ANNOUNCEMENT Community Update July 2020

A patch is incoming - expect news tomorrow!

-Arf
Considering the above statement also qualifies as news (-update), I'm not expecting much. You still haven't acknowledged any other problem than Tritium levels so I expect mining hotspots to be almost completely broken/meganerfed after the patch as well.

It also reads as "Please don't go" aka desperate.

Meanwhile, my carrier is still out 1000+ ly from the the nearest possible Tritium supply, at a mining hotspot. The carrier has basically alll my ships, farily little Tritium and I see no reason to choose what to do until there is information about what will be changed. So I'm not logging in until things are clearer and the game is stabilized. The lack of information is a very real problem, but I'm using the option not to play.

Last edited:
By "client", I mean the executable program that logs into FD's servers. Call it the application, the game, whatever. There is only one of them (per platform of course). Whether you launch the base game or Horizons, you're launching the same client. When you launch the base game, the launcher merely tells the client to ignore the Horizons license token (aka. "DLC") and keep the additional features locked.
Yes, I know what the client is. What I'm saying is just because it's a single executable doesn't mean Odyssey has to be able to load in VR.

That really doesn't mean it.
You are not a native english speaker or are you ?
Indeed I am.

I'll repeat what I said, I think it makes perfect sense:
No, the most likely - and almost certainly what "Odyssey will not be compatible with VR at launch" actually means - is when you launch Odyssey, VR will not work. That's the clean way to do it.

Given ED's modular design, this probably means that as soon as you leave cockpit/SRV mode, the game will no longer be rendered in VR but in 2D. And the reason for that is probably not a new renderer but the controller issue.
Technically that can be done I'm sure, switching to 2D. But in reality the intention was surely to have no VR in Odyssey at all at launch, not partly available. Why? Because it's a guddle - messy. It's not how fdev would want to do it I'm sure.

They may consider it now, thanks to the response from VR players who have made clear getting VR in everything up to first person would be an acceptable compromise, but whether it's something fdev will allow we'll need to wait and see.

It would be a compromise on their release quality (stop sniggering at the back there), putting out a VR product that didn't really work completely in VR. The experimental branch in steam idea I think is perhaps more likely, ie not the official release.

No, that is not at all what they appear to be saying; their language is very clear:

ODYSSEY WILL NOT SUPPORT VR AT LAUNCH - If you are playing ODYSSEY, then you will be playing in flat-screen.
VR WILL REMAIN COMPATIBLE WITH THE BASE GAME AND HORIZONS - If you play HORIZONS or the base game, then you will be able to play in VR.

I really have no idea why there is so much debate over these two lines when the meaning is so very crystal clear.
This.

I hope in the coming weeks and months you will all see we are being more open with the informtion we have.

More transparency and communication about the development and future of Elite would be a very welcome improvement for the community. No offense Arthur, but we HAVE heard this before unfortunately. Frontier can only state this so many times without doing it before people lost faith.

Please don't let this time just be another empty statement. More communication is sorely needed.

More transparency and communication about the development and future of Elite would be a very welcome improvement for the community. No offense Arthur, but we HAVE heard this before unfortunately. Frontier can only state this so many times without doing it before people lost faith.

Please don't let this time just be another empty statement. More communication is sorely needed.
Agree completely, it's got to be meaningful communication with real substance.

And I'd add a small personal request that someone gets hold of a thesaurus and finds a different word to use instead of 'excited'. It's a terrible cliche, and puts me in a bad mood before I've read any further.

Have you ever read/seen waiting for Godot?
No. I'm very fortunate that that particular bit of mental torture wasn't included in my Uni's curriculum. "To the Lighthouse", however, was, a pointlessly over-hyped "novel" which, to my mind, counts as a violation of several sections of the Geneva Conventions. Chinese water torture is the epitome of humane treatment compared to the entire concept of "post-modernism."

Have you every considered to mine your fuel? That's what I'm doing since release of the FCs - and I explore my own Tritium hotspots in unknown territory, so don't tell me that's not going to work. Is this so much ba ba? Or do you just hate mining?

Well I'm sitting in a double overlap of Tritium with no Tritium in it 58Kly from the bubble so good luck with that FF.

Well I'm sitting in a double overlap of Tritium with no Tritium in it 58Kly from the bubble so good luck with that FF.
Strange. I went mining for the usual precious metals and I came away with Tritium and very little Gold and Palladium. Wasn't even looking for it. Pristine Metallic ring 65ly from bubble. Depends your luck I think or perhaps Fdev have crossed their wires and have Tritium hotspots that DON'T generate Tritium and Metal deposits that do?

