News Community Update (27/09)

I imagine it was the underpinnings of the Arx store, but I can't believe such a tiny patch pretty much wrecked the game for me. Please, please please in future beta test things. Yes its like a piranha tank in these forums but you'd avoid many very basic and straightforward problems before release having one.

• VPN connectivity
    • We're still looking into what is causing connectivity issues for VPN users. We've updated the VPN workaround that we posted on the 24 September. Please try the following steps to resolve the issue:
      • Locate the IP address used by your VPN.
      • Next:
        • (Steam) Navigate to the folder here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\
        • (Standalone): Navigate to the folder here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\Products\elite-dangerous-64\
      • You should see a file named 'appconfig.xml'
      • Open this with a text editor such as Notepad and scroll down to the bottom, where you should see a Network section.
      • Add the following line (replacing 'xx.xxx.xxx.xx' with your VPN's IP) <UseNic>xxx.xx.x.x</UseNic>
      • The final result should look similar to this:
        <Network Port="0"
        upnpenabled="1"
        LogFile="netLog"
        PingTime="27"
        MaxUpRate="250000"
        DatestampLog="1"
        SendCompressedIDs="0"

<UseNic>xxx.xx.x.x</UseNic>
        </Network>
      • Don't amend any of the other sections as they'll have been configured for your standard usage already.
      • Save the file in the same location.

This has done nothing for my PPPoE connection. Haven't been able to log into the game for a week now. Tried with both IPv6 enabled and disabled. Tried both standalone and Steam versions of the game, reinstalled each twice. Still nothing.
Please explain how Elite has worked on this internet connection for over 2 years and now it suddenly doesn't...

Hello Commanders,

We wanted to take a moment to thank the community for all of the feedback that has been shared with us, following the launch of the September Update. We hear your frustrations and are hard at work on rolling another patch to address some of those issues to improve your current Elite Dangerous experience.

With the help of your feedback and bug reports, we're going to be introducing a number of fixes next week. For those that might have missed it, we've collated together some of the steps we've already taken to resolve issues you might be facing:
  • We've identified a list of Known Issues and some of these have already been resolved in server side fixes and September Update - Patch 1. As this is not an exhaustive list of all the reports you've sent our way, we're still continuing to investigate and resolve as many issues as we can. If you've encountered a bug or issue, please make sure to report it to us via the Issue Tracker.

• A number of Game Extras will continue to be released, so if there's something familiar missing from the Store, rest assured it will arrive soon.

• VPN connectivity
    • We're still looking into what is causing connectivity issues for VPN users. We've updated the VPN workaround that we posted on the 24 September. Please try the following steps to resolve the issue:
      • Locate the IP address used by your VPN.
      • Next:
        • (Steam) Navigate to the folder here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\
        • (Standalone): Navigate to the folder here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\Products\elite-dangerous-64\
      • You should see a file named 'appconfig.xml'
      • Open this with a text editor such as Notepad and scroll down to the bottom, where you should see a Network section.
      • Add the following line (replacing 'xx.xxx.xxx.xx' with your VPN's IP) <UseNic>xxx.xx.x.x</UseNic>
      • The final result should look similar to this:
        <Network Port="0"
        upnpenabled="1"
        LogFile="netLog"
        PingTime="27"
        MaxUpRate="250000"
        DatestampLog="1"
        SendCompressedIDs="0"

<UseNic>xxx.xx.x.x</UseNic>
        </Network>
      • Don't amend any of the other sections as they'll have been configured for your standard usage already.
      • Save the file in the same location.
September Update - Patch 2

Next week, we'll be introducing a second corrective patch, which will include a number of fixes for various issues. We've highlighted just some of the fixes below, namely those reported through Issue Tracker (and some of the top voted issues) below:
  • Crashes/Stability
    • Fixed a softlock that could occur when trading materials at a material trader
  • Diamondback Explorer
    • Fixed mismatched Paint Jobs for the Diamondback Explorer
  • Interdiction
    • Fixed an issue where interdiction wouldn't end after the player submitted
  • Outfitting
    • Fixed an issue that could cause incorrect weapon mounts to be displayed (fixed weapons showing as gimballed, for example)
  • Rendering
    • Fixed an issue that caused stars in the night sky to disappear (creating, in some cases, 'hard edges')
  • Ship HUD
    • Corrected the schematic of a targeted starport to match its actual orientation
    • Fixed an issue that made ship modules appear twice in the module tab after swapping to a different ship
  • Weapons
    • Fixed Enforcer Canons not being able to be restocked through synthesis
In addition to this patch, we've made some changes to the in-game Store following the feedback you've shared with us:
  • The Store icon located in Station Services will be changed blue to orange to fit in line with the other UI elements.
  • We're also going to rearrange the positioning of the icon and various buttons on the main menu:
    • Station Services - Livery > Holo-me > Store
    • Main Menu - Livery > Buy Expansions > Store > Buy ARX

View attachment 144832
We'll provide a time and date, as well as the full Patch Notes, for the September Update - Patch 2 next week.

