ANNOUNCEMENT Community Update (22/10)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I dont think anyone here whos paying attention actually believes the "new era" of Elite will launch on its planned date...when something like fleet carriers has been delayed almost..what.. a full year? And even the smallest of updates...UPDATES... break the entire game.

I dont know what is actually going on behind closed doors...but whatever it is...its not good...and its definitely not anything to be "excited" about.

Communtiy asks for more effort to 'fix' things.
Where does said communtiy think that effort will come from out of a full dev schedule?

The community is asking for fleet carriers more than we are for the far and few bugs in this game. Since the game launched people have wanted capital ships, and they already downsized the scale of which they can be used to simply being privatized megaships, and that really is all they are. Fleet carriers are 3 new skins to existing megaships with minimal new content, yes there's a new resource needed to fuel them, and apparently they can capital jump in real time rather than down time. But we already have mega ships in game, and we already have plenty of skins for them, why not just release three of those, being the freighters and science ships. But for combat we'll definitely need a megaship that isn't a Farragut or interdictor because those are faction specific and have no landing pads.

My point is we already have the technology and assets for fleet carriers. And yet its taken a year+ to roll them out. And now it's getting pushed back further, even though people would rather we had a fleet carrier launch sooner than the miniscule bug and balancing issues they're looking at.

The community is asking for fleet carriers more than we are for the far and few bugs in this game. Since the game launched people have wanted capital ships, and they already downsized the scale of which they can be used to simply being privatized megaships, and that really is all they are. Fleet carriers are 3 new skins to existing megaships with minimal new content, yes there's a new resource needed to fuel them, and apparently they can capital jump in real time rather than down time. But we already have mega ships in game, and we already have plenty of skins for them, why not just release three of those, being the freighters and science ships. But for combat we'll definitely need a megaship that isn't a Farragut or interdictor because those are faction specific and have no landing pads.

My point is we already have the technology and assets for fleet carriers. And yet its taken a year+ to roll them out. And now it's getting pushed back further, even though people would rather we had a fleet carrier launch sooner than the miniscule bug and balancing issues they're looking at.

Far and few bugs?

Also, you didn't hear about the petition, I take it.

Greetings Commanders,

Following the launch of the September Update last month, we’d like to provide you all with an update on our plans for Elite Dangerous.

Firstly, thank you for all of your feedback on the September Update, which you've shared with us on the forums, across social media, on livestreams and through the Issue Tracker. There is no doubt that, in addition to the new features, the September Update introduced a number of issues and bugs which caused a lot of frustration. We are really sorry for these issues. We realise that some of the issues had an impact on your ability to enjoy Elite Dangerous. The team have been working hard to address the most critical issues and have already released a series of patches and updates to bring those fixes in as quickly as possible.

However, we know there's more to be done. You've asked for more focus on existing bug/fixes and issues, and for the community to be better integrated into the development process and testing for these upcoming updates.

In order to improve your overall experience, we have decided to refocus our efforts on addressing key issues and bugs. Since the launch of the September Update, we've been taking a deeper look at our internal development roadmap, the way in which we utilise public betas, and the content of our next updates.

Here is a summary of our plans:
  • From now and into next year (2020), the updates will focus almost exclusively on addressing recent and longstanding issues, including those reported in the Issue Tracker, ultimately making the game better.
  • We are expecting to have a series of these updates, which will be rolled out (approximately) every three to four months.
  • Each update will also include a public beta that will run prior to the update's release, with a dedicated time to address major issues that appear.
  • The first of these updates will have its public beta in December, with an expectation that the launch will be early in 2020.
As a result of our updated plans, we have made the difficult decision to defer the release of Fleet Carriers. We are now planning for Fleet Carriers to be released in an update in the second quarter of 2020, rather than in December 2019 as previously stated. This will grant us additional time to refine the feature as well as focusing time on addressing existing reported issues. It will also ensure the state of the game is in a better position to introduce Fleet Carriers, that will provide Commanders even more opportunities to interact with the Milky Way. We understand that this delay will be disappointing for some players, but do know that this decision is one that we do not take lightly, and is made with the best interests of the community and game at heart.

Ultimately, we are confident that this will improve the Elite Dangerous experience for all our players.

The team have been hard at work on the next major milestone, which you may remember we mentioned back in March as our next major paid addition to the game. They’re making fantastic progress and on schedule for release by the end of next year. We are very excited to show you what we’ve been working on. However, we can only announce the content when it’s at the right stage of development, we estimate this will be ready to talk about at some time in summer 2020, after the Fleet Carriers update. We appreciate there is a bit of a wait, but we want to make sure it is ready to be shown before making our full official announcement to the world.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your ongoing and continued support and for helping give us the feedback, steer and insight to make decisions that will benefit the entire community and for your continued passion and dedication.
I appreciate responding to our concerns for the game. I think you made the right decision in delaying the release. Please make Elite worthy of its name again. I think this announcement makes me happier than if it was "Fleet Carriers launch tomorrow". Honestly. Thank you for the betas, again, it's the right decision, I'm looking forward to participating and helping ironing out bugs.

The issue tracker needs some refining, as it's not very useful as it is. Especially finding current bugs is tedious. Maybe if you created more categories or tags we could select while reporting and/or searching?

Many thanks to the team, again looking forward to helping the game.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator

You obviously do not keep a tally of forums posts/topics. Bug fixing is the most talked about 'feature' by quite a long way.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom