ANNOUNCEMENT Community Update July 2020

Shouldn't they finish the Fleet Carriers first before moving on to other things?
Like being able to order the highly paid carrier crew to take Tritium from the carrier cargo and move it to the Tritium depot without me having to fly out and do it myself. I still can't get my head around that I've got to transfer fuel from the carrier to my ship, then immediately back to the carrier again. What were they thinking.
I think there are more important things to fix atmen.
The reason you have to be on board to transfer Fuel is that you cant fly the across the universe without beeing in board.
Why they dont want that dont know

What's going on with the game? 5 times I've tried to jump and crash during countdown.
No carriers in system and my connection is perfect

It doesn't matter how many entries they add to the launcher. It's still the same game, the same executable, whether you have the DLCs or not.
I'm not entirely certain that will remain so when Odyssey is launched, only because the base game has VR support 'baked in', Horizons DLC utilised the same VR code from the base, so was likely just 'bolting on' the landable body content etc. As we have been told Odyssey will not support VR 'at launch' it may be a subtle hint that it indeed is built on an updated version of Cobra, one that didn't already contain the 'hooks' to the VR libraries.

From a snippet posted from a shareholder (some months ago) it appears he'd been told the expansion was being built on an improved engine - but as it is hearsay only...

Perhaps, as the Developer Diaries appear in the forum, we will be told - by the developers themselves - if we are looking at an engine rebuild for Odyssey.

I think there are more important things to fix atmen.
The reason you have to be on board to transfer Fuel is that you cant fly the across the universe without beeing in board.
Why they dont want that dont know
It was just one example of many half baked jobs they've put out. It just happens to be the thing that annoys me. You are of course right.

There would be 0 reason to take VR away from the Space flying. Its already implemented. Odyssey might work like Horizons, where you can't get out of the SRV/ship unless you own the expansion. Hence VR would be everywhere except the out of pilot seat experience.

FDEV has already said that ODYSSEY will not support VR (on initial release, but we all know that means it's gone). VR will be available in HORIZONS and earlier, but not in ODYSSEY.

I want to see a hybrid approach - VR in-cockpit when flying, and flat-screen for the FPS elements. Switching into and out of VR is relatively simple and I already do it all the time when I'm using the SRV (I get VR sickness from the SRV, but not from flying). It's just a couple of switches in the OPTIONS menu - this could easily be automated or they could provide a hotkey to allow switching. There's even an element of immersion in it; I "put on my helmet" when flying and take it off when exiting the ship.

From a technology stand point, it would take more to remove VR, than it would to just rebuild elite without the VR functionality.

It's stupid to think they would take VR away from spaceflight.

Not really; all they have to do is prevent selection of the VR mode in OPTIONS and VR is gone from the game.

just from a technology standpoint, there is nothing stopping them from continuing the current barebones support for vr either.

no, you can't.

if by 'support that functionality' you mean that you can 'take off your headset' (brilliant ...), the game will still be using its tracking for rendering. meaning you will need to manually place your headset in a position that centers the view on your monitor and doesn't move around, which will be awkward in most situations and plain impossible in the rest. the ideal place would be just over your head, but with the ergonomics of most headsets you would be staring at the ceiling of your cockpit (or the tenuously atmospheric sky) if you did that. not to mention that in many cases your monitor view will be a small window, likely in low resolution.

ed actually requires you to go into options, change the hmd option, and manually restart the game to switch the rendering mode.

have you even used a vr headset?

Yes, you CAN easily switch back and forth between VR and flat-screen WITHOUT restarting; I do it all the time.

You go into OPTIONS/GRAPHICS and change "3D" to OFF and then into DISPLAY and select full-screen/resolution. You're now in non-VR full-screen mode.
Reversing this is even easier: Just go back into "3D" and select "HMD". You're now back in VR mode.

There's no reason it couldn't be programmed into the game to exit VR when in FPS mode and re-enter VR when back in the cockpit.

Last edited:
No meaningful information from Frontier yet about Odyssey other than a little trailer and a few words..........and some peeps are already arguing the toss over what the launcher will look like :ROFLMAO:

Gotta love the ED community sometimes :)

Horizons DLC utilised the same VR code from the base, so was likely just 'bolting on' the landable body content etc. As we have been told Odyssey will not support VR 'at launch' it may be a subtle hint that it indeed is built on an updated version of Cobra, one that didn't already contain the 'hooks' to the VR libraries.
There is nothing in FD's announcement to suggest that Odyssey won't be bolted on the way Horizons was. There is nothing to suggest that VR support has been downgraded in the upcoming client. This is nothing but conjecture with the intent to raise the drama level up to eleven.

