anywhere, so probably there will be mineable commodities too. We do not yet know which though and what FD made out of our proposals. The problem with the "mined-only"-flag is, that with it present people will have problems with the wing-mining mechanics. Cause the materials cannot be exchanged between ships without losing the flag afaik.

Last edited:
Top Bottom