See you in the black, Commanders.

Thanks Will, happy to see any bug fixes. Are there any updates on the Xbox One X performance / screen tearing issues maybe?

I don't understand why people are getting frustrated about the store being on the station menu in blue.
I like the store icon being blue because it is a different from being the same orange colour just like 90% of the game UI.
Just deal with it, its not a life threatening thing.

I not seen any screen tearing and i'm on the xbox one X

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are getting frustrated about the store being on the station menu in blue.
I like the store icon being blue because it is a different from being the same orange colour just like 90% of the game UI.
Just deal with it, its not a life threatening thing.

I not seen any screen tearing and i'm on the xbox one X
It shouldn't be there at all. The blue reminds you it shouldn't be there at all, every time you dock.
A ship in 3305 shouldn't have a link to a shop in 2019

In that case you'd better start a campaign to get it to stay blue...

The Store icon located in Station Services will be changed blue to orange to fit in line with the other UI elements.

Well just don't see any issue over the store UI being blue, i think it was bit of a overreaction.
I'm not being hostile about it i was just wondering why this was a big fuss.

I second @BongoBaggins answer above.

The store button being on that screen is inappropriate, it should be in livery and/or holo-me, having it stick out like a sore thumb makes it worse.

Changing it to menu colour will at least make it blend in but it is still an inappropriate place for it.

It shouldn't be there at all. The blue reminds you it shouldn't be there at all, every time you dock.
A ship in 3305 shouldn't have a link to a shop in 2019
why shouldn't it be there Its not causing any threats to you or anyone, its just there to take you to the store to buy some body kits, paints, decals and others.
If you think its a way of FD saying i want you to buy arx then don't buy them, just earn them through playing the game and get them for free.

why shouldn't it be there Its not causing any threats to you or anyone, its just there to take you to the store to buy some body kits, paints, decals and others.
If you think its a way of FD saying i want you to buy arx then don't buy them, just earn them through playing the game and get them for free.
So it should be in the parts of the game where you fit those things not on the bit where you do everything else.

Well just don't see any issue over the store UI being blue, i think it was bit of a overreaction.
I'm not being hostile about it i was just wondering why this was a big fuss.
They pushed it in our faces too much. You can buy Arx in the main menu store or the livery/holo-me, or in the dedicated Arx buying screen off the main menu or in the store off the station menu or the livery/holo-me off the station menu. It's unnecessary; livery works perfectly well to outfit your current ship and the main menu works fine to outfit all your ships. It breaks the fourth wall; Arx is not an in-game currency; our commanders do not collect it or know anything about it. The cleanest implementation would be to leave the store only on the main menu and then have livery and holo-me only to outfit packs that you already owned. But that would lead to fewer sales. (And to be fair, livery and holo-me already showed everything and directed the player to the web-page to purchase items.) Instead they pushed purchasable packs everywhere along with the out-of-character currency. And they made the button blue, just in case we didn't notice it.

Microtransactions are a big danger word in some circles (with good reason). There was a big reaction against them which Frontier didn't help by making some of the more popular packs more expensive than they had been.

And then they rammed it down our throats just a little too hard.

They pushed it in our faces too much. You can buy Arx in the main menu store or the livery/holo-me, or in the dedicated Arx buying screen off the main menu or in the store off the station menu or the livery/holo-me off the station menu. It's unnecessary; livery works perfectly well to outfit your current ship and the main menu works fine to outfit all your ships. It breaks the fourth wall; Arx is not an in-game currency; our commanders do not collect it or know anything about it. The cleanest implementation would be to leave the store only on the main menu and then have livery and holo-me only to outfit packs that you already owned. But that would lead to fewer sales. (And to be fair, livery and holo-me already showed everything and directed the player to the web-page to purchase items.) Instead they pushed purchasable packs everywhere along with the out-of-character currency. And they made the button blue, just in case we didn't notice it.

Microtransactions are a big danger word in some circles (with good reason). There was a big reaction against them which Frontier didn't help by making some of the more popular packs more expensive than they had been.

And then they rammed it down our throats just a little too hard.
The only thing i agree with is making the amount of arx required to buy some of the most popular stuff expensive that will take more than a month to get it but i just find it a bit of a overreaction for the store icon being blue and in the station menu.

The only thing i agree with is making the amount of arx required to buy some of the most popular stuff expensive that will take more than a month to get it but i just find it a bit of a overreaction for the store icon being blue and in the station menu.
It was the straw that broke the camel's back; one step too far.

By itself it was an meaningless eye-sore that we would soon get used to. With everything else, it became a symbol of cynical capitalism.

Great to hear about the changes!

Although the folks with VPN issues and bought the game early on probably already know this, the location of the appconfig.xml file is instead located in the following directory: (AppData is normally hidden by default).

\%username%\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\

Top Bottom