ANNOUNCEMENT Community Update July 2020

And as I said before, its been five years of no new meaningful PP updates, two from discussing (and FD being happy with an unknown portion of it).

Unless FD actually improve the more involved aspects of ED, there is nothing more for me and I rather just save my time.
I wouldn't call Powerplay more involved to be honest. It could be more involved if they invested in it. But I suspect they don't know what to do with it. They risk alienating groups of people. Make it like the BGS and upset the PvP folks, make it open only and upset the PvE folks.

Personally I think FDev need to make a decision on what type of game they are making. Is it mainly PvE or PvP. You can't have both and have it good. Personally I would prefer if they went the PvE route.

I wouldn't call Powerplay more involved to be honest.

Its the only feature that draws on PvP, PvE, BGS, ship design and skill- not to mention Powerplay understanding and planning attacks / moves. I'd call that involving.

It could be more involved if they invested in it.

They need to sit down and actually think through the issues with it line by line- or, design a better system using the knowledge gained from this version.

But I suspect they don't know what to do with it.

I suspect thats true, but thats a symptom of the weak direction of the game, not the fault of a single feature.

They risk alienating groups of people.

Well, its not that many- its about 1000 regular players at an estimation.

Make it like the BGS and upset the PvP folks, make it open only and upset the PvE folks.

The irony being that the response from polls and the forum suggested you'd gain much more than lose if they went through with it.

Personally I think FDev need to make a decision on what type of game they are making. Is it mainly PvE or PvP. You can't have both and have it good. Personally I would prefer if they went the PvE route.

If they stick with what exists now then PvP is the only real extra they can bolt on (making players NPCs in effect). If they go wholesale redesign PvE is fine if they balance it right- the main issue will always be ignoring a decaying design that was introduced half finished and has run out of road.

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders,

With the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, we know you are excited and keen to learn more of whats to come.

Over the coming months we have some really exciting news and content to share with you. We will be kicking things off in August with a fantastic Developers Diary, which will show you some behind the scenes development of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

We can't wait to show you more and we are excited to share this epic journey with you.

o7 Commanders

You are the weirdest bunch of people.

You have announced so much that will NOT be a part of the future Elite Dangerous, yet said absolutely nothing about what it actually contains beyond "its on foot"... said by a guy completely unknown the the community.

You have actually announced more deleted in-game features than you have announced new features in YEARS.

You expected me not to mention it? Thats like Sunday lunch without gravy-impossible and wrong.

Oh I totally expected you to mention it and believe me, I'd be perfectly happy to see it get some love. The mockery there was ultimately directed at the failure to do anything significant with it since it's introduction, not at your hopes and dreams.

Oh I totally expected you to mention it and believe me, I'd be perfectly happy to see it get some love. The mockery there was ultimately directed at the failure to do anything significant with it since it's introduction, not at your hopes and dreams.

Lets hope the Dream Gravy is a proper red wine reduction with the deglazed roasting tin contents, and not Sainsburys own.

Not to be one of "those people", but how about getting us excited about the product you have right now before trying to get us excited about the product you may or may not have a year from now?

As I recall, I was plenty excited and having a whale of a time before the FC "update" happened.

Unless you play in VR, in which case it will be a disaster...
I Understand what you mean. VR for FPS is typically bad at best according to some sources. Personally I think VR right now is pretty much still a gimmick. I use TrackIR for dogfights etc and pause it for station-side operation. It works great without me losing sight of the keyboard and HOTAS which I found a problem when I used a VR rig on my friend's PC. I would imagine Frontier will do their best to have VR working for Odyssey soon post-launch but haven't seen anything about that yet.
Odyssey is gonna be awesome, let's not lose sight of that.

Have FD made any mention about our Holo-Me faces and space legs?

Will we have to make new ones? Are people in open going to see each others faces or a dark visor?

I know this isn’t a massive thing, I was just curious.

So why isn't there a non-VR version of HL:Alyx?
Perhaps Valve see VR as to having a bright future, or maybe it was just a vanity product for Gabe? As the Valve Index also took off very successfully, to me as just a consumer, it would appear that Valve in particular envision VR as no longer a niche product and believe it can become as mature a technology as flat screen gaming currently is.

Have FD made any mention about our Holo-Me faces and space legs?

Will we have to make new ones? Are people in open going to see each others faces or a dark visor?

I know this isn’t a massive thing, I was just curious.
Can't we already see other cmdr's holo-mes in open already?
I distinctly remember being able to see someone else's holo-me in the srv back we was crowding around "that" one barnacle way back when, waiting for a 'goid to show up. Didn't have to go to external view or anything. We saw each other face-to-face in our own buggy seats.

Can't we already see other cmdr's holo-mes in open already?
I distinctly remember being able to see someone else's holo-me in the srv back we was crowding around "that" one barnacle way back when, waiting for a 'goid to show up. Didn't have to go to external view or anything. We saw each other face-to-face in our own buggy seats.

Oh. I had no idea. Thanks.

Top Bottom