News Community Update (27/09)

why shouldn't it be there Its not causing any threats to you or anyone, its just there to take you to the store to buy some body kits, paints, decals and others.
If you think its a way of FD saying i want you to buy arx then don't buy them, just earn them through playing the game and get them for free.
I have no problem with Arx, I've been living with Frontier points on Xbox for ages now. I understand the need and the benefit of them. I've certainly bought enough of them and I don't begrudge a penny.
I just don't see the need for a 'store'* button in Station Services, it doesn't make sense.

I do appreciate it being made far less intrusive, as you can see in my first post in this thread

*edit: original incorrectly said 'buy Arx'

Last edited:
I have no problem with Arx, I've been living with Frontier points on Xbox for ages now. I understand the need and the benefit of them. I've certainly bought enough of them and I don't begrudge a penny.
I just don't see the need for a 'buy arx' button in Station Services, it doesn't make sense.

I do appreciate it being made far less intrusive, as you can see in my first post in this thread
I voice of reason inside the Mod team, pinch me i must be dreaming!

The "STORE" button shoud be GONE, not color change, this isnt "listening to the community" this is a attempt at damage control.

Talk about immersion breaking.
Nothing more immersion breaking than spending real cash, and being reminded of it inside stations, gg frontier.

Infinity:Battlescape is on steam btw, and its really good already, awesome combat, none of the grind, big capital ships and explosions, atmospheric planets, good trade id say.

Frontier became lazy money hungry arxholes.

let me clap slowly for you, while you fix bugs that you yourself introduced , not even mentioning the other bugs since april that were untouched.

Last edited:
I voice of reason inside the Mod team, pinch me i must be dreaming!

The "STORE" button shoud be GONE, not color change, this isnt "listening to the community" this is a attempt at damage control.

Nothing more immersion breaking than spending real cash, and being reminded of it inside stations, gg frontier.

Infinity:Battlescape is on steam btw, and its really good already, awesome combat, none of the grind, big capital ships and explosions, atmospheric planets, good trade id say.

Frontier became lazy money hungry arxholes.

let me clap slowly for you, while you fix bugs that you yourself introduced , not even mentioning the other bugs since april that were untouched.

Wow, hard words.

Is it tho? I was thinking about this again .... the model is that there are cosmetics we own and cosmetics we don't. Suppose we lived in a world where we could easily apply decals or resprays to our vehicles at a garage (maybe via some kind of robotic drive through respray area like a carwash) and that the payment model was that we payed for new designs but re-applying the designs we owned was free. Surely there would be a facility at the garage (at station services in-game) to buy the new ones? By this model there's actually nothing immersion breaking about the Store button being on station services?

Is it tho? I was thinking about this again .... the model is that there are cosmetics we own and cosmetics we don't. Suppose we lived in a world where we could easily apply decals or resprays to our vehicles at a garage (maybe via some kind of robotic drive through respray area like a carwash) and that the payment model was that we payed for new designs but re-applying the designs we owned was free. Surely there would be a facility at the garage (at station services in-game) to buy the new ones? By this model there's actually nothing immersion breaking about the Store button being on station services?
I'm ok with there being a store (though it's weird it is called that - as the shipyard etc are already stores). But previously in Livery you could see things you didn't own - and it took you to the website to buy them. The introduction of ARX could have simplified Livery so it just allowed you to buy if you have the ARX. So I don't know why there is also a Store link. And why the preview to see new things only works via the Store link, and is broken via Livery. Like they were scared of the Livery code so did the 'we'll just build a new version and stick it next door' coding method.

I'd love a Discovery Scanner from the UX team who thought Blue buttons, BUY ARX!, Livery / Store distinctions were good ideas - they obviously think it was a good idea but I'm struggling to think of any justification at the moment...

Last edited:
I just don't see the need for a 'buy arx' button in Station Services, it doesn't make sense.

I didn't think there is a buy Arx button in station services, I though it was a button to buy stuff with your Arx (saying that I could be wrong as I am nowhere near a station to know for sure). Please tell me if I am wrong.

Deleted member 38366

D
Is it tho? [...] Surely there would be a facility at the garage (at station services in-game) to buy the new ones? By this model there's actually nothing immersion breaking about the Store button being on station services?

Yes it is - because the Game already followed your own logic in the past. It was literally in the "Garage" aka Outfitting, where it belongs.
Not in the main Station Menu and as a stand-out and stand-alone out-of-game store asking for real money.

And "ARX" isn't even a thing in-game in respect to the ELITE Universe - because your Bank Account or RL personal & payment details aren't part of the in-game Universe.

So blue or orange or a little to the left or to the right - doesn't matter. It simply doesn't belong there on the main Station Menu.
That's from an in-game perspective obviously and a Customer perspective (too intrusive "buy more stuff!" ).