Given Horizons as a proof of concept, here's what is most likely to happen: If you don't have the Odyssey DLC, nothing will change. You'll have VR while sitting in the ship or in the SRV, but you won't be able to get up and walk around. If you do have the Odyssey DLC, you will have access to planets with tenuous atmospheres, but when you get up from your seat, the view will switch to 2D. It doesn't even mean you'll have to take off your headset, as they could simply project the 2D scenery onto a virtual cinema screen in VR.

The least likely thing to happen is FD maintaining two code bases and shipping two clients.

There is nothing in FD's announcement to suggest that Odyssey won't be bolted on the way Horizons was. There is nothing to suggest that VR support has been downgraded in the upcoming client. This is nothing but conjecture with the intent to raise the drama level up to eleven.

Given Horizons as a proof of concept, here's what is most likely to happen: If you don't have the Odyssey DLC, nothing will change. You'll have VR while sitting in the ship or in the SRV, but you won't be able to get up and walk around. If you do have the Odyssey DLC, you will have access to planets with tenuous atmospheres, but when you get up from your seat, the view will switch to 2D. It doesn't even mean you'll have to take off your headset, as they could simply project the 2D scenery onto a virtual cinema screen in VR.

The least likely thing to happen is FD maintaining two code bases and shipping two clients.

I agree. It would be helpful for FDev to clarify whether this is the intended plan.

There is nothing to suggest that VR support has been downgraded in the upcoming client

This is nothing but conjecture with the intent to raise the drama level up to eleven.
How would you interpret "VR will not be supported at launch" with respect to the Odyssey DLC?

I don't believe I was being particularly dramatic... That comment in itself does appear to be so, perhaps?

ETA: I assume you took the time to read this:

Last edited:
If you do have the Odyssey DLC, you will have access to planets with tenuous atmospheres, but when you get up from your seat, the view will switch to 2D. It doesn't even mean you'll have to take off your headset, as they could simply project the 2D scenery onto a virtual cinema screen in VR.
This seems incredibly unlikely. I seriously doubt there's going to be some kind of headset supported picture-in-picture for the 2D portions of the game. This kind of speculation is every bit as reachy and groundless as the people you're arguing against.

Well that's literally what they did last time. There were two code bases and two clients.

We will as soon as we can - first info landing in August, then you will find it is more regular going forward! :)

-Arf
if it was only half as regular as when you launch paint jobs,you would make the community happy.
I know you're new, but it's not the first time we've heard this from a CM, then they are almost 3 weeks in silent in the middle of a broken patch. A little seriousness please, it's time.

Where to know that from ??? Are Alpha tester or saw the new launcher ?
Not at all,you just asume that. Thats a ridiculous claim.

So I Claim there will be a new launcher with check boxes where you can choose
Elite
Horizons
Odyssey

You're Headsets will work just as normal in Ship or Srv,if you stand up in game you have the option to switch youre device in Cinema mode or use you're main Display or both,via checkbox in the options.
and I know that from my imagination. Just as you and all the other VR salt Miner !!!
So stay calm and see what will happen you still can complain if it really happens what you imagine.
Where I know it from. It is the current state of the launcher since releasing the game. As far you select Odyssey no VR will working in each combination. A hybrid solution is not working due to the different rendering.

Yes, but if you were going to implement VR in Odyssey for the spaceship bits how would it work when you switched between them? I don't have a headset so I don't know how simply this can be done.
I don't know switching render paths ingame. It's possible but not really comfortable because of loading times.

Where I know it from. It is the current state of the launcher since releasing the game. As far you select Odyssey no VR will working in each combination. A hybrid solution is not working due to the different rendering.
Like you claim "when you start odyssey no VR will work" you dont know it not a bit.
Yes the launcher was in this State for like 6 years.And there was no reason to change that cause they just release 1 DLC in this time.
So it's time to change and why not it's just a launcher !!!
So wait and see and stop claiming this fairytale or stop sounding like a old fart "we always launch Elite this way why we should change it now"

Last edited:
Top Bottom