Then you must be doing something wrong: I'm always fine with single Tritium hotspots. My current presence deep in the Formidine Rift relies exclusively on mining 'on the road', I've started with a minimal supply from Colonia - to the bubble and from there to the Rift. Never bought a single ton of Tritium. So it hardly can be based on pure luck.

That said, hot spots can be quite volatile. But I never had such bad luck to find nothing in a Tritium hotspot. So this part is hard to believe.

Me and all the other CMDRs having trouble, your not, and I'm hard to believe?

It's WAAAY too late now, but if Fdev had have made carriers an in-game NPC Environment feature, then there would only need to be the occasional carrier or two in a system, and everyone would be welcome to visit it, much like a station, and they randomly spawn/generate/populate, whatever, in any given system.

This way, you don't get:
..an absolute haystack flustercuck of random named sources, that are distracting and smothered all over your POI-laden scanned planet that you are trying to survey.
You don't get people exploiting the game to the point of completely breaking it. (players with a Fleet Carrier now have a MASSIVE advantage over players without- (thanks for bringing class system to ED, Fdev.. smh/EYEROLLINGHARD). Now everyone else has been impoverished and has literally NO chance of crossing that class divide between ''have's'' and ''have-not's''.

You don't have a need for players to wreck the game yet again by buying up all the available resources in a public trade hub, or sucking dry a planet and/or ring of resources, so there's nothing left for other players who eventually get there in their run-down beaten up DBX, trying to get a few CRs scraped together for a new ship, let alone a Fleet carrier, (let's face it, dreams of a fleet carrier are gonna always be dreams to the Nerf-impoverished now).

You wouldn't have to have all this nerfing going on in the first place!!!!!

TL;DR
Fdev should have made Fleet Carriers NPC based much like how space stations are. Then there would have been new content and not a gold rush to break the game open like an egg- forcing Fdev to have to nerf the hell out of it, causing massive grief and game-blocking headache for everyone else. <Takes a breath>

It's WAAAY too late now, but if Fdev had have made carriers an in-game NPC Environment feature, then there would only need to be the occasional carrier or two in a system, and everyone would be welcome to visit it, much like a station, and they randomly spawn/generate/populate, whatever, in any given system.

This way, you don't get:
..an absolute haystack flustercuck of random named sources, that are distracting and smothered all over your POI-laden scanned planet that you are trying to survey.
You don't get people exploiting the game to the point of completely breaking it. (players with a Fleet Carrier now have a MASSIVE advantage over players without- (thanks for bringing class system to ED, Fdev.. smh/EYEROLLINGHARD). Now everyone else has been impoverished and has literally NO chance of crossing that class divide between ''have's'' and ''have-not's''.

You don't have a need for players to wreck the game yet again by buying up all the available resources in a public trade hub, or sucking dry a planet and/or ring of resources, so there's nothing left for other players who eventually get there in their run-down beaten up DBX, trying to get a few CRs scraped together for a new ship, let alone a Fleet carrier, (let's face it, dreams of a fleet carrier are gonna always be dreams to the Nerf-impoverished now).

You wouldn't have to have all this nerfing going on in the first place!!!!!

TL;DR
Fdev should have made Fleet Carriers NPC based much like how space stations are. Then there would have been new content and not a gold rush to break the game open like an egg- forcing Fdev to have to nerf the hell out of it, causing massive grief and game-blocking headache for everyone else. <Takes a breath>

Buying out all resources? Sucking a planetary ring dry? I'm noooot entirely sure you know how this game works, man...

@Khoraak
When the Game was released there was so little Credits to make i flew
A Sidewinder for 2 Weeks
A Hauler for 3 Weeks dm*damit
A Cobra for 3 Months
A Vulture for 3 Months
To shorten this it takes me over a Year to afford an Anaconda so please stop wining ^^
Now I can afford a Carrier but I make my money the last 5 years (including Alpha) see you in 5 years with you're own ;)

They may consider it now, thanks to the response from VR players who have made clear getting VR in everything up to first person would be an acceptable compromise
Response ? You mean they constantly whine,salted and play drama queens ? Then yes ^^
And maybe we find it out one day you where all right or even wrong ^^.
Got a Headset by myself btw, and just pretty ordered the Hp reverb 2 but you never hear me drama around ^^

We will as soon as we can - first info landing in August, then you will find it is more regular going forward! :)

-Arf
Before you get me excited talking about stuff that i cannot use for another 6 months, any chance you could talk about the stuff that is actually already released that i cannot use properly as it needs fixing/improving/imput?

That really would be exciting information indeed.

Top Bottom