Now from a Shareholder Business perspective, we might as well have flashing Holo-Ads everywhere and occasional Inbox Messages. Maybe also a few EMails (for those that opted in) begging for cash as well.

The key is the balance , making the difference between Customers who might very well be seasoned Kickstarters, Founders and Backers - as opposed to Consumer Targets like seen in many other, often far more sickening/offensive monetization schemes.

PS.
Didn't think we'd ever a prominent UI part that could overtake the CQC Arcade Rank in the Right Panel in terms of "this doesn't belong here"... but there we are.
Oddly, this super cheap marketing gimmick makes the prospect of Exploring a tad more sexy though. No Station Menus in Deep Space after all.

Just my Opinion and experience, but if anything the observed implementation of ARX on PC, its overly aggressive placement and associated blatant price hikes merely put quite a few more additional LY distance between my Wallet and the Frontier Store. Plus, my playtime dropped off significantly.

I didn't think there is a buy Arx button in station services, I though it was a button to buy stuff with your Arx (saying that I could be wrong as I am nowhere near a station to know for sure). Please tell me if I am wrong.
Yeah you're right. I meant store - I'll edit it

I don't understand why people are getting frustrated about the store being on the station menu in blue.
I like the store icon being blue because it is a different from being the same orange colour just like 90% of the game UI.
Just deal with it, its not a life threatening thing.

I not seen any screen tearing and i'm on the xbox one X

I don't understand why you are getting frustrated about the store being on the station menu in orange. I like the store icon being orange because it is a part of a homogeneous UI.
Just deal with it, it's not a life threatening thing. :p

To be honest, in my opinion that button shouldn't be there in the station menu at all. The only place I'd need/want to see it is in the livery menu. But I guess we have to be thankful for that compromise.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back; one step too far.

By itself it was an meaningless eye-sore that we would soon get used to. With everything else, it became a symbol of cynical capitalism.
I mildly singed my finger this morning making my coffee, it was the straw that broke the camel's back, one step too far, I mean it was meaningless in itself and the mild annoyance would soon go, but with everything else it became a symbol of cynical capitalism.

I cant believe they didn’t spend time creating a whole new program for the store where, after finishing your game, you log off, close the application, go to your immersion decompression chamber, remove your helmet and gloves (we all wear these when playing right?), then go back to your pc/console, start the new program, then buy your stuff.
It’s so simple. I can’t believe they missed it.

I cant believe they didn’t spend time creating a whole new program for the store where, after finishing your game, you log off, close the application, go to your immersion decompression chamber, remove your helmet and gloves (we all wear these when playing right?), then go back to your pc/console, start the new program, then buy your stuff.
It’s so simple. I can’t believe they missed it.
I have gloves and helmet (Rift)...the only thing that's missing is the Immershun Decompression chamber. ;)

I don't understand why people are getting frustrated about the store being on the station menu in blue.
I like the store icon being blue because it is a different from being the same orange colour just like 90% of the game UI.
Just deal with it, its not a life threatening thing.

I not seen any screen tearing and i'm on the xbox one X
Because it does not belong in the game itself, on the menu ok, but not it the game!

I'm ok with there being a store (though it's weird it is called that - as the shipyard etc are already stores). But previously in Livery you could see things you didn't own - and it took you to the website to buy them. The introduction of ARX could have simplified Livery so it just allowed you to buy if you have the ARX. So I don't know why there is also a Store link. And why the preview to see new things only works via the Store link, and is broken via Livery. Like they were scared of the Livery code so did the 'we'll just build a new version and stick it next door' coding method.
I agree. The Store is a new version of Livery, offering nothing new except the preview function. An obvious implementation would have the Livery upgraded to include the preview. There would be no new button in the station menu for us to complain about. The Store then would be a re-implementation of Livery that was intended to replace it. But the Store doesn't allow us to apply the things we buy to our ships.

On the other hand, a clean implementation would put everything related to Arx on the main menu. A new Store would let you buy both ship packs and Holo-Me packs, and the in-game Livery and Holo-Me would allow you to apply the designs that you already owned. But the Store doesn't allow you to buy Holo-Me packs. Also it would mean that you couldn't spend Arx while you were playing; it would have reduced the opportunities to spend real money below what they already were. So it's easy to imagine that they decided to put the Store in the station menu so that the opportunities for spending were maintained.

Neither of these designs was completed. Livery still allows you to spend money and you can't apply paint or buy Holo-Me packs in the Store. It may be that the design changed part-way through development or it may just be that they ran out of development time. It's easy to imagine that they found themselves in bug-hell with the Arx changes in game-play bringing up issues throughout the game and it was all hands to the pumps to fix everything before release. (And they still missed two or three such bugs, out of the hundred that they might originally have had.)

Top Bottom