Community thoughts on a proposed expedition

I'm a relative newcomer to Elite and having a blast (at it a couple of months). I've been doing various missions (some bounty-hunting, data hauling missions, exploration) and I've earned enough credits to outfit my Cobra MKIII with A-rated gear, purchased an Imperial Courier, and recently acquired a Diamondback Explorer, which I've set up for exploration and have been doing some scanning and pulling in some nice credits.

I've heard that the Bubble Nebula is a nice sight to behold and I'm thinking about embarking on an expedition to see it. Figure I might as well make some dough along the way, so I'm thinking about doing this:

https://www.spansh.co.uk/riches/res...&radius=30&range=35&to=Bubble Sector DL-Y d34

I'm interested to know what you veteran explorers out there think about this plan. Any pointers or other words of wisdom? Am I already suffering from space-dimentia? :)

My expedition ship, Dozer's Folly, is at my current home base in Brestla (i Sola Prospect) and I'm itching to get back out into the black!

o7

DBE is a good ship, Bubble nebula is perhaps a bit far for a first ever trip. I'd advise something like Mintaka B or Betelgeuse (both very much worth seeing). Don't get me wrong you can do Beagle Point first time but my first trip I ended up doubling back after about 2000ly full of regret at not picking a closer target.

That'll expose flaws with your ship build and answer all your exploration questions, things you missed, things you wanted etc. Big one is how you explore. (Scan everything, scan profitable items, scan just the star etc).

It'll set you up well to plan a bigger trip.

DBE is a good ship, Bubble nebula is perhaps a bit far for a first ever trip. I'd advise something like Mintaka B or Betelgeuse (both very much worth seeing). Don't get me wrong you can do Beagle Point first time but my first trip I ended up doubling back after about 2000ly full of regret at not picking a closer target.

That'll expose flaws with your ship build and answer all your exploration questions, things you missed, things you wanted etc. Big one is how you explore. (Scan everything, scan profitable items, scan just the star etc).

Betelgeuse looks very cool! I appreciate the advice. Yeah, so far I haven't traveled far enough to shake out any issues with my ship...just 10-20 system loops. I've not had any issues so far (except maybe getting too close when fuel scooping once and flying back to base with my tail between my legs to repair damage), but that's not very far. I can see how it would be advisable to do a shorter expedition and see how it goes. I'm scanning high value (300K +) targets as opposed to everything. I have a pretty demanding job as a web developer and limited time to play, but it is super relaxing for me when I play. I'm goal oriented, so an expedition gives me something to work on. I think a lot of people that come into the game complaining about how there's not enough to do really don't understand what the game is about. There is plenty of leeway to make the game what you want it to be and have fun.

Thanks again for the good advice and suggested destinations!

Personally, I think plotting your route using Road2Riches sucks all the enjoyment out of exploration.
I don't see the point in just visiting a bunch of systems that have been discovered before, purely for the sake of credits. It's not even as if 100M CR is a great reward - since you can make that in a couple of hours doing other things.

If you want to visit the Bubble nebula, do it, but plot a route at least 250LY above or below Sol and discover your own ELWs and WWs and get your name on a few systems.
Even better if you take an indirect route there, since the straight lines between nebulae are heavily traveled.

Personally, I think plotting your route using Road2Riches sucks all the enjoyment out of exploration.
I don't see the point in just visiting a bunch of systems that have been discovered before, purely for the sake of credits. It's not even as if 100M CR is a great reward - since you can make that in a couple of hours doing other things.

If you want to visit the Bubble nebula, do it, but plot a route at least 250LY above or below Sol and discover your own ELWs and WWs and get your name on a few systems.
Even better if you take an indirect route there, since the straight lines between nebulae are heavily traveled.

I get what you're saying, and even agree on some level. I've done some random exploring and had fun with it, but being relatively inexperienced and with limited time, it helps to have a "plan". I've not achieved the reputation or experience to do some of the high payout missions that you're referencing. I'm not a get-rich quick player, but I would like to build a little bit of a nest egg so I can solidify my builds.

Thanks for the thoughts!

+1

Really good advice. Repped.

I'd recommend a trip to a place like the Fine Ring for a first exploration trip. Not too far (1000 ly from Sol). And beautiful to see.

Last edited:
West Veil Nebula is only about 5k LY away from the bubble (in fact I think its closer). Sometimes its called the Cotton Candy Nebula because of the amazing colors that can be found there. If youre in it for the money, Go NW of West Veil Nebula about 3k LY until you find Aucofs Sector: its not uncommon by any means to find systems with 3-5+ ammonia/earth/waters.

Bubble Nebula is really nice and worth a visit.

What I'd recommend is rather than going there directly, visiting some of the other nebulae on the way first.
- Dumbbell
- Veil West
- North America / Pelican
- NGC 7822

That will take you on a nice journey round a lot of the most interesting closer ones - and if you want money, there are a lot of black holes in NGC 7822 to scan. Then you can decide if you've had enough, and it's not that far to go home ... or if you're enjoying yourself in which case you're on the right place to go onwards to Bubble.

These are great suggestions! I really appreciate and welcome the input from everyone. I will be building a list of these recommended points of interest. I think I probably will do some shorter expeditions to some of the closer points before I undertake a longer expedition.

As a side note, I stumbled across Jackson's Lighthouse last night. Seems I remember reading something about it being involved in an Elite Dangerous book or something? At any rate, got some cool photos of it.

Bubble Nebula is really nice and worth a visit.

What I'd recommend is rather than going there directly, visiting some of the other nebulae on the way first.
- Dumbbell
- Veil West
- North America / Pelican
- NGC 7822

That will take you on a nice journey round a lot of the most interesting closer ones - and if you want money, there are a lot of black holes in NGC 7822 to scan. Then you can decide if you've had enough, and it's not that far to go home ... or if you're enjoying yourself in which case you're on the right place to go onwards to Bubble.

I was going to let the OP enjoy the surprise of NGC 7822.
Heading towards the Bubble nebula would put him well in range of 7822's Siren song and we know it's irresistible:D

Oh!!! Gotcha!!! That's too cool. Now I understand what you meant by not wanting to ruin the surprise.

It's okay, I'm still really excited about seeing it. :)

Top Bottom