News Community Update (27/09)

How can you completely ignore the “mission board not loading” bug. It makes the game almost unplayable for some and is clearly mentioned on every forum and ticketed on frontier but yet 0 information produced or update to say that it’s being looked into.

Payed full price for a game that was really enjoying and had been rendered useless with no way of solving it would seem.

Just a mention would be nice.
Maybe if someone voted on it? https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/4397
It couldn't hurt, but I doubt it's necessary.
It's confirmed and acknowledged. I imagine it's on the list and, given its severity, I imagine it's fairly high up it.
In a situation like this, they'll take the low-hanging fruit first and get the maximum number of bugs fixed as fast as possible. Anything more tricky will wait until those are done. There is little point in handling a bug that will take a week to fix before one that will only take half a day, unless there is a vast difference in their severity.

Reading it as a developer, the list at the top of this thread are bugs that they have already fixed and have gone into QA for regression testing. Assuming that goes well, we'll get the patch in a few days. If there are problems they'll kick it back and we'll have to wait another few days.

At this point, Frontier have to manage expectations; they're not promising anything that they are not 100% certain that they can deliver. You'll hear about this particular bug-fix when they create the patch that it's in and probably not before.

Maybe if someone voted on it? https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/4397
It's confirmed and acknowledged. I imagine it's on the list and, given its severity, I imagine it's fairly high up it.
In a situation like this, they'll take the low-hanging fruit first and get the maximum number of bugs fixed as fast as possible. Anything more tricky will wait until those are done. There is little point in handling a bug that will take a week to fix before one that will only take half a day, unless there is a vast difference in their severity.

Reading it as a developer, the list at the top of this thread are bugs that they have already fixed and have gone into QA for regression testing. Assuming that goes well, we'll get the patch in a few days. If there are problems they'll kick it back and we'll have to wait another few days.

At this point, Frontier have to manage expectations; they're not promising anything that they are not 100% certain that they can deliver. You'll hear about this particular bug-fix when they create the patch that it's in and probably not before.
Appreciate your reasonable description of the problem. As we are all aware, it can be frustrating at the least.

Just hope they find a patch soon so we can get back to the grind.

Thanks.

^^^^^^^THIS
The visuals in E: D are one of the best parts about it, and cannot be enjoyed while the entire screen is tearing itself apart.
Y'know it's been theorized* that lens flares have an intense gravitational effect that can extend far beyond their visual size. Perhaps if they eliminated the lens flares, the universe-tearing would cease? Hmmm...

*By me, just now. Haven't published yet, however.

• Ship HUD
    • Corrected the schematic of a targeted starport to match its actual orientation

See you in the black, Commanders.

Thanks Will; as a trader and Power fortification team leader that really helps. Hang in there and thank you for a superb game. Play everyday with a great bunch of power play/bgs players around the world. Celebrating my first full year of PP. Flying pledged to Patreus upped the payback of time invested in the game to new heights - thought I was addicted to it before, but with the Patreus team, I'm wishing I was 50 years younger (and at 72 that is scary). Keep the updates coming, but maybe less buggy, but if not, push them anyway. Paid content not a problem, and if you get a chance, invest in Power Play/BGS squadron improvements, I'll pay for that too. o7 to you and your team; and when you do get out there in the black, send me an invite and we'll wing up for some serious fun.

Deleted member 192138

D
Why is the community encouraged to fight amongst themselves to prioritise which game breaking bug gets attention first? Especially when some of them effect segments of the community rather than all, but are no less game breaking for them.

The PS4 has a smaller community than PC, it will get less votes because the pool of people voting on it will be naturally smaller. That doesn't mean the issue is less deserving of attention. So why do we exercise FDev's capacity to ignore or defer an issue because "the community haven't voted on it".

Why is the community encouraged to fight amongst themselves to prioritise which game breaking bug gets attention first? Especially when some of them effect segments of the community rather than all, but are no less game breaking for them.

The PS4 has a smaller community than PC, it will get less votes because the pool of people voting on it will be naturally smaller. That doesn't mean the issue is less deserving of attention. So why do we exercise FDev's capacity to ignore or defer an issue because "the community haven't voted on it".
Soren answered just under the section you quoted...

In a situation like this, they'll take the low-hanging fruit first and get the maximum number of bugs fixed as fast as possible.

Deleted member 192138

D
But they don't take the low hanging fruit. Enforcer cannon synth has been broken since at least the April update, should've been an easy fix, and was sitting as an unconfirmed bug report for months. Now it's being paraded as "look at us doing the thing you voted on". Even so much as encouraging people to use the ranking system is absurd because it's just a PR exercise that has nothing to do with fixing problems. My issue isn't with Soron personally or the rest of his comment. I just think we shouldn't pander to such a warped tool in the slightest.

How can you completely ignore the “mission board not loading” bug. It makes the game almost unplayable for some and is clearly mentioned on every forum and ticketed on frontier but yet 0 information produced or update to say that it’s being looked into.

Payed full price for a game that was really enjoying and had been rendered useless with no way of solving it would seem.

Just a mention would be nice.

That happened many times to me yesterday, and each time with a ship full of passengers. That made me very, very, very, very, very, very, very.... okay gif:

giphy.gif

;)

But they don't take the low hanging fruit. Enforcer cannon synth has been broken since at least the April update, should've been an easy fix, and was sitting as an unconfirmed bug report for months. Now it's being paraded as "look at us doing the thing you voted on". Even so much as encouraging people to use the ranking system is absurd because it's just a PR exercise that has nothing to do with fixing problems. My issue isn't with Soron personally or the rest of his comment. I just think we shouldn't pander to such a warped tool in the slightest.
That's the low hanging fruit. It hasn't been important up until now because nobody was screaming for it. But then the team lead gets up and says "look guys, we screwed up and people are mad. Let's fix as many bugs as we can as fast as we can, so at least the next patch goes out with as big a list as possible. Look through the whole bug list and find stuff you can get done quickly."

Voting on features is a good idea. Voting on bugs is rather different, and I don't agree with it. I don't know if it is necessary to get a bug confirmed by ten people and then voted on by an indeterminate number before it has a chance of getting fixed. I imagine that voting is unimportant for a game breaking bug, but it's only a guess. I have no idea whether the developers will notice a bug report that never gets confirmed. Ten seems a very high hurdle to have to meet; if two or three people have the same experience, then the thing is real. I don't know whether multiple reports that are then marked invalid increase the confirmation count of the bug they are duplicates of.

I would like some input from the developers in the issue ticket. They could say things like "A quick fix of this bug in ABC is will break XYZ. It will take significant effort to disentangle them. We'll leave it until the December update when XYZ is being rewritten anyway." or "We can't recreate this bug. Could we have some more reports with detailed information please?" or "This bug is unconfirmed, but we can see it exists and it's on the list to work on." The problem with that is that it creates promises that may then be broken. December comes around, ABC is still broken and people start screaming. Or the bug that has been said to be on the list languishes there for a year. In my last job we had a support ticket system where us developers could post privately on a ticket giving or asking for information. The customer support would then post a suitably worded public response. That kept all the information in the ticket but the customer was only exposed to safe levels of commitment.

It would be nice to have a status that says Frontier are working on the bug but such things have a habit of slipping. A more important bug could pop up that means this one has to wait.

I would like to see the number of confirmations a bug has gained and that a bug can be moved through the process manually. If a bug is unconfirmed, I want to know that Frontier have not accepted it.

Top Bottom